I think a particular trend in the classifieds need's to reverse itself V PM's

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubachris85x

I'm frankly kinda getting annoyed by this. I've been on many forums for many years now, and this is the only place where I see people asking the seller to PM/Email them, instead of the person who's interested in pricing, sending them an email on their own!

What's up with that? I feel the logic behind that is flawed if your expecting a good timeline between responses. I say that because I'm not on this board or anyother forum 24/7, alot LESS for that matter. As a seller, I don't wouldn't want to spend the time sending emails out to individual people who request it for these reasons:

A: Requestor is asking for price only, not committed to buy/purchase from you.
B: Those that actually take the time to email you who show more potential as a customer have to wait even longer while you send many other PMs to those that do not
C: Not always on the board! Email notifications will tell us if we got a PM, from multiple locations

Frankly, I just find it lazy. If your not willing to take the time to email/PM someone about something, then why take the time out of the seller's day?

/rant

Just my opinion... I am not an infantryman, and have not seen any classifieds on these forums, but If the seller were to list all relevant information (price, shipping, availability, etc) in the posting, there would be no reason for sending an e-mail or Personal Message for any reason other than to place an order. Including all information in the posting as well as stated a preferred method of contact may help to resolve any issues you may be having.

Again, just my $0.02

Just my opinion... I am not an infantryman, and have not seen any classifieds on these forums, but If the seller were to list all relevant information (price, shipping, availability, etc) in the posting, there would be no reason for sending an e-mail or Personal Message for any reason other than to place an order. Including all information in the posting as well as stated a preferred method of contact may help to resolve any issues you may be having.

Again, just my $0.02
That is the thing, you can put preferred method of contact, payment and availability but you cannot post price of the object and (not entirely certain but pretty sure) the shipping of the object. It is against 405th policy, dont blame me blame the rule book. Now if the thing is something that was store bought and not custom by ANYONE on ANY FORUM but by say a toy making company, go ahead, post the price it is allowed.
Again just the rules.

That is the thing, you can put preferred method of contact, payment and availability but you cannot post price of the object and (not entirely certain but pretty sure) the shipping of the object. It is against 405th policy, dont blame me blame the rule book. Now if the thing is something that was store bought and not custom by ANYONE on ANY FORUM but by say a toy making company, go ahead, post the price it is allowed.
Again just the rules.

My appologies. As I mentioned, I dont have access and I am unaware of the rules. I dont understand why you would not be allowed to post a price or shipping methods, but Im sure there is a good reason.

Wait, does the 405th board allow for multi-recipient or carbon-copy PMs? If it does, wouldn't asking for PMs actually make it easier, because you could send everyone who asks in a day, one big PM with all the pricing info, simultaneously?

I mean, that's just conjecture, based on my knowledge of VBulletin's available features. I haven't bothered to look.

While I understand general frustration about having to submit to the whims of your potential customers, well, that's kind of the snag of business. It's no skin off the customer's nose if you choose not to do business with them, but you're the one losing money in supplies you bought to create the product you end up not selling. I do think both parties should be as civil as possible. When I converse with anyone about business, I always show as much courtesy as I can.

So, I guess, sellers, deal with people asking for PMs for pricing, since you can't advertise, and buyers, ask nicely and be civil. It's a bit of a compromise, but if it ends with money in an artisan's pocket and a fine product in a customer's hands, it can't be all that bad.

if i was selling things i would go the way that it is practiced now if the seller send a message the buyer knows exactly how much money to put up coz i know evryone hates getting lowballed

Kind of silly to be annoyed by something so trivial....some people just look for things I reckon.

Kind of silly to be annoyed by something so trivial....some people just look for things I reckon.

Trivial perhaps, but by letting it continue we promote a "gimme gimme" kind of attitude. Overall it's a seller's choice whether to pm all those people back, but it would be great if more people took the initiative to message the seller first.

Yea, I could make a mass PM and then have to go through the thread and find who ever asks for it.

I remember on the Dented Helmet, that they'd send a mass PM to everybody on the forum promoting "the new FPH boba" or whatever. Did I ask for it? No. It was pretty much spam to my account because it was not requested but sent to the masses.

As it has been said above, it feeds to rhe "gimme now!" generation. I like to sell services when i can, but it really distinguishes those who are actually wanting that item and those wasting your time.

Heck, I can PM someone asking a question, but it's really their choice wether or not to respond, which could be for many reasons. I've seen it here where those that have not recieved a PM from a seller, would rather go back to the thread and post about "woe is me," than to actually send them a directed message

personally as a seller on other forums. I just reply to those who pm me and ignore the rest. If they were really interested, they would take the step to pm you first

Curious how you made mention to this. We had been bouncing ideas back and forth about rules for the classifieds for some time, and this is one of the new rules... no more PM me and tell me your price. Just came a day after your post. In any event, problem solved, thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back