how do you say mjolnir

Status
Not open for further replies.
ecose said:
is it (me-yol-nir) or (m-jol-nir) i really dont know how to prononciate
Found on a Marvel discussion thread...
"Mjolnir (myOl-near)

Short m followed by a short y (in the same sillible), then a long O & then a short l. You end it by say the word near.

Do not say (My-ol-near). Or (Me-ol-near).
"

Those are pronunciations I found somewhere, but I do believe you pronounce the 'j' as a 'y'

Last edited by a moderator:
23Magnum said:
Mjolnir (myOl-near)

Short m followed by a short y (in the same sillible), then a long O & then a short l. You end it by say the word near.

Do not say (My-ol-near). Or (Me-ol-near).

Those are pronunciations I found somewhere, but I do believe you pronounce the 'j' as a 'y'

Sigma-LS said:
Mee-yole-near

Check the original site for the specifics (www.mjolnirarmor.com)

whos right?

http://mjolnirarmor.com/what-is-mjolnir-armor.shtml

What is MJOLNIR Armor?

Well first off, it's pronounced Mee Yole Near, yes - the "j" is pronounced like a "y". It is named for the hammer that Thor used in ancient mythology.

The origin for the word "Mjolnir" is unknown though eptymological speculation has provided thories for its literal translation. The Icelandic verbs mølva (to crush) and mala (to grind) have been suggested as possible translations while another theory suggests that Mjolnir might be related to the Russian word mólnija and the Welsh word mellt (both words being translated as "lightning"). This second theory parallels with the idea that Thor was the god of thunder, therefore might have used lightning as his weapon.

So says adam. I also remember them saying that way on the H2 collector's disc.

Mjol·nir /ˈmyɔlnɪr/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[myawl-nir] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun Scandinavian Mythology.
the hammer of Thor, used as a weapon against the Jotuns, heard as thunder by humans.
[Origin: < ON Mjǫllnir, akin to OCS mlĭniji, Russ mólniya, OPruss mealde lightning, Latvian milna hammer of the thunder god]

Cited from dictionary dot com, which sites from other sources

23Magnum said:
Yes, but where'd he get his information from? Maybe it was incorrect.
In any case, I'll try asking my brother who's into all the old English and historical stuff from Europe, so he may know for sure.

thank you that would be nice

Sigma-LS said:
I just realized with a Texas accent, both ways sound practically the same. :lol:

I'll concede to you guys. ;)

so we are all agreed on (meYOL-near)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back