kitnip's Halo 4 Master Chief foam build with custom paint scheme and undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is now my new favorite thread. Besides the fact that you have some really righteous skills and very awesome ideas, I also just noticed that you started this thread on my birthday...Really Cool

Just noticed in one of Ya tutorial sections you mention a Masters Airbrush. I can attest to that brush as it was first airbrush I ever purchased ( and like yourself I paid more for shipping than the actual brush itself, yay for being in Australia lol )
Kinda unrelated but I like to brag cause it's my baby, I nowam using a Iwata Micron airbrush which I'm really keen to let loose on my build when it hits painting stage.

Otherwise still loving the progress and your attention to detail. Keep it up

OMG. I'm away for a few weeks and you're just rippin' out all this progress! The suit looks fantastic, I'm so happy for you. I want to say I'm proud of you, but not a parent's pride or even a fan's pride, more of a sisters-in-arms pride? -if that doesn't sound pretentious, like yay you did it, high-fives all around! Anyways, I can't see anything to critique with your suit, and I'm so looking forward to seeing that color scheme fully fleshed out. You're gonna be one badass looking fem-spartan strutting around. Are you incorporating the pink into all the pieces? Or just certain sections?

What else... *checks* ah the LEDs. Definitely think white was a smart choice there. Like in the games, you can get away with blue lights because you're really only dealing with one color scheme so color theory comes less into play. Whereas when you add an accent, it's one more element to consider. In others words I think white lights will go a lot better with the gray/pink than straight-up blue. As for the undersuit, it's looking like that's the thing everyone differs and stresses most on. There's the practicality versus artistry factor that people get hung up with, and as someone who will eventually have to walk down that path, it's hard to voice any kind of opinion on it. I'm sure everyone wants it to look exactly how they see it, but honestly it isn't worth suffering physically (and mentally) over. So you do whatever you feel is right and don't feel bad about it.
Can't wait to see more painting pics!!

looking great
This is looking great so far!
Thanks guys!

OH MAH GAWD. That undersuit idea is brilliant! Can I steal it? Wouldn't mind learning to sew, but this just seems sooo much easier, and less frustrating. Amazing work, keep it up. Everything looks great.
Thanks! STEAL AWAY PLEASE! It really was a lot easier lol.

This is awesome. That gun is absolutely amazing... o.o
Rock on. Looks great.
oma man thats just mind blowing the detail on it is amazing!!! I cant wait 2 c more pics and i cant wait 2 c it finished.
Yay, thanks!

Bloody brilliant idea, Do you think that would work with compression garments? or would they have too much stretch?
Hmmm, I don't see why not. These pants are REALLY stretchy and it worked good. If you can, test it out on a little piece and see.

Ehhh, I'm not a fan of making pants, either. Blech. Also, I've been trying to figure out the best way to keep my thighs in place, and your solution is ideal! Didn't really wanna velcro or snap them on, ya know? ^^;
Yeah, the only thing is if your thighs are heavy they are going to pull down your pants lol. Mine are made of foam, so they don't really tug

My God!!! D: what manner of alien technology are you using for your armor??????? Because that armor you have right there is out a this world!!! :p

P.s. that other message was supposed to b a pm idk how it ended up on the thread my sorries :p I know much better now :)
LOL, it's all good! Thanks!

As always your armor looks great. When it comes to your sewing I cracked up. It is probably a good thing foam is so light, other wise you may of had to bite the bullet when it comes to working on your under suit.
Very true. If my armor was any heavier, I would of made a kind of belt harness like most people do.

My jaw dropped when I saw the pics of you wearing the leg pieces to your armor, extremely well done! I like how you are using snaps and buckles to hold everything up, I was trying to think ahead to how I was going to solve that problem for myself, I think I'll keep your idea in mind. Great work!!
Thank yooou. The snaps are actually working fantastic. And they are really easy to install too.

Looking great! Also I'm stealing ideas from your undersuit if you don't mind. I've already thought of adding buckles to the suit that connects to pieces but snaps for the 'floating' pieces?? GENIUS! Keep up the good work!
Haha, thanks! They are working super-duper lol

This is now my new favorite thread. Besides the fact that you have some really righteous skills and very awesome ideas, I also just noticed that you started this thread on my birthday...Really Cool
Thanks! And happy belated birthday :p

Just noticed in one of Ya tutorial sections you mention a Masters Airbrush. I can attest to that brush as it was first airbrush I ever purchased ( and like yourself I paid more for shipping than the actual brush itself, yay for being in Australia lol )
Kinda unrelated but I like to brag cause it's my baby, I nowam using a Iwata Micron airbrush which I'm really keen to let loose on my build when it hits painting stage.

Otherwise still loving the progress and your attention to detail. Keep it up
Thank you :) Airbrushing is like so satisfying for some reason lol. It's acutally probably been my favorite part of this whole build.

I will add my comment once the paints all done :D
uUrKl1Ql.jpg

Looking better and better!

May I ask what you're using for the undersuit detail pieces?
Just like black vinyl. Found it at my local fabric store. Just ask for vinyl and they will be able to show you where :)

OMG. I'm away for a few weeks and you're just rippin' out all this progress! The suit looks fantastic, I'm so happy for you. I want to say I'm proud of you, but not a parent's pride or even a fan's pride, more of a sisters-in-arms pride? -if that doesn't sound pretentious, like yay you did it, high-fives all around! Anyways, I can't see anything to critique with your suit, and I'm so looking forward to seeing that color scheme fully fleshed out. You're gonna be one badass looking fem-spartan strutting around. Are you incorporating the pink into all the pieces? Or just certain sections?

What else... *checks* ah the LEDs. Definitely think white was a smart choice there. Like in the games, you can get away with blue lights because you're really only dealing with one color scheme so color theory comes less into play. Whereas when you add an accent, it's one more element to consider. In others words I think white lights will go a lot better with the gray/pink than straight-up blue. As for the undersuit, it's looking like that's the thing everyone differs and stresses most on. There's the practicality versus artistry factor that people get hung up with, and as someone who will eventually have to walk down that path, it's hard to voice any kind of opinion on it. I'm sure everyone wants it to look exactly how they see it, but honestly it isn't worth suffering physically (and mentally) over. So you do whatever you feel is right and don't feel bad about it.
Can't wait to see more painting pics!!
YAY, thanks spartan sister!! LOL. I've definitely been busting my butt making sure I have it done for my con at the end of the month. I'll be putting pink into just some of the pieces; doing the whole striped asymmetrical effect. And yeah, I have the LED's quite a bit of thought. I thought of doing pink but was like that's too much pink and with other pink that's probably going to look a little too girly. But I turned the LED's on my now painted helmet and I can tell you... white's awesome :)

Just a little teaser for you guys because I'm mean like that, I finished painting the helmet and the chest last night.

8BNJK69l.jpg

Hopefully my next update will be very soon; and you will all get to see a badass little spartan running around in full costume!

hell ya! this is awesome! i loooove the paint scheme. great idea on the undersuit pants and gluing on the detail. and i TOTALLY feel you on the sewing thing. it sucked so much to get the hang of it. keep up the great work!

Oh my...That paint job is the best that I have seen on this site yet! LOVE. Gonna have to break down and get myself an airbrush kit to play with, I think... You really nailed that gunmetal (and I do mean metal) perfectly, and your paint wear is just right. ^^

I really would be giddy to see this suit at a convention someday. Being a part of the community really started in my heart when I saw my first spartan at a convention, but only one of them was a female spartan (though I think there were others, I only met one.). I can't wait to add to the ranks once I'm done, too!

(My thighs are foam, too. Walking makes em work their way off, so I needed a more solid way to keep em where they should be. ^_^;)

Awesome!

yay for chick Spartans! :D I'm quite jelly of dem skills!

I have a question: did you use any particular files for the thighs and shins? Or were they custom drawn?

Seriously, keep building! Must see!

Truly inspirational work!

:O liking the paint!!

hell ya! this is awesome! i loooove the paint scheme. great idea on the undersuit pants and gluing on the detail. and i TOTALLY feel you on the sewing thing. it sucked so much to get the hang of it. keep up the great work!

Oh my...That paint job is the best that I have seen on this site yet! LOVE. Gonna have to break down and get myself an airbrush kit to play with, I think... You really nailed that gunmetal (and I do mean metal) perfectly, and your paint wear is just right. ^^

I really would be giddy to see this suit at a convention someday. Being a part of the community really started in my heart when I saw my first spartan at a convention, but only one of them was a female spartan (though I think there were others, I only met one.). I can't wait to add to the ranks once I'm done, too!

(My thighs are foam, too. Walking makes em work their way off, so I needed a more solid way to keep em where they should be. ^_^;)

Ack, omg stop it - but not really. Ah so excited to see it's completion.

Awesome!

yay for chick Spartans! :D I'm quite jelly of dem skills!

I have a question: did you use any particular files for the thighs and shins? Or were they custom drawn?

Seriously, keep building! Must see!

Thanks guys!!! So much love in here!! :):$ Serin: The thighs and shins were custom drawn. I wrapped some paper around the leg and sketched out the pattern that way.

BIG UPDATE!

The suit is completely painted and the majority of the undersuit is done!

Here's some full body shots:

eN95enH.png

Ximjlk8.png

sfgVGaT.png

l7KAicH.jpg

rdgbi84.jpg

7dz5aFA.png

So I made a major decision and decided not to incorporate lights into my suit. For now anyways. I installed some and I found they weren't giving me the look I was going for (I think they are too bright) and they seemed to be very distracting and take away from the rest of the armor. I re-taped my light window spots and painted over them so if I decide to install lights in the future, I just need to rip the tape off. The helmet will still have the LEDs.

The undersuit isn't the high quality I wanted at the beginning but I'm kind of taking the lemons that life is giving me, lol. Looking at these pictures I'm going to add vinyl pieces to the sides using my own design. Unforunately, the pants are also a bit see through (oops LOL) so I'll most likely wear shorts underneath my pants. Most of my armor is held up using snaps except for the parachute clips I used for my thighs.

So I just have to add my finishing touches and the suit will be done! And although it may be "finished" it isn't necessarily "complete" since I will probably always be trying to make improvements. But I will definitely be ready for the Edmonton Expo coming up in a couple weeks!!

Thanks for all the love guys! I wouldn't of been able to do all of this without you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so inspiring, you know. Your suit is top notch...It really does look like metal! That custom secondary paint idea is so perfect; I need to try and come up with a secondary paint design all my own, too. You have shown how great it can turn out.

...And is that Roxy's tea-bagging sticker I see? lol I love it! ^____^ <3

If you're looking for lighting that isn't overwhelming i saw that someone was using electroluminescent tape on his build for some areas maybe you should look into it. I love your armor :) I'm still prepping my helmet >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back