Legendary Armor Spartan Armor Progress....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...
I'd say that a ton of effort goes into pepakura and the way we are building. We just happen to be fortunate to be working with some amazingly talented people. Skullcandy and Stormy are great modelers. They are both professionals in the industry that 3D model for a living. They've spent days on some models and even longer on others. CNC is not easy. There is a ton of programming that is necessary after the model is built. There is a bit of machining experience necessary to CNC also. I wish it were as easy as just putting a block of foam in the machine and pushing a button but it's not. It often takes 8 to 12 hours to set up a file to run. Beyond that, there is the hand sculpting, sanding, sealing, sanding, details, sanding, laser cutting, machining, sanding, sealing, sanding, sanding and then you get to molding.

Obviously, there are huge costs involved also. The green foam is $1000usd per board. We are spending a ton of time and money, all of us, on this project. It's not to make it back in sales but for fun.

Ok guys, they're on to us. Post the link to the ArmorMatic 5000 already. Slogan: "It's Armor MAGIC!"

There's a lot of skill involved in CNC, there's a lot of skill in molding and casting. There's skill in making pepakura look good too. Its just different skill sets.

As far as "pushing a button" and having armor come out, take a look at some of the documentaries about the making of the live action Reach armor, or the suits for Iron Man. I dare you to tell me those guys just "pushed a button"!

Sent from my Droid

Just from the long winded responses, you can tell that everyone has put a lot of effort and time into making these parts. :D

Bishop,
How would one pursue a career working a shop like yours, creating armor and props?
I think what you guys do is amazing and would love to do that as a job, much like y'all do!

I am actually majoring in manufacturing engineering because it was the closest thing I could think of... :p

There's not reason not to use tools that are available to you. That would just be silly not to. Building armor via CNC and modeling takes a ton of effort and skill. That's why we get paid such giant money. Huge in fact....LOL.

Very wise words. If we have the feature, why not use it. With the use of machines, we have better results. Is not a means worthless, but more expensive, that's all.

Just from the long winded responses, you can tell that everyone has put a lot of effort and time into making these parts. :D

yeah, :$ i can see that now.. i'm sorry if not everyone took it as a joke but it wasn't a very good one so the fault is mine. i have changed my old post so it is nicer :) i'm glad your not ranting about how i'm turning into a troll, i'm not because it is just tension from the last days of school, i try to make a few (bad, but not intentionally) jokes on the forum to try to keep myself sane..

once again, great job on the armor! is it just the helmet that is almost complete or do you have multiple parts of the armor in secret production lol :p i'm going to have another read through the thread again, to see if i can find the answer myself :D

oh, and skullcandygirl, sorry if i pissed you off, you have done a great job on those renders, i could not come anywhere close to that, i struggle to make a smily face in 3d :p . slave5, you have done a great job too, thanks for not going ballistic at my bad joke. your whole legendary team is so legendary :)

Apology accepted monk :) Just for future reference, so there isn't a misunderstanding for third parties and to save you some headaches, jokes said out of context and in general not said in person can get twisted by someone's perspective. We had some nasty characters a couple years ago take shots at me and the Legendary Guys, so there is some baggage there at least on my part, I can't speak for everyone. We're all easy peasy now :)

Game on :)

Just trawled through the latter parts of this thread - beautiful work, kudos to all involved :D

I particularly like the modelling and CNC work on the AR and magnum, but it's all so shiny! ;)

Bishop,
How would one pursue a career working a shop like yours, creating armor and props?

There's obviously some major inspirational force at work here today, because I asked Bishop pretty much the same thing in a PM only a few hours ago :)

Holy crap this thread is amazing. I would do anything to get a job like that.

When I made my AR I also used laser cut acrylic, but mine didn't have that much detal. You guys are inspiring me to go back and make ultra high def everything. Keep it up.

Well, thanks guys. We all appreciate the compliments. The truth is, the way to pursue a job like this is to apply. It's that simple. Having abilities with machining and carpentry, etc are definitely going to help your chances of landing a job. Persistence will get you a job in a company like this too. I started here with no experience. I started here cleaning the shop when I was 19 and now 20 years later....I clean the shop better than anyone else possibly could. LOL.

On a lighter note....Skullcandy Girl strikes again....or still.....

FOREARM05.jpg

FOREARM06.jpg

FOREARM07.jpg

FOREARM08.jpg

FOREARM09.jpg

icon14.png

Oh hey in a really roundabout way we do have a thumbsup icon, so:

icon14.png
icon14.png

Nice work as always SKG, lovin your models! Got some more pics ready for you, I'll send you a link in a little bit...

Attachments

• icon14.png
    icon14.png
    589 bytes · Views: 136
  • icon14.png
    icon14.png
    589 bytes · Views: 128
  • icon14.png
    icon14.png
    589 bytes · Views: 137
  • icon14.png
    icon14.png
    589 bytes · Views: 138
  • icon14.png
    icon14.png
    589 bytes · Views: 132
Never give up Skylow, we all start somewhere and if I remember correctly you sculpted a nice looking reach helmet :)

@Ruze: Thanks Ruze, as always thanks to your reference I couldn't get it done as fast as I have been :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back