Legendary Armor Spartan Armor Progress....

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of 1/16 end mill would you need and how much flute? My husband makes end mills and I showed him the work you are doing and he wanted me to ask.

Also, when he saw the video that showed most of the machine you are using, he said it was a way different set up than what he uses at work.

Attachments

• p588.gif
    p588.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 0JZK.gif
    0JZK.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 164
  • UB9L.gif
    UB9L.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 160
  • NA8v.gif
    NA8v.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 2tSa.gif
    2tSa.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 161
  • oCRg.gif
    oCRg.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 180
I will find out. nexnox would know better for that machine. I will ask him. Your husband makes the endmills? That's awesome. I've always wondered how they do that.

Again, you guys are so makin me itchy on wanting to get into the CNC lab at my school. But alas I have to wait until my Engineering class starts. OH well more work on my Foam Build. You guys are again, highly inspriational.

I'm continuingly showing your vids to some of my future class mates, and gettin pretty excited for class to start in February. Why must I go through psychology and not Engineering right now, WHY?!

If possible, and somebody used a soft wood or particle board, do you think a cnc would do pretty good at this? Or would it just burn up too many bits, and ruin a good project?

You'd probably want to run MDF rather than standard particle board. Less porous. It should run okay but you'd want to run it slower with smaller bites or it will eat through bits pretty quickly.

Well, I cranked up the speed on the cnc router so I could go home earlier. It definitely takes it toll on the parts. The detail is not sharp and some edges don't match up perfectly. Not a big deal. More sanding.
IMG_1104.jpg

I'd recommend tooling board over MDF any day of the week. It's heavy, gives off toxic vapors if your bit burns it, and laminating 3/4" sheets together is a real pain, not to mention the futility of trying to clean up detailing before you mold it. If you want to go as "fuzzy chief", mdf is a solid material, otherwise not so much.

When working on the chest piece for my Mk VI, I broke 4 or 5 1/8" bits before I found a speed and plunge depth that worked (mostly).

Nexnox, who does your shop get their bits from?

I think MDF is what I was talking about, my boss always got mad at me for calling it particle board.

Well I gues speeding it up wasn't too bad if an idea there, just gave yourself a little more time at the sander.

Stormy can't post on this thread anymore for some reason. Something changed in his permissions. I told him to post senselessly on everyone's thread to get his post count up. LOL.
shoulder.jpg

LOL! I wonder where you get the idea that something like that might actually work?

*looks in the creation discussion forum at the newly arisen zombified threads....

Oh Hey! Thats gonna be a sharp looking shoulder Bishop! And so you know... Im in the process of buying a cnc mill now cause this is the single most addicting thing Ive seen here.... Im gonna get a 3 axis and convert it to a 5 axis with a special head I found for sale. Thats gonna be awhile, but Ill definitely post about it here once its going. Well... not in this thread of course...

Anyway, love this thread, I check it every day! Nice work you collaborative effort maniacs!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROcSOKZKJnn-BrzNUWt3BZOq72GqOXRIgnPGK9irR3hyyj-MbS.jpg

Oh YEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROcSOKZKJnn-BrzNUWt3BZOq72GqOXRIgnPGK9irR3hyyj-MbS.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROcSOKZKJnn-BrzNUWt3BZOq72GqOXRIgnPGK9irR3hyyj-MbS.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 159
I think the thing about doing the back piece of the torso is the large amount of undercuts, and trying to mill it like everything else may have not worked out completly. I mean, its not a lost piece by any means, but ALOT of sanding and work needed to finish it.

Yeah. It will take about 4 hours to get it to the point where is should have been. Not a big deal but needless work where it wasn't needed.
IMG_1123.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back