Jorge Project - Decreasing noob level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it to cold to work with bondo up there? :D

Looking good, just spray, sand, spray, and sand. Can't wait to see it turn out all painted.

Is it to cold to work with bondo up there? :D

Looking good, just spray, sand, spray, and sand. Can't wait to see it turn out all painted.

Yeah it's freezing here today. I really need a place to do this when it gets cold, but stuck outside with the space heater. After 7 hours outside, I was done.

Looks great so far. I'm working on Carter's suit atm and been under the same freezing conditions for 7 hours today. Helmet and pieces look amazing so far. keep it up.

Looks great so far. I'm working on Carter's suit atm and been under the same freezing conditions for 7 hours today. Helmet and pieces look amazing so far. keep it up.

Thanks man! Yeah, the weather is not your friend if your using bondo. I might have to end up buying another heater to surround the pieces I cure outside. I mean the bondo cures, but I literally have to make a little windbreaker in order to stop all the hot air from being blown away.

Just to let you know, FoolyCoolyman has a great backpack he did Send him a message, he may be up to lettin ya use it. I just finished unfolding and printing mine, I've had it for months. I'm doing a custom build.

Just to let you know, FoolyCoolyman has a great backpack he did Send him a message, he may be up to lettin ya use it. I just finished unfolding and printing mine, I've had it for months. I'm doing a custom build.

Yeah I liked his build, he was the first guy to crank out a whole suit! :) - I've already pestered him for his shoulder piece, I don't want to be a pain by asking him for the backpack too!

Yeah it's freezing here today. I really need a place to do this when it gets cold, but stuck outside with the space heater. After 7 hours outside, I was done.

Well, if you had just listened to what everybody says and not started with the helmet, you would have a comfy, warm suit of armour to wear now while working on the helmet ;-)

Yeah I liked his build, he was the first guy to crank out a whole suit! :) - I've already pestered him for his shoulder piece, I don't want to be a pain by asking him for the backpack too!

Do you want me to ask him?

Well, if you had just listened to what everybody says and not started with the helmet, you would have a comfy, warm suit of armour to wear now while working on the helmet ;-)

Do you want me to ask him?

Sure Vent, that'd be cool. I already PM'd him about the shoulder, but if he is willing to let me use the backpack I would be extremely pleased. I appreciate it. :)

Sure Vent, that'd be cool. I already PM'd him about the shoulder, but if he is willing to let me use the backpack I would be extremely pleased. I appreciate it. :)

Saw you just cut out the ear pieces and looks a lot better without them. How many hours do you have in the helmet so far? I used follycoolmans for my build; he should get back to you quickly. I had to re-unfold it so it was quite the learning experience. It looks better and better every time I check in on you, helmet is looking really good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats really looking good. It is a slow process but it will be worth it. If you have some sort of shed it would be good to work in there, to get out of the wind, then the heater would work better.

So now that you've got the Grenadier shoulder pepped, how are you gonna mount it so that it's Jorge-Like?

Well to create perfect accuracy and make it 'Jorge like' I would attach the shoulder piece using live ammunition for nails. I'm kidding. However, it is something I am still deciding how to attack. Right now there are a few options. Magnets, this would allow for readjusting the accessory if it was bumping into the chest piece of the armor. A small wooden block shaped into a V and fixed to the bicep armor. This would then give the illusion that it was raised off the actual arm piece. But I'm really considering that in the padding stage as it's going to need many adjustments I'll bet.

Thats really looking good. It is a slow process but it will be worth it. If you have some sort of shed it would be good to work in there, to get out of the wind, then the heater would work better.

Thanks man! You are correct, VERY slow process, but as I will repeat below. Each series of photos I take, I can't believe the changes that I see. There's still a few minor areas (Did more work today) that are persistent, but the helmet is damn near ready for painting. I'm not posting another pic until I'm there. lol.

Saw you just cut out the ear pieces and looks a lot better without them. How many hours do you have in the helmet so far? I used follycoolmans for my build; he should get back to you quickly. I had to re-unfold it so it was quite the learning experience. It looks better and better every time I check in on you, helmet is looking really good!

Thanks man, appreciate the kind words! Yours is looking equally awesome!

Yeah, now this is purely my opinion. But as this is my first build and it is your first build, I would advise against putting the ear things in. They were a pain in the butt to pep, took forever to seat in the ear and then ultimately, the way the pep is folded, when you rondo the helm, they don't get any of the resin. So they are still paper. Made dremmeling them out a 30 second affair lol.

You can if you want, but I think they serve no purpose and the helmet looks cooler with them gone. I think Foolycooly didn't put them in. Ben Streepers helmet he made also had them missing. Personally, I'm going to be finding some speaker mesh and putting them in there so I have ventilation. The helmet is going to be as game accurate as I can possibly make it, but a few modifications are fine. Jorge said it himself. ;)

Right now..with pepping, resining, bondo, rondo, sanding, crying, drinking heavily, spray painting and loss of sanity. I'm gonna say approximately 100 hours is where I am at currently. Now I put this down to my noob level, but I've never tackled a project like this before. So as I am learning, I am realizing set backs are a big part of this. You make a part up...and you think 'that looks good' - Then you take a photo. The camera doesn't lie. It pulls all the imperfections in your work and makes them VERY apparent. I like this. I really don't have a deadline either, so doing this in stages is actually more rewarding. I'm going to repost the pics showing the progression when the helmet is finished. Side by side pictures have actually blown my mind when I've gone through them. And it's STILL not done.

If the helmet looked like garbage, I would hope someone would constructively suggest redoing it. I know negative comments are a no no on the 405th, and that's a great policy. But I also believe in constructive criticism shows people where to improve. So far on the this thread I think people have been honest and not just head patting.

If I have any advice is to echo what others have said, when you get to the bondo stage, don't slather it on. Less is more. Now I personally added a lot because the pep was warped in places. So I essentially had to rebuild parts of the helmet. You wouldn't really know that unless you looked hard at the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its looking good. Thanks for all the pics you give it helps to see how you are progressing with the bondo work and in turn it helps me see how I need to do mine. I'm gonna be resining and starting bondo soon on my ODST helm and looking at others peoples WIPs gives me a great feel for how to do and not do things. So thanks for your insights and I love how it's comin along. Keep it up.

Haha, ok, I'll message you both in a minute ;-)

Thanks Vent. Just got your message. Appreciate it :)

Its looking good. Thanks for all the pics you give it helps to see how you are progressing with the bondo work and in turn it helps me see how I need to do mine. I'm gonna be resining and starting bondo soon on my ODST helm and looking at others peoples WIPs gives me a great feel for how to do and not do things. So thanks for your insights and I love how it's comin along. Keep it up.

It's all a learning experience. There's multiple sets of eyes that will look at your work on here, so let them comment as they see appropriate. The best advice I can give you from experience I've gained thus far is be prepared to make mistakes. I can't tell you how many times I've pepped something and it looks too small or too big. I felt like saying screw it and not wanting to continue. But now I just consider them prototypes.

Just a word to the wise, if your helmet gets messed up in the process, don't get frustrated. So far I have:

-Had the helmet blow off the table whilst I was resining out side. Dented the top. Had to bondo to fill it out as it had already set.
-Sanded through my helmet multiple times. This will happen so I'm told.
-Put too much bondo on my helmet, so I spent WAY longer sanding the damn thing.
-Slipped with the dremmel and damaged the helmet.
-Rondoed the inside of the thing multiple times after I sanded through it.

That is a snap shot of the problems I've encountered personally thus far. Some days I have to stop because it just gets overwhelming. Probably because I'm still new to this. :p

Lol Vent, it's alright, it isn't my real name. ;) But holy hell...just realized something. I've left part of the visor in. Need to trim those little flanges off each side. I wasn't paying full attention when I cut it. Now I finally see why it didn't look quite right. Will fix this!

Thanks man, appreciate the kind words! Yours is looking equally awesome!

Yeah, now this is purely my opinion. But as this is my first build and it is your first build, I would advise against putting the ear things in. They were a pain in the butt to pep, took forever to seat in the ear and then ultimately, the way the pep is folded, when you rondo the helm, they don't get any of the resin. So they are still paper. Made dremmeling them out a 30 second affair lol.

You can if you want, but I think they serve no purpose and the helmet looks cooler with them gone. I think Foolycooly didn't put them in. Ben Streepers helmet he made also had them missing. Personally, I'm going to be finding some speaker mesh and putting them in there so I have ventilation. The helmet is going to be as game accurate as I can possibly make it, but a few modifications are fine. Jorge said it himself. ;)

Right now..with pepping, resining, bondo, rondo, sanding, crying, drinking heavily, spray painting and loss of sanity. I'm gonna say approximately 100 hours is where I am at currently. Now I put this down to my noob level, but I've never tackled a project like this before. So as I am learning, I am realizing set backs are a big part of this. You make a part up...and you think 'that looks good' - Then you take a photo. The camera doesn't lie. It pulls all the imperfections in your work and makes them VERY apparent. I like this. I really don't have a deadline either, so doing this in stages is actually more rewarding. I'm going to repost the pics showing the progression when the helmet is finished. Side by side pictures have actually blown my mind when I've gone through them. And it's STILL not done.

If the helmet looked like garbage, I would hope someone would constructively suggest redoing it. I know negative comments are a no no on the 405th, and that's a great policy. But I also believe in constructive criticism shows people where to improve. So far on the this thread I think people have been honest and not just head patting.

If I have any advice is to echo what others have said, when you get to the bondo stage, don't slather it on. Less is more. Now I personally added a lot because the pep was warped in places. So I essentially had to rebuild parts of the helmet. You wouldn't really know that unless you looked hard at the pics.

Earpieces look like a major pain and I haven’t seen anybody leave them in yet , so here shortly I’ll probably join the ranks of everyone who tried and cut them out :D Just like you I don’t have a problem with constructive criticism just as long as it’s from a source that has considerable experience. Taking a close look at all your pictures you could see the defects you’re talking about but other than offering the advice to sand the areas. I am like you I’ve never done Bondo/Rondo so not in the position to offer constructive criticism because I have no hands-on knowledge. I think your helmet has made remarkable progress and like you said it’s now considered a prototype. I am at about 100 hours worth of work myself and I haven’t even touched resin ,Fiberglas or Rondo/bondo on my build yet. I think you’re making pretty good time and great progress for picking up a project like this. I know from watching and reading a bunch of other people go first. It will probably save me a few hours a few mistakes and possibly avoid losing sanity and crying:eek Those last two have almost hit me on the pep process lol

Eh sorry for the silence guys. Life has a habit of slowing you down. Anyway, I know I said I wouldn't, but I think I'm almost ready for paint. Few more details/bondo on the back and then I'm there. Also cut the visor correctly and dremmeled in some helmet detail on the top.
IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

Looking good, can't wait to see more! We can be Jorge together, HA! Are you going to do the height extenders as well? I am going to add 5" on my boots, for a grand total of 6.5'. Close to his actual height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back