I Don't Get This... I May Be New, But This Is Just Weird To Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PainTrane

I may be new to these forums, but I ain't a noob when it comes to this. I've seen some frickin awesome Halo weapons on here. Awesomely detailed, just flat out cool. But what I don't get is why someone will put so much effort into a replica, then try to paint it and make it look exactly like the in-game textures.

Military arms straight from the assembly line don't look all used and don't have a worn-out type of rough texture on them. They are gun-metal black with stainless steel and/or chrome metal parts. I'm a long-time shooter and Halo fanatic. I ain't a noob in this department.

So seriously, when you guys make an awesome gun, make it look new like it just came from the factory!

Give your works of art a matt black finish, with chrome/stainless highlights. Make the thing look prestine! I'm not saying to make it all glossy and shiny. Just make it look like a real gun. If you don't know what I mean, go to some gun shops and look at the AR-15s, AK-47s, MP5s, FN FALs, etc. You'll see what I mean.

Good luck!

problem, think troops keep a bottle of metal polish in their packs, and get it parade-ground shiny after every combat situation? Millitary is not about looks, if it works, that's good. Yeah, it can't be caked with mud, but weapons go through rough stuff. Dropped,scraped aginst walls, all sorts of stuff. IT doesn't look very realistic to have a shiny gun next to a beat-up trooper. And Armor takes even MORE punishment. Gun shops do not sell combat-used weapons. Google some images of weapons in Iraq right now. It becomes clear how beat up they get.

EDIT: look...

http://www.spareammo.com/posters/m16a4-mars-surefire-foregrip-iraq-marines_440x293.jpg

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20081107/wwip1108/IRAQ.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/M-14_Demonstration_in_Iraq,_2006.jpg

These arn't too bad, but Halo is a much "dirtier" war than Iraq. There's a lot more actual combat, shootouts, stuff goes through a LOT. You can see how dusty these are, some scratches, etc. Combat weapons are not made to be in trophy cases. sorry.

its all opinion or preference. some people dont care about having something look exactly like the game or movie versions of whatever theyre making, and some people absolutely hate it unless its 100% accurate. it all boils down to the individual and what they want. there are no standards.

I figured someone would say that, and you're absolutely right. But the textures these people do on their replicas just look flat-out fake and unconvincing. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to see if anyone gets what I'm saying. But yeah, obviously things will get used. I'll try and find a picture of what I mean and post it.

Well... In a sense, you are right, guns (in general) should look all new and shiny, but not every soldier in the battle feild has time to polish their rifle. I also think that It is really a matter of if the person who makes a prop look a certain way. If Bob here wants to make his gun look like it went through a huge battle along with him, I think that's pretty O.K. In some cases It looks more realistic If a gun does look a certain way. Just some food for thought.

A large number of people here simply do not like the fresh-off-the-line look. I prefer the been-through-hell-and-back look. Also, the weapons (IMO) look too clean without proper weathering, and therefore look too uniform and... well... have not been through combat. You must understand that people here do not LOVE the fresh-off-the-shelf armour look, and its the same with weapons. If you have a heavilly weathered costume with a brand new looking weapon, its not going to add up. Although we understand weapons are issued all the time before operations to hardened veterans, The weapons become beaten during the battle. Nothing in combat goes perfectly, so I believe it should be the same with the look and feel of your armour and/or weapons.

The reason some props look weird is because some people can't paint. You can have AMAZING battle-damaged things, man. I've seen 'em.

Also, BD is awesome. My dad's mauser has a used and abused stock, but it accentuates the rifle's look with all its little dings and scratches.

Buddy, I know your'e new here, but you need to tone it down. These people have worked very hard on their projects and there is no reason to put them down for it. So what if they want their paintjobs to look like they have been through a war. How does this affect you in any way? When you make your own weapon or armor, you can paint it however the hell you want and we will not criticize you for it. So please, extend everyone just a little bit of courtesy. If you don't, you will find yourself very unwelcome here.

First, it doesn't look that bad. Part of the reason lies in technique, and tools. Spray cans are HORRIBLE for painting metal, and such. I should go write a tut on airbrushing... I should do that. Now, can you provide us with a picture showing how awesome you are at painting pristine finishes? The problem usually lies in subtlety. Most weathering can be a bit heavy-handed. The trick is layers. Add a layer, then repeat. IT takes longer, but the results are worth it. The other problem can lie in the actual object. It gives the impression of bad paint. Example, no problems with Link, but on his mag, the engraving is a bit soft. When you put a wash on there, it highlights that, and hurts the overall paint job. I forgot who it was, but he made a SOCOM pistol. AMAZING detail, and with paint, it looked like a real gun. The other problem lies in drybrushing. It works, but I prefer my weathering in actual chips. I don;t have any large-scale pics to make an example of, they're all on plastic models. But that's the way... that does it. I'm writing a tutorial.

EDIT: and yes, I ageree with Templar. Don;t bash other people's projects. You may notice something wrong, but dont' necessarily come out and say it's fake.

Templar said:
Buddy, I know your'e new here, but you need to tone it down. These people have worked very hard on their projects and there is no reason to put them down for it. So what if they want their paintjobs to look like they have been through a war. How does this affect you in any way? When you make your own weapon or armor, you can paint it however the hell you want and we will not criticize you for it. So please, extend everyone just a little bit of courtesy. If you don't, you will find yourself very unwelcome here.

I agree

Last edited by a moderator:
PainTrane said:
Yeah, makes sense and all, but can't one make a gun look used but not fake and painted at the same time?

again, this is an opinion topic. you cant fight opinion with opinion, you have to fight it with fact. but in this case, every answer is a different persons opinion. there isnt a wrong or a right. just what bob does, and sally does, and jim does, and on and on.

Queen said:
The reason some props look weird is because some people can't paint. You can have AMAZING battle-damaged things, man. I've seen 'em.

100% agreed. you have great painters like Ithica's wife, and you have barely decent painters, like myself. but dont speak poorly of anyone elses work on any level (paint, pep, build, etc.), its not really what the site promotes. constructive criticism is, of course, always welcomed, and everyone knows where the line is drawn between the two.

Honestly I love the battle worn and beaten look. When it comes to real weapons I want it to have been dragged through water, rock, and sand. I want the history and human element of it all engraved on the gun itself.

To hold an object in your hand and see its history written in every scratch and ding, that is what makes it something REAL.

My Mosin Nagant awes me to think if only I could recreate that detailed history with something so simple as paint and a little brushwork here or there.

Perfection is impossible but with effort you can come pretty darn close.

M07Marauder said:
Honestly I love the battle worn and beaten look. When it comes to real weapons I want it to have been dragged through water, rock, and sand. I want the history and human element of it all engraved on the gun itself.

To hold an object in your hand and see its history written in every scratch and ding, that is what makes it something REAL.

My Mosin Nagant awes me to think if only I could recreate that detailed history with something so simple as paint and a little brushwork here or there.

Perfection is impossible but with effort you can come pretty darn close.

That has to be the most eloquent thing to have been posted on this website. Beautiful. *Sniffling*

Cayoke said:
You could just amek it look like a new gun but let it actually weather

Not really. The weathered look comes from rust and oxidation of the metal. Fiberglass and bondo will do neither.

PainTrane said:
THIS IS A GOOD AND REALISTIC PAINT JOB:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15685&st=420

*round of applause*

That's because it was done by Rube. He's an artist beyond artists...

Good paint job, but could use some light weathering. An oil was in the triangle sections, a few scrapes around the handle area, and possibily a bit of dust... Weathering is realistic, it's just about application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back