Let The Madness Begin, Or My Warthog Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeh, where im at its also known as a 4 runner. im not sure if im going to have it road registered or not, only because the laws here are forever changing. what im aiming to do is make a weapon setup (just swap the turrent fo a seat). because the hilux is narrower then american pickups i was thinking of making it smaller then the ingame one. going off of the halo wiki fan page, the warthogs quoted as 6m or 20ft long and 3.2m or 10ft wide.

As the wheelbase of the hilux is already 121.5 in (3,086 mm) or 3 odd meters long i was planning on scaling the warthog body to 4 meters instead of 6 meters long and 2 instead of 4 for width. although itll be smaller, itd fit the chassis. although to figure out how long i'd still need a toy to scale it all properly. What do you think, this threads been motivating me more and more to start on my own warthog. All your input has been very helpful so far, adn i hope you finish your build off.

And lastly, i know this is very far down the track, but how are you going to make your dash? thats one problem i've been thinking about lately

yeh, where im at its also known as a 4 runner. im not sure if im going to have it road registered or not, only because the laws here are forever changing. what im aiming to do is make a weapon setup (just swap the turrent fo a seat). because the hilux is narrower then American pickups i was thinking of making it smaller then the in game one. going off of the halo wiki fan page, the warthogs quoted as 6m or 20ft long and 3.2m or 10ft wide.

As the wheelbase of the hilux is already 121.5 in (3,086 mm) or 3 odd meters long i was planning on scaling the warthog body to 4 meters instead of 6 meters long and 2 instead of 4 for width. although itll be smaller, itd fit the chassis. although to figure out how long i'd still need a toy to scale it all properly. What do you think, this threads been motivating me more and more to start on my own warthog. All your input has been very helpful so far, adn i hope you finish your build off.

And lastly, i know this is very far down the track, but how are you going to make your dash? thats one problem i've been thinking about lately

The wiki warthog measurements are way off, if you go by the basic thought that Spartans are 7 foot tall and measure the in game warthog there is no way it's that long. That was the first thing I threw out the window. There is a thread here on the 405th discussing this already. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...-the-warthog-im-thinking-about-building/page2

Now from what I have found to give you a visual the 1st,2nd and 3rd generation Toyota track width is 66.5 inches, the 4th generation Toyota track width is 73.8 inch, the Ford Bronco I am dropping the warthog body on has a 79.3 inch track width. So if you did go with the 4th generation you would only have around 5.5 inches to make up total (2.75 inch per side). It looks like if you get or make some wheel spacers and deep dish rims you can make it closer track width to the american full size if you use the Toyota. Also looking up the width of the Land Rover 110 like Peter Cooper use for the Operation Chastity warthog it has a 70.5 track width.

Here are a couple of models to look at for ideas and absorb for your project.
http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=26893&page=0

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/898611-Official-New-Mombasa-Project/page22

so what measurements are you going for your cab? i know i cant use them, simply due to the fact that I'm planning on using a different chassis but it would be a good guideline. and yeh for the dash it said something about fibreglass? but if you made a suitable mold you'd be able to make the dash that way couldnt you?

so what measurements are you going for your cab? i know i cant use them, simply due to the fact that I'm planning on using a different chassis but it would be a good guideline. and yeh for the dash it said something about fibreglass? but if you made a suitable mold you'd be able to make the dash that way couldn't you?

I am still at work so when I get home on the 15th I will take some basic measurements for you.

You could make a mold but I don't plan on mass producing them so just one will do. So I think a basic square tube frame with wood or fibreglass would be easiest and last a while. If you were good with PEP you could also scale you out a dash in it to use. The way Weta did there warthog was they used a solid foam block then carved it out. Once they had there shape they fiberglassed it. To give it a armor look they put bent aluminium on it over the fiberglass panels in places.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/20542-Weta-Warthog-Construction-Info

In this thread I have a link to a lot of Weta warthog info, even a few naked shots of the frame and where they are fiberglassing it and putting the aluminium panels on it. The first link in this thread has a interview answering a few questions about it also. I also have a few other links to check out in that thread also. If you have VIDEO DOWNLOAD HELPER for firefox you can download the videos. Then use VLC MEDIA PLAYER and you can take screen shots or even frame by frame to get what you want.

For reference I have in game halo 1,2,3,odst, reach, weta and OC warthog pictures. So mine doesn't have just one pattern to follow. Take what I like and need from each of them.

aye man, yeh thanks that thread is really helpful aye. i was watching a vid about the weta hog and reading interviews and trying to take notes as fast as i could. however with the body im doing it differently, probably more how car panels are normally done. I was thinking of starting with the running gear and doing all the modifications to all that side before i start making a shell, just so as i move i can take it with me. are you going after 2 wheel or 4 wheel steer again?

Hey I havent been on in awhile just checking in here and i got to say.... I AM AMAZED!!!! Your progress my friend is astounding! I can not wait to see it finished!!!

Started watching Day 1 and still watching!

I have read (somewhat) what your doing and think its amazing. I cant wait to see the final piece come through. Its looking badass right now, im sure it will only get better with time.

Right now I am back home and have been trying to get everything that I have had backed up for the last month out of the way. I still have patches on my roof to do where a storm messed up the shingles. Been doing some work to my 1952 ford. I have took it a long way in the last few months. Getting the engine for the bronco chassis for the warthog ready to go into it's new home. I don't leave for work till the 11th. Before I leave I will have those measurements you asked for (runcornstuntman) and will have the warthog hog off of the blazer chassis and on the bronco chassis. Don't worry this isn't dieing or going away anytime soon.

Just a idea of what I have done on the 52 ford. I haven't been slacking.
5536608466_1c4a34050a.jpg

5536613406_9f39062762.jpg

5695243308_34a4cd7faa.jpg

5694707995_5890e869ca.jpg

5711546309_28c98c0470.jpg

5712128902_38250aa658.jpg

5871954650_935cd936fd.jpg

5871951568_cb9d1b5984.jpg

Really good to hear your still at it. Hope you get time to tackle all those projects. And the Ford looks great. There is something simply timeless about old trucks. You just can't beat a classic like that.

Well I have officially ran out of time this trip home. Other stuff got in the way and I didn't get the chassis swap done like I wanted too. Next time home the kids will be back in school and I will have more free time. I did get the Bronco chassis ready for the swap so it will be ready to go when I get in. Sorry for anyone wanting a update, but I will be continuing on when I get back home.

UPDATE
8-18-2011

Finally after a week at home dealing with getting pages added to my passport and other stuff I needed for work I have free time again. The kids are off in school now so besides the weekend I will have more time for all of my projects. I have moved the bronco into the shop and have started stripping the body parts I don't need off. Soon it will be time to break out the sawsall and get the parts that won't unbolt out of the way. Then I can start test fitting the body to the chassis. I looks like I will be cutting out my start of a transmission tunnel and floor because I am going to try and keep the floor and firewall from the bronco. I will be able now to use the tires and rims in my first post since those rims are set up for a ford truck bolt pattern. So once again, here I go.

6057180473_8dc96e90b7_b.jpg

6057181959_e251607cfe_b.jpg

6057184859_aa42197ff8_b.jpg

Ahh, I got really excited when I saw you were back at it. This is with out a doubt the most unique build on the forum. Keep up the awesome work.

UPDATE:
8-30-2011
Been a busy weekend, but I got back at it today. I got the rest of the FT clip, doors, top and tailgate off. Then it was time to break the sawsall out. I got the top cut off and the windshild posts off. I took a measurement of the width I have between the body it was 63 3/4" wide, then I took a measurement of where the floor board meets the side where I was planning on cutting it off at 63-3/4" PERFECT! The sides come off tomorrow, then on to pulling the warthog body off it's chassis and start trimming the new chassis for the body. This should be a done deal before I go back to work on the 5th.

6097971111_e7c7f85024_b.jpg

6098519354_4a3cb448d3_b.jpg

6098520656_9b51d62423_b.jpg

6097975505_f565f9e2de_b.jpg

6097976909_90492e2f16_b.jpg

Lookin good, do you by any chance have the tailgate, and how were you doing the windsheild, because I was thinkin, just go to the junkyard, find one of those cars with the bubbly rear windows and stick one of those on the front.

Also do they make any smaller headlights?

you, my friend, are going cause many car accidents due to people looking at your hog and how awesome it is instead of the road.

Lolz, when I was on my way back from florida there was a 1 hour hold up in traffic on the highway because of an accident.

The accident was somehow on top of the divider, and not in the way, but everybody stopped to look at it and held up traffic behind them.

I wonder what this thing would cause. Or if it will turn out street legal.

anyway the accident kind of happened like this:

A rider truck was speeding, and some guy in a van fell asleep. The guy in the van went off road, then crashed into the divider, went through it, and the guy in the rider truck was going too fast to stop, and they hit head on, because they were both goin a different direction on the highway, and one of them ended up on the other side somehow. Then they both got smashed together into a puddle of goo and they couldnt figure out which of them were in which vehicle, and everybody stopped to look,because they were almost completely liquified.

Sorry for the long story, but its pretty unbelieveable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back