Jorge Project - Decreasing noob level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You asked for honest criticism on your helmet . looks like all you need is just a little finishing standing and you will be ready for paint:) I’m hoping my helmet comes out that nice. What are you going to use for sanding in the earpieces ? On your forearm piece how are you planning on attaching the additional armor ?

Your work is coming out great for your first time building !

Man sorry for the delay in responding! Work has me doing circles right now. Thanks for the crit, I appreciate it. The sanding takes forever, but it's slowly getting to where I am happy with it. Still more to go. Oy. My girlfriend's dad just gave me his 70 piece dremmel set, so I'm going to see if I can find something small to sand the ears. It's tricky as they are so recessed. With regards to the arm pieces, I used a different Reach pep file than you did, but that isn't an issue. If you look at your lil Jorge figurine (I have one too ;) ) - you'll see that the buckles on that attachment are quite large. My current plan is to resin the outside, then rondo the inside to the brim. So the surface on the interior is one solid piece of bondo. This will then make it more solid to attach to the forearm. I have another plan for the buckles. But hell man, we'll sort ideas as we progress with our pieces. Collaboration for the Jorge squad lol

I agree. It may have kind of a "bumpy" look, but those are all just holes and scratches from spreading the putty, nothing big. The only thing I'm not sure about is the mouth section. That looks really round, don't know if it's supposed to be that way.

yeah you're right vent, I've got to do another bondo layer to fill those gaps. It's tedious, but it is getting cleaner. The front is angled, I just realized how so. Ugh, thanks for pointing it out though man! I'd prefer honesty to a pat on the head. More work!

Why is it that your shoulder piece is always upside down? Other than that, you are looking mighty fine with the build.

Hahaha. I can tell you why. And this is a delicate description. I'm an idiot. lol. I just realized this. Thank you! Thanks for the encouragement too.

Next photo will be taken the right way up I promise!

It's looking very good. Just fix some of the holes in the bondo and it will be almost done. It is looking like it is going to be pretty heavy. I wouldn't reccomend filling the shoulder with bondo. For one it is going to cost a lot of extra money, for two if it is too heavy, it will want to fall off, or sag down. If you could make it hollow it would be much better. On my shoulder pieces I made them hollow, but even then they were still too heavy, and wanted to sag down.

Sheeesh. Long day. But I think the helmet is on the cusp of being done. I think this puppy is ready for detailing now. Looks smooth to me. There are a few tiny divets left, but it looks so much cleaner all around. This is a two part post today. If I stop talking on the forums and go back to the work bench, I might have a surprise posted by tonight. Well you can guess it, coz it's going to be armor....lol. Still gotta tweak those ear things. I really don't like them at all, I might seal them up, still debating.
IMG_2702.jpg
The madness!!

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg
I think it's smooth...I think...so long sanding...losing mind...

I agree with you, those earpieces are the only thing I’m not liking about your helmet. This is just a thought to pass along but at work for my metal detailing. I use something called a high-speed I use both air and electric versions of the tool and my best of choice for detail is a rotary file. I don’t know if they make something like that for the dremmel. If they did that might be the trick to getting inside the ear pieces just a thought. Just a heads up they removed an incredible amount of material. I saw that we have different forearm pieces and thinking about just making my straps out of aluminum and making buckles that connects the bolts on the forearm. That’s my collaboration thoughts for the day

Its looking good !!

Yeah the more I look at the ear pieces, the dumber they look. I mean they serve no actual purpose. I am tempted to cut them out and replace them with speaker mesh. I'm thinking ventilation for the helmet too as it's going to be as hot as hades in here. That way the vents wouldn't be gawking open and at least would look finished. Crazy thing is we've got a huge compressor in the yard and air tools. I don't think we have any air cutting tools though. Will have to look (her dad has EVERYTHING. lol.)

As for the forearm, I had a similar notion. Large buckles to hold the piece in place would be a good idea, and will weigh less than bondoing the surface. The problem lies in the attachment not being designed exactly for the forearm piece, so it makes it hard to seat it. I think strapping would work as it is technically not part of the standard armor. In the game it's referred to as additional reactive armor, so I think it's designed to pop it off.

On a side note, currently building Rhinoc's chest piece, I wasn't here for the whole controversial Ace High thingy, so I missed out on that other file. Currently, I'm really tempted to build a scratch piece out of clay unless I can figure something else out. But then again I'm on no deadline, so no need to rush!

Mini update here. Cut out the visor before work here. Now I will be able to get at those annoying edges and sand them down into smoothness. With the visor there before it made it almost impossible. Took a couple of shots. It really makes a contrast of what's wrong with areas of the helmet once the visor is gone.

-Top of the helmet, need to build up the central piece and smooth it.
-Ear pieces need to be sanded or get gone.
-Lower jaw pieces need to be detailed more. Too lumpy.
- Still working on angling the whole lower mouth piece. It's slowly getting to the angular look Jorge has to his face plate.
-Need to rondo gaps in the helmet. Some are in the rim around back and the one top left ( from pic perspective) on visor rim.
-Go to smooth out all visor lines now. Need to get another wooden sanding block and fix all these wobbly lines.

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

Yeah it does. The visor came out so I could actually get into those little gaps. More sanding to come for sure. Once it's crisp I'll be happy.

That’s looking really good !!
I found small rotary files for the Dremel . The link I put on the page was just the first picture I could find. They have them in all shapes and sizes at the local hardware store (lowes ,Ace hardware ,home depot )
I use them on a much larger scale for my detail in metal working. I went ahead and picked up a few I think I’ll do the trick for the fine detail on the armor. That’s my Jorge collaboration trick of the day. I’m just like you I don’t have a time limit but will have it done by next Halloween no exceptions lol

http://www.garrettwade.com/diamond-tipped-rotary-bits/p/26B05.01/

That’s looking really good !!
I found small rotary files for the Dremel . The link I put on the page was just the first picture I could find. They have them in all shapes and sizes at the local hardware store (lowes ,Ace hardware ,home depot )
I use them on a much larger scale for my detail in metal working. I went ahead and picked up a few I think I’ll do the trick for the fine detail on the armor. That’s my Jorge collaboration trick of the day. I’m just like you I don’t have a time limit but will have it done by next Halloween no exceptions lol

Ok those tips might be exactly what I need, thank you very much for finding those. See now the visor is out, it's almost horrifying to see the parts that are wrong jump out at you. But with more sanding, probably looking at around 10 hours more on this before it's crisp. It's like a second job this I swear.

You've got steadier hands than I sir if you're doing metal work. My buddy is a body shop mechanic so he's been showing me some stuff, but REAAAALLY basic things. If I can give you a heads up with the helmet, when you get to that stage. Layer the bondo thinly, it's a PAIN to sand down if it's too thick in places. That's my tip of the day. Also, I might buy you a beer for finding those drill bits lol.

what colour will you be doing it in

Barney purple. I kid. I'll being sticking to Jorge's color set which seems to be an olive like green or a touch darker. I'm going to play with the colors. Probably do several layers to get the desired effect. The vents on the visor and the back of the helmet that is recessed will be in black. The visor I'm going to have to employ some science to, as it is orange gold. But I think I have a way to pull it off due to another member achieving the desired color.

The bottom front still needs a little work (mostly where the visor was in the way), but the top is starting to look really nice :)

Also, there are these recessed detail areas on each cheek, above these little winglets. I'm not sure what the detail should look like (not because you did so bad, but because I simply don't have Reach :)), but it might be easier to just carve it down to a flat, recessed area and then glue in some cardboard with the desired detail shape. Or go custom and put in some tube, similar to what the Mark VI helmet has.

@Adam4472
I have a backpack file. Not the controversial ones. I'm more concerned about the chest honestly. I think I am going to clay sculpt the chest piece. As good as the files are for the pep pieces, they just look off to me. Can't really explain it, so I'm going to take a crack and making my own. Worse comes to worst, I'll just revert to a pep file.

The bottom front still needs a little work (mostly where the visor was in the way), but the top is starting to look really nice :)

Also, there are these recessed detail areas on each cheek, above these little winglets. I'm not sure what the detail should look like (not because you did so bad, but because I simply don't have Reach :)), but it might be easier to just carve it down to a flat, recessed area and then glue in some cardboard with the desired detail shape. Or go custom and put in some tube, similar to what the Mark VI helmet has.

Thanks Vent! Yeah the detail on the cheeks is a pain as I just don't have a steady hand dremmelling or the bit I am using is wrong. I am tempted to go the cardboard route honestly. There are some more detailed bits like that above each side of the visor, in the recessed areas. I was honestly just playing with the dremmel to see if I could make the rough shape. The bottom lip of this visor is the bane of my existence. It's so strange, I yell at it and it won't get smoother, maybe I should try sanding some more.

My hands are not that steady lol when I’m using those tools I typically brace myself and rest the tool on something so that I can make very fine tune movements. I don’t hold the tool freely for detail work. Those bits tend to grab or bind easy with metal work. in sense my idea would be to rest the helmet on the table while holding the Dremel in your hand also resting on a table or block of wood ,using your wrist and fingers to make minimal movements and minimal material removal. You could always take off a little at a time but you can’t put in the back easily lol Using rotary files the right way or I should say my way is the biggest pet peeve I have in my company because they cost anywhere from $15-$75 and they can be ruined in less than a second the wrong way.That won’t be an issue with the materials were standing and the ones I picked up are a fraction of the cost .
Hope that’s making sense just a little from what I've learned

Another helmet update. Decided to drill out those ear things. I hate them so much. It makes the helm so much cleaner looking now. Cleaned up the visor substantially, but ran out of time doing the upper lip. It's SO cold outside I just couldn't take it. Added bondo from the cheek 'jowls' to fill in that huge gap so they don't look like goofy ears. The back still needs some filling out and work, but getting closer to where I want to be with it. Just taking forever.

goodront.jpg

goodleft.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back