Kat Helmet -among other things- WIP (Annanymous)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
So I kind of want to make this look like the live action Kat suit, so instead of the robo arm I tried recreating the right bicep to match the left bicep. It turned out okay; its not perfect but they look pretty similar- Although there are some minor details I have to add still.

Front:
Photoon2012-04-27at21063.jpg

Side:
Photoon2012-04-27at21064.jpg

Next to the original left bicep:
Photoon2012-04-27at2107.jpg

(the new one is on the right)
_________

I am about 1 and a 1/2 hours from montreal! I would love to go to your guy's comic con but unfortunately by September I am goingto be in my first year of college way out in Ohio! :( Thats why I really want to find a convention for this summer before I head off to school :D

Thankyou for giving the idea that maybe I can look for some conventions in canada though

Ditching the prosthetic arm may have been a wise choice, being that unless you really "overbuilt" the entire suite, the robotic arm would always look a little odd and thick (IMHO) I think the left and right plates look great, nice match! Any detail inconsistencies that you may see will fade to zero when the pieces are spaced apart in their final positions, that is unless you're freakishly flexible and can touch your shoulders together in front of your chest! Other than that... I wouldn't give it a second thought.

On another note... there is the Fan Expo in Toronto, Ontario this August! ;)

Here's the Thread that Ruze789 started:
Toronto Fan Expo Thread

Here's the link to the event itself:
http://www.fanexpocanada.com/

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am goingto be rushing to finish my helmet over the weekend really badly! Its been raining and unless I work in the garage I am kind of screwed. Nonetheless today I am ordering my visor and am hoping that it can be shipped before tuesday, here is a link to the one I am getting.
_____
Ditching the prosthetic arm may have been a wise choice, being that unless you really "overbuilt" the entire suite, the robotic arm would always look a little odd and thick (IMHO) I think the left and right plates look great, nice match! Any detail inconsistencies that you may see will fade to zero when the pieces are spaced apart in their final positions, that is unless you're freakishly flexible and can touch your shoulders together in front of your chest! Other than that... I wouldn't give it a second thought.

On another note... there is the Fan Expo in Toronto, Ontario this August! ;)

Here's the Thread that Ruze789 started:
Toronto Fan Expo Thread

Here's the link to the event itself:
http://www.fanexpocanada.com/

Cheers,
Dave.

I share your feelings about the prosthetic arm, my biggest concern with it was that with my arm (being an arm) was not really able to get the full "robot" arm effect, even when I made mods and remade some of the arm pieces to fit better.

Also thankyou for the link to this fan expo! Unfortunately even though I am close to Canada, Toronto is still 8 hours away! Too far for me to drive ;_; but thankyou for the consideration!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it looked fine with the prosthetic arm but you'd pull it off better definitely with the bicep and forearms to match both sides.
I may be wrong but are the shoulder caps lined up at the right height on the biceps? Or are my eyes deceiving me.. Lol
Also, does VT have any cons over there?

I think it looked fine with the prosthetic arm but you'd pull it off better definitely with the bicep and forearms to match both sides.
I may be wrong but are the shoulder caps lined up at the right height on the biceps? Or are my eyes deceiving me.. Lol
Also, does VT have any cons over there?

I think having two biceps and forearms help "beef it up" a little bit more, which always looks better in my opinion. And yeah the shoulders are lined up pretty similar to the live action, maybe a little bit higher though, but I kind of like the added height. Also the live action armor has a black, extra undersuit part added to the tops of the shoulders which make the added shoulder caps look positioned more in the middle than up.
(you can see it in this pic:)
http://youbentmywookie.com/wookie/gallery/0311_wtf/halo-girl-kat-jordan.jpg
---
Sadly, vermont only has one very small con a year and it occurs back in the fall. Bummer!

I was just referring to the height in comparison to the one by HaloGoddess but yea I know what you mean. Haha Do you plan on getting to an cons in particular?

I was just referring to the height in comparison to the one by HaloGoddess but yea I know what you mean. Haha Do you plan on getting to an cons in particular?

ooh yeah they might be off a little bit, but hopefully they aren't too noticeable- I'll get some pics up today showing them on me so you can see. I don't plan on going to any particular con but I think I will just keep an eye out for some smaller ones over the summer.

Hey guys so I've been working all day to get this helmet done because I have to have some sort of finished product by tuesday.
So today it went from looking like this:

Screenshot2012-05-12at65228PM.png

Screenshot2012-05-12at65222PM.png

to this:

Screenshot2012-05-12at65207PM.png

Screenshot2012-05-12at65212PM.png

It is by no means done, and I really wish that I had more time to sand it, however I have a lot of school work that I have to do tomorrow and monday so I had to start and finish all of the details today.

I think that when I have more time after school gets out I will go back and revisit this helmet, strip it down to get rid of the paint job and go and fix the cruddy sanding job that I did on it to smooth it out a lot more.
Anyway, I'm hoping that my visor will arrive on monday so that I can go about trying to install it! (Also, I will be adding the helmet attachment later on, it's still in paper-pep form.)
-Anna

PS. I know that the edge around where the visor will go is really crappy looking, I'm goingto go in and dremel it to smooth it out some more but I was worn out from all of the sanding I'd already done today. :)

I only say that because this mouse sander I have is like heaven. ^_^ My whole upper body of my suit was hand sanded.. and that's probably why it's been such a long project. I'm just ready to get it done.

Your helmet looks good thought, just gotta get that visor in and some padding! Do you know how you are going to mount the visor already?

I only say that because this mouse sander I have is like heaven. ^_^ My whole upper body of my suit was hand sanded.. and that's probably why it's been such a long project. I'm just ready to get it done.

Your helmet looks good thought, just gotta get that visor in and some padding! Do you know how you are going to mount the visor already?

Yeah when I was using the palm sander it was getting done really fast and then when I had to switch back to hand sanding it was just taking forever.
I just read a tutorial on how to put in a visor, so I'll have to pick up some screws and that puddy stuff- however I am still kind of confused on how you go about filling up the gaps and don't really think I will be able to buy that special stuff to do it with in the next few days ;_;

Mine is hot glued in. So Hot glue kinda fills the gaps a bit. I just cut it level to the edge to make it flush and did a black wash over the glue. It may work for you if you have to.

Mine is hot glued in. So Hot glue kinda fills the gaps a bit. I just cut it level to the edge to make it flush and did a black wash over the glue. It may work for you if you have to.
I like the idea of using hot glue much better. So does that mean you didn't use any screws whatsoever? Or the screws for making sure it stays in and the hot glue for sealing the gaps?

I didn't use any screws at all. I'm not sure exactly how much hot glue you will need but just do it like tack welding and do glue spots about an inch apart and wait til the hot glue cools before you let go of holding it in place. Then when you finally get it tacked in place, you can go back and glue all the way around.

Here's a photo that may help:
th_Photo0861.jpg

I didn't use any screws at all. I'm not sure exactly how much hot glue you will need but just do it like tack welding and do glue spots about an inch apart and wait til the hot glue cools before you let go of holding it in place. Then when you finally get it tacked in place, you can go back and glue all the way around.

Here's a photo that may help:
th_Photo0861.jpg

oo thankyou for the reference pic, that helps a lot! I might just have to try it your way, screws and puddy stuff confuse me.

Screws and puddy wouldn't be too bad either. I came across this repair putty recently and find it to be AMAZING! I put some rare earth magnets in my chest piece using it. It cured in 45 minutes, is rock hard, and can be sanded.
If you were closer, I would come help you with putting the visor in but you aren't

When I filled the gap between my visor and helmet, I bought some garage door insulation foam, cut it to size and glued in between the visor and helmet. It gives it the appearance of a rubber seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back