kitnip's Halo 4 Master Chief foam build with custom paint scheme and undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
awesome work, very useful and inspiring. thanks for sharing all the tips!

Kitnip, what ref photos did you use for this? (I mostly finished the thighs and my details seem to differ) mine seem to be more game based and thus have slightly different details. I'd love to see yours, the build seems so much cleaner and easier! Any chance of a looksee? much obliged.

This is extremely impressive. Definitely one of the best Halo IV suits i've seen so far. Keep up the good work! Btw, the best way to make an undersuit would be to sew a dual layer undersuit, with batting or foamy fabric between the layers. cut out the shapes you want, and sew them onto the fabric. This makes it tons better than the people who just wear under armor.

Kit, what is the .pdo file you are using for your torso? mine looks quite abit different to that. I'm using the foam template one from the H4 Database zip. Did you cut out each individual piece as per template and glue them together or did you just work out your own template, by sketch, and by comparison to your ref photo?

Cheers mate, seems to me that going down this route will be a hell of a lot cheaper! I hopr 2.5 litres of plastidip will be enough to seal the whole suit.
I'm not sure about how cheap it is. I bought 6 cans of the spray and it cost me around $85. I can tell you one can was able to do my knees, boots and biceps, each getting 3 coats. Just make sure you are making your coats very light. And do a test spray off your foam. I've had issues with Plasti-Dip before where it sprayed thousands on tiny microbubbles onto my foam and basically ruined my piece.

wow! this build is really amazing! :D I sure hope when i start my build, that it would come out as great as this. I plan on using the foam method as well. This is very inspirational as well. Now i will feel better about making the master chief's suit seeing that there are girls out there rockin' it. :D Keep up the good work! i look forward to seeing your build finished. d-(^^)z
YAY! Thanks!! Just let me know if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

hey shadow kitteh im new ive been wanting to know how to use pepakura but dont know a lot of details i want to make a halo four marine helmet and would like some guidance until i get the hang of things can u help?
I'm guessing you were asking me this question. I don't know a ton about pepakura. I only used it to help me scale. But there are a lot of tutorials on this site about how to use and build your pieces with pepakura. Try searching for them.

That's not foam! You've secretly swapped out your pieces with forged metal when nobody was looking! Your mistake, because now they will be MUCH heavier when you put them on. (Yeah, they look that good - very well done there on the painting!)
LOL! Thanks!!

awesome work, very useful and inspiring. thanks for sharing all the tips!

Kitnip, what ref photos did you use for this? (I mostly finished the thighs and my details seem to differ) mine seem to be more game based and thus have slightly different details. I'd love to see yours, the build seems so much cleaner and easier! Any chance of a looksee? much obliged.
Kit, what is the .pdo file you are using for your torso? mine looks quite abit different to that. I'm using the foam template one from the H4 Database zip. Did you cut out each individual piece as per template and glue them together or did you just work out your own template, by sketch, and by comparison to your ref photo?
Tau-ceti: The reference photo I used is on the very first page of my build. I didn't use pepakura to build my pieces. The only time I used pepakura was with my chest and all I did was print off a couple pieces to help me get an idea for scaling. Everything was done free-hand. This is also why it's not exactly like the game. I wasn't going for the exact Master Chief look, I just wanted to get his main look, but I often add and take away details where I see fit.

The pepakura file I used to help me scale my chest piece was from rainbow dash here. They are meant for foam. Let me know if you have any other questions :) Good luck on your build!

This is extremely impressive. Definitely one of the best Halo IV suits i've seen so far. Keep up the good work! Btw, the best way to make an undersuit would be to sew a dual layer undersuit, with batting or foamy fabric between the layers. cut out the shapes you want, and sew them onto the fabric. This makes it tons better than the people who just wear under armor.
Thanks! I won't be adding any kind of foam padding or details to my undersuit. My main mission is to make it breathable. I have some black stretchy fabric and I'll be sewing on some black vinyl in certain spots. I severely overheated when I wore my Samus costume because the fabric was stretch lycra and totally not breathable. Won't be making that mistake again!

Thanks a heap for that link. I've been agonising over the smaller details, but seeing someone do somethimg so well that had variations on it, and streamlining the process is very helpful and encouraging! i may just get it done in time for the target date of my local Con after all!

Thanks a heap for that link. I've been agonising over the smaller details, but seeing someone do somethimg so well that had variations on it, and streamlining the process is very helpful and encouraging! i may just get it done in time for the target date of my local Con after all!
No problem! Don't agonize lol. Remember, you are making a suit because you want to make a suit! It's your own custom suit so the way I see it, make it however you want. Trying to get every detail exact is just too stressful.

Really nice work. Can't wait to see it finished.
Thanks! I CANT WAIT EITHERRR

:O wow. Really like the attention to detail, and talk about a scratch build - Looking great!!
Thank ya!

Update!

So I pretty much have my undersuit pants done... Kind of a long story revolving around that. Originally, I wanted to sew everything. But after making 3 pairs of pants and each of them not turning out as well as I would have liked, I completely scrapped the idea of sewing. I hate sewing. HATE IT. So at some point I sat back and said, "Wow, I really hate this crap and I never want to do it again." And what's the point of turning your hobby into something you hate? SO, I went and bought some black tights and a black long sleeve shirt and literally glued all the details right onto the pants.

Front view:
N6ZI9vRl.jpg

Back view:
0eq1Okvl.jpg

Hidden straps I made to hold up my thighs
UwfBxCGl.jpg

The clip to this buckle right in here
xqw26xkl.jpg

And snaps to hold up all my "floating" pieces
Xl2Mr7Xl.jpg
These are knees

All of it on
nonR4oh.jpg

KHbvkJL.jpg

b64IiPZ.jpg

ZO98HRc.jpg

NOTE: This is NOT the finished paint job. It is just the base coat of silver.

I used hot glue to glue those vinyl pieces on. Since the pants are really stretchy, I actually wore them while gluing them on. If you do this, be careful. I stuck a piece of paper between my skin and the fabric to makes sure I didn't burn myself. Worked like a charm.

And also I painted my gun :)
SAyvpAh.jpg

Upper body undersuit next!

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MAH GAWD. That undersuit idea is brilliant! Can I steal it? Wouldn't mind learning to sew, but this just seems sooo much easier, and less frustrating. Amazing work, keep it up. Everything looks great.

Bloody brilliant idea, Do you think that would work with compression garments? or would they have too much stretch?

Ehhh, I'm not a fan of making pants, either. Blech. Also, I've been trying to figure out the best way to keep my thighs in place, and your solution is ideal! Didn't really wanna velcro or snap them on, ya know? ^^;

My God!!! D: what manner of alien technology are you using for your armor??????? Because that armor you have right there is out a this world!!! :p

P.s. that other message was supposed to b a pm idk how it ended up on the thread my sorries :p I know much better now :)

As always your armor looks great. When it comes to your sewing I cracked up. It is probably a good thing foam is so light, other wise you may of had to bite the bullet when it comes to working on your under suit.

My jaw dropped when I saw the pics of you wearing the leg pieces to your armor, extremely well done! I like how you are using snaps and buckles to hold everything up, I was trying to think ahead to how I was going to solve that problem for myself, I think I'll keep your idea in mind. Great work!!

Looking great! Also I'm stealing ideas from your undersuit if you don't mind. I've already thought of adding buckles to the suit that connects to pieces but snaps for the 'floating' pieces?? GENIUS! Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back