Julia's Mark VI build

Status
Not open for further replies.
The helmet looks really good, I thought the amount of bondo was a little too excessive but you fixed it up!!

One thing that I've noticed that really makes the battle damage pop is if you have a dent, scratch, or any kind of chips in the paint, get a tiny paintbrush and dry brush a little around the edges/center; fantastic technique!! Stiilus does an excellent job weathering pieces- though its not quite dry brushing. It is to a point... whatever- it looks great in my opinion!!
Check em out!!

Thank you :D! Most of the areas that are silver are carved up unfortunately it's just really hard to see them in the photos due to the fact my phones camera sucks. And I'm going over the detailing again before I put my finishing matte coat on just because there are some areas where I would like to touch up really quick. Stiilus's technique is pretty much what I have been doing except I'm using black acrylic paint instead of oil based paints it's just my preference but his detailing is awesome! Thanks for the info!

Finally finished painting my helmet, I've got my shoulders all bondoed up, got my hands peped and ready for some smooth cast and I've got one fore arm peped.

so here's the finished paint job I absolutely LOVE how it looks now. I just added onto the details I already had and it just looks awesome. Sadly it looks blue but it is purple.
helmet_by_ph3on1x-d51rvtl.jpg

And foam filled the brim. lol it looks so corny XD.
inside_my_helmet_by_ph3on1x-d51rw43.jpg

Here are my hands.
hands__by_ph3on1x-d51rtgy.jpg

My slightly sanded shoulders. I just did a quick sand to get all the large ridges out. there are some details carved in they're just really hard to see unfortunately.
shoulders_slightly_sanded_by_ph3on1x-d51russ.jpg

shoulders_slightly_sanded_by_ph3on1x-d51rulq.jpg

shoulders_slightly_sanded_by_ph3on1x-d51ruqt.jpg

hey the shoulders are lookin good! And I like the paint job on the helmet more now since you added the battle damage

Also that is a REALLY smart idea to fill in the brim of the helmet with that foam stuff! Both of my helmets are really weak in that area because the rondo didn't get into that area very well, What is the foam stuff that you used called ? Ill have to do that to my own soon.

Yay, another lady-spartan!
I love the fact that there are more and more girls showing interest and banging out great looking work!
You're making some great progress! Colours... Nice, weathering... Nice! Everything is coming together nicely.

As far as filling up the brim goes, the brim is a great place to install linear battery packs!
That is... If the brim isn't full of expansion foam! ;)

Once again, great job!
Dave/Cereal.

To Annanymous, I used a spray foam called Great Stuff Gaps and Cracks foam and it worked really well! just don't over spray because as it's drying it will expand by about half of what you originally spray and it takes a few hours for it to completely solidify.

To Cereal Killl3r, thank you! And yeah I though about putting a battery pack there but I found a small one that would fit nicely in the back portion but if need be I could always carve some of the foam out.

To Annanymous, I used a spray foam called Great Stuff Gaps and Cracks foam and it worked really well! just don't over spray because as it's drying it will expand by about half of what you originally spray and it takes a few hours for it to completely solidify.

a word of caution when using great stuff from my experience. If you make a thick "glob"(can't think of a better word) the center doesn't cure after the first few hours like the outside. The problem is that it continues to expand by about another 3-5% over the next week which ended up distorting the shape of the parts I tried it in. Hopefully that won't happen to you but just a warning from my mistakes.

Yeah unfortunately that does suck :p I learned that lesson fixing a door lol. So to prevent that from happening I did small bits at a time and gave them a few hours to set then I poked at them with a toothpick to see if it was still gooey inside like you would if you were baking and if it came out completely dry I would add the next small bit.

So I've pretty much got my helmet DONE! Just a few minor tweaks like gluing the padding in and shes 100% done! WOOT WOOT!!!

So here's the front! And I did decide on doing the double visor and i LOVE how it looks!
6c94e8414164f47f1c7b100eaa418822-d52vbd1.jpg

The left side.
finished_helmet_by_ph3on1x-d52vbm4.jpg

The right side.
finished_helmet_by_ph3on1x-d52vbq4.jpg

Up close of the visor.
the_visor_by_ph3on1x-d52vbxy.jpg

The lights! So all I did here was take one of those rape whistle light up glow sticks/flash lights and I took the cone of the flash light out drilled some holes for them and just hot glued those suckers in! However I did not use the lights from it I hard wired my own system for it so I could just turn it on and off with one switch.
head_lights_by_ph3on1x-d52vceb.jpg

So yeah my helmet is done, shoulders just need a final sand before being painted, my chest plate is cut and glued along with my fore arms and hands and they are just waiting to be fiber glassed and smoothcast. Though I am going to try using spray glue to apply the fiber glass and see how that works so I'm not wasting to much smoothcast. Now I just need to print off my lower body and get started on that lol.

Great work on the visor (I'm too lazy for double visors lol). These pics make the detail in your paint easier to see. Very well done.

Looking good, that blue colour u have used is pretty sweet! Can't seem to find that one where i shop :p Keep it up!

helmet looks super sick. i was a bit skeptical about the silver scratches, but when you added the black around it...man, oh man. its rad.

Thank you all for the your awesome comments <3! It really makes me want to work even harder and get more of it done faster!

Well my helmets 100% DONE! WOOT!!! So after I got the visor in place all I did was put my light rig in and it works like a dream! After that I padded the hell out of the interior to prevent it from sliding around and hurting my head, then after that I just cocked around he visor to fill in whatever gaps there were and as soon as that set I painted it black and well wham bam thank ya ma'ma a finished helmet!
484195_3805054681321_1853750983_n.jpg

Anyways I've managed to get my shoulders almost done! I finished sanding them and they look great!.... Unfortunately the pep file I used didn't have much detail to it so i had to build up places with LOTS of bondo.

Anyways here is hoe they look so far!

I had to carve out the little dips there and build up the top part.
539597_3879073171737_1671304735_n.jpg

Didn't have to build anything up just had to drill in some details.
486497_3879075771802_229380905_n.jpg

Ok so back had ZERO detail to it! So I just built up the hell out of it with A LOT of bondo.
487878_3879079571897_947998533_n.jpg

And here they both are primed and ready for paint!
529356_3879080851929_1611787712_n.jpg

Besides from that I have my hands soothcasted and awaiting to be sanded, I'm just about to put my layer of fiberglass sheeting in my fore arms, and I need to tweak my chest plate and get it ready for some smoothcast love!

Nice job! I've built a few of those bicep pieces and to take them from what they were to the amount of detail you've put into them must have been a headache. The alternative is to build the HD versions (which I'm working on now and let me tell you, they're a pain). Looks like you've got a great handle on this, and I actually like your choice of colors so far. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

To Cereal Killl3r
Here's hoping! I've only got a few months before winter so I want to get as much of the soothcast and bondo done as I can.

To carpathiavh99
It wasn't bad actually I just taped up an outline of where I wanted to build up and just kept doing it until I had the shapes I wanted then sanded it. Surprisingly it was pretty easy.

Well alright! Shoulders are painted and ready to go! Now Ive just got to get my light rigs in do some padding and wait for my body suit to come in before I do the strapping.
318885_3886964969027_16561232_n.jpg

523823_3886965609043_755199180_n.jpg

529451_3886966529066_282208085_n.jpg

Man oh man I LOVE painting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back