Props Juliet76's Blueprints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you'll get use out of them Akademee!

Speaking of knives, I've got another one on the way-

KhukuriWIP.gif

:D

Just like Storm said, and I've now added it to the first page. Sheath will be added when it's done, sometime in the next week or so. ;)

Reach AR Dimensions

Hey there Juliet. I tried to PM you, but it wasn't working. Got a question for you. Where did you get your AR dimensions? I have used them to create a 3d model. No sooner was I done then did I find this:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/halo-reach-ar-dimensions-92750/#post1317351

As you can see it shows different dimensions. Smaller actually. Your AR is 34.6" long and these other blueprints have it at 31.5"

I wanted to ping you about this before the 3D model goes off to the CNC machine.

PS Were you born in '76 also? :)

Yep, '76 was the year.;)

I started the AR blueprints with the barrel, and an 18mm OD was reasonable for the 9.5mm round. It wasn't until I finished that I checked the Halo Encyclopedia for size on the MA5C which came in at 879mm. I also checked into the length of Adam's AR which comes in at 800mm without the barrel. So between those two sources I was happy with the length of 880mm that I came to.

After I'd finished the blueprints I too came across the prop build from Bungie.net but from the other references I checked it isn't enough to compell me to change my dimensions at this point. Although others may feel differently.

The most prominent thing for me as I did up the MA37 and the M45 blueprints is that the dimensions are applicable to the calibers that they are.

That doesn't really give you a clear answer but I hope it's of some help.:)

The topic of sizing has made me concered about the dimensions that I've stated on my MA37 and M45 blueprints. While I did research on appropriate sizing at the time of drawing them- Required barrel OD for the 8 gauge and 7.62 calibers, required ejection ports sizes for those shells and grip sizes of current assault rifles- AK, M4, Styer -I feel inclinded to do more research to provide the best and most accurate blueprints I can. Here we go-

I started the AR blueprints with the barrel, and an 18mm OD was reasonable for the 9.5mm round...

Umm, WRONG! The MA series uses 7.62 x 51mm FMJ rounds, which is what I drew the blueprint up to suit.

I quickly replied to that post and grabbed that caliber from my copy of Halo Encyclopedia, which listed the MA5 series as using 9.5mm x 40 FMJ rounds. Yet later in the book (mere pages in fact) it shows a 7.62 x 51mm FMJ round and states them been used in the MA5B. And every other reference source states that the MA5 series uses 7.62mm rounds. The Halo CE instruction manual on the MA5B, Halopedia on the- MA5B, MA5C and MA37, Bungie.net on the MA37. But none the less further research indicates that 18mm is a perfectly reasonable OD for a 7.62 caliber weapon.

But, I'm still not 100% covinced my stated length of 880mm is the best size to build props to. So, more research.

The MA37 is an earlier version of the MA5B (Halo CE) and MA5C (Halo 3). While they are different guns they are of the same series and therefore would be using some of the same parts. I've been told that Adam's AR is 800mm without the barrel, so I took a copy of Wizard of flight's MA5C blueprint put it into autoCAD and scaled that area of the rifle to 800mm. I was happy to discover that the barrel OD came in at 17.7mm almost spot on to my blueprint's 18mm. I then overlapped Wizards blueprint with mine to see what other similarites there were.

And the answer was- hardly any. While at a glance to us the MA37 and MA5C look very similar, upon closer inspection their layouts and angles are noticably different, which leads me to believe the only real common parts they share are internally. But surely they'd have some common parts? The Barrel is all I can come up with.

The top image is Wizard's blueprint at 800mm without barrel.
Middle is mine scaled with 18mm OD on the barrel as in my current blueprint.
Bottom is scaled to the bungie.net wire frame prop length of 800mm overall.
MA37ICWSscales.gif

The bottom ones barrel OD comes in at 16.4mm, noticably different to 18 and 17.7mm, meaning that if the MA37's were in fact this size they would share no external parts at all (that I can see) with there later model brothers. Not that this is not possible, 16.4mm is still totally acceptable for a 7.62 caliber weapon and many weapons currently in service have evolved into nearly completely different beasts to what they started as.

One thing I was concerned about though is the size of the ejection port and if it could cope with the 51mm shell at this overall size.
MA37ICWS800mm.gif

62mm seems like acceptable clearence to me.

At this point in time I was still clinging to my original length of 880mm as I wanted there to be some external connection to the later models of the MA5 series. So I turned to reference pictures.
reach_1430251_Full.jpg

Kat_stand_rifle-01.jpg

Which let me down. Using some 1:1 scale toy guns I have here- An M4 at 800mm and an EBR variant with collapsed stock at 890mm -I did some size comparisons by eye with Reach in game reference pictures. Even on Kat, who would be closer than most Spartans to the average sized male, the MA37 looks to be more like the 800mm long than my blueprint's 880mm.

I'd like to do a cutout at 800mm to totally confirm it, but at this point I would be inclinded to say that the MA37 and it's younger brothers- the MA5B and MA5C -share no external parts and if you were to use my blueprint as a guide for a build you'd be better off going with an overall length of 800mm.

I'll report more when I've done a cutout.

Juliet, I'm glad you posted this, because I was about to print out your MA37 blueprints at 880mm. (766mm without the Barrel, same length as my Battle Rifle without it's barrel. And the BR is a tad too big.)

If I were to scale it to 800mm overall, the length without the barrel would come close to 690mm. But I'm afraid that it will turn out a tad too small at that scale. Perhaps I'll find something in between. ;)

I've started transfering the side profile onto ply V1p3r, should have a cutout done and reference pictures up by the end of the weekend. I don't believe it will be too small.;)

bulldogresler, glad you like the kukri, I'll have the sheath blueprint up asap.:)

I've started transfering the side profile onto ply V1p3r, should have a cutout done and reference pictures up by the end of the weekend. I don't believe it will be too small.;)

bulldogresler, glad you like the kukri, I'll have the sheath blueprint up asap.:)

Alright, good to hear. ;)

juliet76, your blueprint for the halo reach combat knife look great and i am planning on creating a replica out of wood and then painting it for a metal finish. I am currently scavenging for reference material and am wondering where you found yours. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thx for the plans.

My reference shots came from bungie.net screen and character shots, stills of the reveal and Birth of a Spartan trailer, and from pictures I took during the beta. I then took some of the better images and cropped them, blew them up, improved thier lighting etc. in a free program called picasa. I'm not sure how many more combat knife specific pictures you'll find out there at the moment, and that's all I've got. I hope it's enough to help you.;)

My reference shots came from bungie.net screen and character shots, stills of the reveal and Birth of a Spartan trailer, and from pictures I took during the beta. I then took some of the better images and cropped them, blew them up, improved thier lighting etc. in a free program called picasa. I'm not sure how many more combat knife specific pictures you'll find out there at the moment, and that's all I've got. I hope it's enough to help you.;)

What i have found so far should be sufficient, just trying to make sure i get everything i can before i attempt this. Thx for the help. And i am a total Autocad n00b but i hope to be an engineer someday, but while i was looking through this thread i saw images in autocad sort of combined to form an accurate side view of the assault rifle, a kind of cobbled together image. Does the program let you do this to create a view in the blueprint, that would be a truely amazing feature!

...i am a total Autocad n00b but i hope to be an engineer someday, but while i was looking through this thread i saw images in autocad sort of combined to form an accurate side view of the assault rifle, a kind of cobbled together image. Does the program let you do this to create a view in the blueprint, that would be a truely amazing feature!

Head into my profile Neimad and shoot me off an email, I'd be happy to go through what I know in more detail with you.;)

Okay reference pictures of the MA37 cutout I've done. I rescaled my blueprint to 800mm long and did a cutout on ply board of it. I was happy with the result and I'll be re-releasing it with that dimension.

Here's a 1:1 scale toy M4 I have (airsoft isn't allowed in Australia), and yes I'm aware that there's no rear sight or scope on it,I was in a rush and it's just for reference. With it's stock extended to this length it's spot on 800mm.
DSCF1787.jpg

The MA37 cutout.
DSCF1790.jpg

Side by side and with a 7.62 x 51 shell on the ejection port.
DSCF1810.jpg

Random reference shots in various stances.
DSCF1796.jpg

DSCF1802.jpg

DSCF1807.jpg

Like I said I think this is a good size for builds and I'll be modding the blueprint to this size. I noticed also on Bungie's wireframe prop build that my width is a little off of theirs so I'm going to take this oppurtunity to adjust that too. Sorry for the inconvenience but it's all about us making better props.:D

Unfortunately this will also delay me getting the blueprint up for Emile's kukri (which is my most complex sheath blueprint so far). It's alraedy been delayed due to me been a bit sick, but please know I am still working on it and I'll have it up just as soon as I'm done.

Thanks for the reference pics!

Here's some additional info:

We CNC'd one half of the AR at your original dimensions of 880mm (34.6"). The size is perfect. In fact we agreed that 31.5" is too small. If you look at the pic from the Bungie article, it does look a bit small. Keep in mind that ideally, the person would be wearing a suit of armor. In my experience erring on the bigger side is a safer bet. Too many gun props end up too small after all the armor and costuming is put on. On the other hand, the cut out that you're holding does look well proportioned. Remember though, that cut-outs can be deceiving to the eye since they're 2D parts that slope away or into the gun will appear a bit small. It's hard to explain, but I think you probably get the idea.

As for your width. Yes it's too narrow! That 7.52 round would never pass thru the mid section of the gun with those recesses. I've scaled my model up to accommodate a 7.62 round all the way down the barrel, to the magazine. The dimensions that we're going to go forward with at this point are: 34.629" x 2.564" x 10.902"

Juliet76, this thread is AWESOME. This is exactly what I needed for the reach AR I'm building. I've had such a hard time finding good reference pictures but your bluepints and reference pictures are perfect!!!!

For what its worth I pepped a halo 3 AR about a year ago (never actually got around to resining it but its fully pepped) and its almost exactly 800mm (maybe 805mm or something like that) and I think its a perfect length.

Anyways, to all the guys contributing to this, thanks so much. The work you guys do on threads like this is ridiculous and it leads to some amazingly accurate and wonderful models. Keep it up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back