Last Health / Stupid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayawizard

Is the cancer that is caused from the fiberglass and bondo lung cancer?

Should I shower when I sans bondo and get it on my legs and such... Or is this sanded dust fine?

And how do I know if my respirator is working? It is rated r 95 for OVs. Thanks all!

-Mayawizard

I think the dust particles could cause lung cancer, much like asbestos...

The fumes could probably damage nerves, too.

As for the respirator, put it on and cover the filter with your hand, inhaling. If the respirator sucks into your face, it's working.

lets not go around speculating on issues you know nothing about.

if you are this worried about the potential health risks of using these Materials, call the manufacturers. They will be able to answer all of your questions.

Dont go trusting some random kids on the internet, call the pros

DreadMullet said:
lets not go around speculating on issues you know nothing about.

if you are this worried about the potential health risks of using these Materials, call the manufacturers. They will be able to answer all of your questions.

Dont go trusting some random kids on the internet, call the pros

Answers from 3m (manufacturer of Bondo), you can click the product to view the msds. Any further information desired would best be discussed with a physician.

Bondo

3.2 POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS

Eye Contact:

Moderate Eye Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include redness, swelling, pain, tearing, and blurred or hazy vision.

Skin Contact:

Mild Skin Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include localized redness, swelling, and itching.

Allergic Skin Reaction (non-photo induced): Signs/symptoms may include redness, swelling, blistering, and itching.

Inhalation:

Respiratory Tract Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include cough, sneezing, nasal discharge, headache, hoarseness, and nose and

throat pain.

Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause:

Pneumoconiosis: Sign/symptoms may include persistent cough, breathlessness, chest pain, increased amounts of sputum, and

changes in lung function tests.

Ingestion:

Gastrointestinal Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include abdominal pain, stomach upset, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

May be absorbed following ingestion and cause target organ effects.

Target Organ Effects:

Liver Effects: Signs/symptoms may include loss of appetite, weight loss, fatigue, weakness, abdominal tenderness and

jaundice.

Kidney/Bladder Effects: Signs/symptoms may include changes in urine production, abdominal or lower back pain, increased

protein in urine, increased blood urea nitrogen (BUN), blood in urine, and painful urination.

FiberGlass

Eye Contact:

No health effects are expected.

Skin Contact:

Inhalation:

Ingestion:

Target Organ Effects:

FiberGlass Resin

Eye Contact:

Moderate Eye Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include redness, swelling, pain, tearing, and blurred or hazy vision.

Skin Contact:

Moderate Skin Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include localized redness, swelling, itching, and dryness.

Inhalation:

Respiratory Tract Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include cough, sneezing, nasal discharge, headache, hoarseness, and nose and

throat pain.

May be absorbed following inhalation and cause target organ effects.

Ingestion:

Gastrointestinal Irritation: Signs/symptoms may include abdominal pain, stomach upset, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

May be absorbed following ingestion and cause target organ effects.

Target Organ Effects:

Central Nervous System (CNS) Depression: Signs/symptoms may include headache, dizziness, drowsiness, incoordination, nausea,

slowed reaction time, slurred speech, giddiness, and unconsciousness.

Auditory Effects: Signs/symptoms may include hearing impairment, balance dysfunction and ringing in the ears.

Liver Effects: Signs/symptoms may include loss of appetite, weight loss, fatigue, weakness, abdominal tenderness and jaundice.

Neurological Effects: Signs/symptoms may include personality changes, lack of coordination, sensory loss, tingling or

numbness of the extremities, weakness, tremors, and/or changes in blood pressure and heart rate.

Ocular Effects: Signs/symptoms may include blurred or significantly impaired vision.

Immunological Effects: Signs/symptoms may include alterations in the number of circulating immune cells, allergic skin and

/or respiratory reaction, and changes in immune function.

Carcinogenicity:

Contains a chemical or chemicals which can cause cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
A while back I had lung problems from using fiberglass and resin for the last 5 years or so without a respirator mask (heck I figured if I can't see it it won't hurt me and I'm doing it out in the open air) big mistake after a prolonged use of the stuff my left lung is still damaged and weak and I was in a hyperbaric chamber therapy for a week to help heal some of the damage. Unfortunatly I still have trouble breathing and I can't stand for long periods or I'll collapse so if that gives any idea of what the long term effects can do to you, well you get a general idea.

I hate even working with the stuff. I did some resin on one of my new shins earlier, and since its cooler outside it was pretty sticky, so I brought it inside(idiot) and dried it some with a hairdryer for a couple minutes inside a small bathroom with the door shut(huge idiot) now I'm lightheaded from the fumes, and part of my house stinks.

One would think after working in the stuff for a year now I would have better sense than this.

Nintendude said:
A while back I had lung problems from using fiberglass and resin for the last 5 years or so without a respirator mask (heck I figured if I can't see it it won't hurt me and I'm doing it out in the open air) big mistake after a prolonged use of the stuff my left lung is still damaged and weak and I was in a hyperbaric chamber therapy for a week to help heal some of the damage. Unfortunatly I still have trouble breathing and I can't stand for long periods or I'll collapse so if that gives any idea of what the long term effects can do to you, well you get a general idea.

u gonna make a full recovery?

Mayawizard, rule of thumb, use the repirator at all times

btw does anyone know the effects of bondo/rondo DUST, im guessing that the description above is when its curing

but i would like to know as im having occasional chest pains that are only happening after a few hours of sanding bondo/rondo. i am using a respirator and working in an open enviroment

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back