Hughs Odst Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
That ODST helm details are amazing and it transferred over to the pep great. I have always wanted to try and make the protect gear from Jin-Roh I have seen one person on-line that made it and it looks just like it came out of the anime having a some pep files for it would be great.

Thanks guys! I've been a little distracted and had to attend family stuff over the weekend so I didn't get to start glassing and sanding. IF nothing crazy happens this weekend and I get to work on the ODST armor I'll get the protect gear files together and post them while I'm waiting for the parts to cure :)

@gmstrowabarton, thanks a lot! I have too, but I've only seen NAS do it. I would really like to see that build you were talking about because I'm wondering how to pull off a cool glowing eyes effect :)

@ONESHOTKILL808,

For hard surface objects I like to break things up like I see them. So wherever there is a detail line I created a new object. I start by creating a single plane and aligning it to a flat area on the reference images. I slowly extrude edge by edge, adjusting verts, and creating a very low rez blockout that holds the same shape. Once the blockout is complete I start to add more resolution to the model/piece. I'll probably make a time lapse on how I go about doing this someday. But it differs depending on what you build. For instance, I go a completely different route when I work on creatures and people. In case of working on humans, you have to spend a lot of time studying bone and muscle structure. As well as have a kind of sculptors eye and be able to tweak your work as you go.

wip1.jpg

wip2.jpg

26292_369669337192_506047192_477890.jpg

Good looking detailed models are just a matter of how much time you spend critically looking at your work. Nothing you do in 3d is going to start out pretty. :)

So, I've fallen a bit behind on the project but I made a little bit of progress last night bringing the parts together and scaling them. I had to build a basic body using my own proportions. It was very low res but I only needed enough geometry to ensure certain areas were the right size for the armor. After that I threw in a simple posing rig an set up this render.

HughsODSTWIP3.jpg

This is what the finished pep armor will look like on someone with my build. I am about 72 in tall.

So at this moment all of my armor pieces are scaled and finished, for the most part. There are parts like the bracers that I'm going to continue to add detail to when I'm about to build them. There are other steps I need to do before I can get all of these pieces into pep though. For instance, remove some of the holding edges on the core chest armor. I will also need to break it up into smaller pieces, kind of like what I did for the helmet but without all of the many small tedious folds. This way the chest can retain it's shape well when all of the parts are mounted on it.

Capestranus said:
Your 3D modelling skills are amazing!

Good luck with your armour!

Good luck with your film! I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I will release the armor files :)

I'm going to make them available as I start building each part. Next up will be the core chest armor and the shoulders.

I love the finished model you made. Looks so nice!! Also the little glipse you gave of different stages of that human model were cool to see how it progresses. Very nice work!!

Man, If you are 7 feet tall, you should be a SPARTAN :p

but its your build so good luck on your ODST!!!

btw

Want to see you in the Get-Together!! :p

Alex spartan177 said:
Man, If you are 7 feet tall, you should be a SPARTAN :p

but its your build so good luck on your ODST!!!

btw

Want to see you in the Get-Together!! :p

72 inches is 6 feet :)

Sounds good man, when is it?

Hugh Stephen Holder III said:
72 inches is 6 feet :)

Sounds good man, when is it?

My bad, I mis-readed :p

Well then Im a 2 inches shorter :p

I will hae to ask my Dad, when he will have the thing half empty so we can go in and work on our stuff, because you know it takes a lot of space to work with resin and stuff :p

But I bet it will be soon

Nice render Hugh!! I like the way it all came together as a "pep-friendly" model. Like I said, if you need help with unfolding, let me know brother. Keep up the good work man.

Spartan_T77 said:
wow you really go in depth. What software did you use for your initial rendering?

:)

I use either Maya or Zbrush to render out my models, depends on what they are and if I'm texturing/shading them. Although, I find that Zbrush also has been a very good way to show wireframe on models.

Most of the time though everything comes back into Maya to be rendered because the final product requires it, i.e. game model/cg asset/ect.

If it's a personal project, I like to render in Softimage. I find it's node based system easier to work with, and being able to "window" a part of your model and have it do a quick render is really awesome! But rendering is about the extent of it. Softimage's modeling tools aren't as intuitive as Maya's in my opinion, but to each their own. There are also many other quirks about the program that I don't really care for, specifically the UV editing program. :(

Made some progress over the weekend. Got the helm resined and rondoed :D

It wasn't too difficult, but I think I may have used too much hardener on both processes. Doesn't matter though because most of the areas needing refinement are over broad areas.

WIP100519Resin1.jpg

WIP100519Resin3.jpg

WIP100519Resin2.jpg

Last night I finished up hardening areas around the neck seal. I have thought about doing away with the seal altogether and using type of rubber weather strip instead, but for casting purposes I'm going to leave it because it adds to the overall look of the helmet imo. I'll worry about that road when I come to it.

After the rondo I added a light coat of primer to pull elements together and help me see what all I would need to smooth out. Turns out I'll need to do quite a bit, but I'm going to sand down to the sharp corners, not over them.

WIP100519Primed4.jpg

WIP100519Primed2.jpg

I went ahead and drilled the holes for the quarter inch screws on either side. Though they take up much of the indent. I'm kind of worried about that but the next smallest screws were too small.

WIP100519Primed3.jpg

So I'm planning on spending the weekend refining this thing as best I can. I'm not sure how long it will be before I start with the molds and there is still so much left to do.

As for the rest of the armor, the core chest and all the assets as well as the shoulders are about ready to go. This will be the next big challenge:

Chest.jpg

Chestexploded.jpg

And I'm still scratching my head about the visor. I'm not going to cut motorcycle visors, and I only want a vacuum formed visor if I can get blue mirrored tint on it. I may have to send out a custom order for a bunch

Looks good Hugh. In regards to the visor, you might try to contact Sean Bradley. He offered some blue vacuum pulls, though they weren't mirrored, like you're looking for. The chest components look really good too. I'm glad to see everything coming together for you.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back