Knife making continues.

I've been working on this one for the last week. Finished this afternoon. Japanese Nakiri knife. High carbon steel blade, hammered finish. Eucalyptus burl handle scales.

CUV56aJ.jpg

I just finished this Damascus Chef's knife today, after weeks of fussing over the blade design. My thanks to a handful of talented knifemakers who gave me advice and guidance on this one, Including all the team at Tharwa Valley Forge, as well as some experienced guild members. Practice makes perfect! I'm very happy with it. The Damascus steel is a billet I forged some weeks ago - a sixteen layer twist pattern.
Baz.

2JuXmSF.jpg

6j7e85V.jpg

R96p49p.jpg

My first friction folder. A first-time success, but already there are things I would do different. All that is left to do on this one is clean up the cutting edge profile and sharpen, plus work the mechanism a bit to loosen it. It's a little tight - I suppose it's new so that's only natural. It looks good and feels good in the hand, with no worried feeling that it's going to slip during use, nor worry of it opening in your pocket.

I'm pretty happy with it, so now to practice and perfect it, then I'll start changing up the designs.

EsLz1eh.jpg

o9autyI.jpg

blV9MYv.gif

Baz, please go on forged in fire!

I don't have a competitive bone in my body mate. :D

looks like a chili pepper.....
That's the first thing that came to kind and then I went to comment, scrolled down, and saw this! Darn you!

Looks great. Love the handle. What wood is it?

If your feeling adventurous, I highly recommend a resin pinecone handle. I know you got pine trees down under, but does that mean you have pinecones readily accessible?

^^^ Thanks Dash. UGH!! That PURPLE!! I have seen many resin stabilised woods, some nice, some disgusting. With knives, often less is more. If you make your handle too leary, it takes away from the blade. Especially a Damascus blade. You must go easy on bling.

Update:

Just finished. Friction folder evolution. My own design, using the same angles in my makers stamp, translated to all parts of the knife. This one is a prototype. There are a couple of angles I am going to change ever so slightly to the order of perfection, plus I am going to taper the thickness of the thumb lever for a perfect fit. That being said, I love this knife and I am seriously thinking of keeping it instead of selling it.

x6cEIaA.jpg

Z0175ff.jpg

^^^ Thanks Dash. UGH!! That PURPLE!! I have seen many resin stabilised woods, some nice, some disgusting. With knives, often less is more. If you make your handle too leary, it takes away from the blade. Especially a Damascus blade. You must go easy on bling.

Update:

Just finished. Friction folder evolution. My own design, using the same angles in my makers stamp, translated to all parts of the knife. This one is a prototype. There are a couple of angles I am going to change ever so slightly to the order of perfection, plus I am going to taper the thickness of the thumb lever for a perfect fit. That being said, I love this knife and I am seriously thinking of keeping it instead of selling it.

View attachment 267446

View attachment 267447
That is very clean and beutiful! One question though, if you throw it will it come back to you? Xb

While showing a quick video of how my latest knife works, I thought I'd have a quick play around with a free video editor and chuck in the intro clip. I need to learn all the tricks of a full version video editor, but that's a way off yet.

Whaddya reckon?

Baz.

There's a few things about my new design that I'm not quite satisfied with. So, I've broken it apart to make changes, as well as use it to make a template for more. I'm pretty excited about this one. When you hold it in your hand or slip it in your pocket, you just know it's going to become a well used tool.

uWI4R0h.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back