Jorge Project - Decreasing noob level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[WIP]Jorge Project - Decreasing noob level. [Pic heavy]

Hey guys, revamping the initial post as I've been here a month now. This is my very first attempt at halo armor. Jorge's armor is extremely challenging in places, but feel free to follow my progress through this epic and resin soaked journey. :p

Any tips from people who have made full suits will always be appreciated as there's still so much I am learning.

Here are the pics:

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

Alright now the ball is rolling so to speak here is the list:

Helmet: Pepped, Resined, rondoed, [Currently bondo - sanding]
Shoulder Left - Pepped and resined [Resin stage]
Shoulder Right - Pepped and resined, Rondoed.
Hand plate left - Pepped
Hand plate right - Cutting pep pieces
Forearm Left w/attachment - Pepped
Forearm right w/attachment - Not started
Upper arm left - pepped
Upper arm right - Not started
Chest- Pepping in progress
Crotch piece - Not started
Upper leg left -Not started
Upper leg right - Not started
Lower leg piece left - Pepped
Lower leg piece right - Not started
Boot left - Not started
Boot right- Not started.
Backpack - Not started.

Helicopter unmounted anti personnel gun - Design phase. Scratch build.

Wow seeing that list on screen now makes it daunting and makes me want to work even harder on this.

Hey man, If You are using ForgeReclaimers helmet his helmet attachment is in the unfold. You need to Zoom out alot to see it in the upper left area. Just gotta drag the piece onto one of the pages. You might also want to unfold it a bit yourself (cause that's what i had to do to make it lol). Hope that helped :D

Your Help looks good. You fibreglassing or rondoing?

Thanks for replying man! I think I will rondo. I don't have any cons scheduled so I am happy to get it done steadily. Got the arms done need to build the attachments. Will be sure to add pics as I progress.

Small update: Thanks to Fooleycooleyman managed to get Jorge's helmet attachment done. Didn't glue it to the main piece, will resin it separately so I can attach it later. Did some base Reach arms, didn't scale, tried to see how they work as a base. I think they look too small personally.

IMG_2442.jpg

EDIT: clearing up unwanted pics.

Well considering the cartridges are sitting in the presealed pouches and haven't been opened yet. I have yet to use it. I'll attach them once I'm ready to do the resin stage. I like my lungs too much, grown quite attached to them.

Well considering the cartridges are sitting in the presealed pouches and haven't been opened yet. I have yet to use it. I'll attach them once I'm ready to do the resin stage. I like my lungs too much, grown quite attached to them.

Strange. What kind of filters are those? I have a pair of 6055 A2 filters sitting right here and the pack looks all different. It's only half as thick and aside from a short, foolproof picture-manual on top it's all white, while yours is covered in text.

But well, as long as you use them, it's all right. Just wanted to make sure, because believe it or not, there are people who think the mask alone will save them. I've seen it myself ;-)

These are *reads*...60921 P100 organic vapor cartridges. I picked em up for sanding too. I'm honestly not sure if these are up the for job for resin. But they say they are for the 6000/7000 series. If these are the wrong ones I will get another set. They cost like 30 bucks so I imagine I can't be *too* far off. Which ones are the recommended type?:)

These are *reads*...60921 P100 organic vapor cartridges. I picked em up for sanding too. I'm honestly not sure if these are up the for job for resin. But they say they are for the 6000/7000 series. If these are the wrong ones I will get another set. They cost like 30 bucks so I imagine I can't be *too* far off. Which ones are the recommended type?:)

Ah, according to 3M's website, these are combination filters against both organic fumes and particles. That's why they're thicker than mine. I don't know how they relate to mine in terms of efficiency, however, because they are from different continents and as usual (surprise!) everything is different. If you still have doubts, you should give 3M a call, they can probably tell you.

You should note that the fact that those filters fit on the mask tells you nothing about what they do. There are filters available against very specific substances and they all do fit, so in theory, you might have perfectly good filters and still be exposed.

I called 3M yesterday. She said for hobbying (which this is) It will be sufficient. She gave me a very prepared speech about how it might not be appropriate and how 3M isn't liable for giving out such information. Which put a huge glob of doubt in my mind. I've got a friend who does body work on cars for a living. He said as long as it's a 2 stage filter, it will protect me from the fumes. I trust his insight as he wears a full face mask when he repaints cars so he knows his info. Still, bit discouraging 3M didn't recommend me a better respirator from their line up.

I called 3M yesterday. She said for hobbying (which this is) It will be sufficient. She gave me a very prepared speech about how it might not be appropriate and how 3M isn't liable for giving out such information. Which put a huge glob of doubt in my mind. I've got a friend who does body work on cars for a living. He said as long as it's a 2 stage filter, it will protect me from the fumes. I trust his insight as he wears a full face mask when he repaints cars so he knows his info. Still, bit discouraging 3M didn't recommend me a better respirator from their line up.

Yeah, they just have to let loose that law-babble so you can't sue them. If you have a look into the manuals (my package actually contained three of those, one for the mask and one per type of filter), they all say "protects agains blah if used correctly".
The good thing about resin, however, is that you can easily smell it. If you do, something's wrong. If not, you're all right. Also, make sure to check the proper fit before every use with an over- and underpressure test and try not to sneeze, yawn or laugh while wearing the mask ;-)

Ok! Respirator works like a charm. I started the first half of resiningingingiging the helm. I was sitting there going 'Man this stuff doesn't have fumes at all.' ...until I finished and took the mask off outside and was hit by a tsunami of delicious death fume. So I'm liking the respirator for now. I will get a better one I think though for the next pieces. I will post pics as soon as Jorge's face is dry.

Ok! Respirator works like a charm. I started the first half of resiningingingiging the helm. I was sitting there going 'Man this stuff doesn't have fumes at all.' ...until I finished and took the mask off outside and was hit by a tsunami of delicious death fume. So I'm liking the respirator for now. I will get a better one I think though for the next pieces. I will post pics as soon as Jorge's face is dry.

If you didn't smell anything, then there's no need to get other filters and especially not another respirator :)

Just a small update: Layered on first coat of resin to keep the helmets shape. Seems to have done that alright. I put only a very thin layer of resin as I read this can destroy the helmet if you don't. I'm going to slush rondo on the inside as per Ben Streeper's vid on helmet making just to reinforce the whole thing. Should I layer more resin on the outside or will taking rondo and coating the exterior be enough to do the job ?

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

Should I layer more resin on the outside or will taking rondo and coating the exterior be enough to do the job ?

Nice work :)

I wonder what your cups are made from... I used common LD-PE cups and they survived just fine.

You've got to apply resin layers until the thing is hard enough to withstand the rondoing, so one thin layer is probably not enough.

The cup was obviously made of fail. lol. I got some clear ones and they didn't get destroyed. :) Thought it made a fun pic though. Plastic is tougher than skin...so kinda scary!

Cup has enough resin in the bottom, that if you mixed a bit to much hardener, the reaction would be hot enough to melt a plastic party cup easily. Lucky for you, normally by the time the cup is hot enough to melt, the resin is hard enough that it wont run and puddle causing a huge mess.

Cup has enough resin in the bottom, that if you mixed a bit to much hardener, the reaction would be hot enough to melt a plastic party cup easily. Lucky for you, normally by the time the cup is hot enough to melt, the resin is hard enough that it wont run and puddle causing a huge mess.

This definitely confirms that my resin is totally different from yours. When I mixed my first batch, I accidentally poured in about 20 times the required hardener. It did get quite warm, but it still didn't melt the cup. I didn't even burn my fingers when I touched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back