LongShot-X's Mark VI HD MJOLNIR Armor - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress Update

Applyed Rondo to the inside of the Helm:

Buzzing off the excess on the inside (preparing it for Rondo'ing)
img00013205.jpg

Before Pic
img00013218.jpg

Swishing the Rondo around
img00013655.jpg

After Pic
img00013659.jpg

Updated my progress website: www.longshot-x.com/haloarmor.aspx

Cheers!

Question for the Experts

I have a Question for the experts.

I'm looking for recomendations on where to split the chest piece.
It is a High Def Mark VI piece by Flyingsquirel

I now have everything Fiber glassed and figered that this is now the perfect time to split the chest piece and the Belt piece.

This will also lead into my next question. How to join them back together? Velcro? Straps? Magnets?

Any suggestions and recomendations are welcome

Pics are coming soon!

Progress Update

Spent all morning and part of the afternoon removing the excess Fiberglass from all of the pieces.

Boot Covers
img00014058.jpg

The Shins
img00014082.jpg

The Thighs
img00014137.jpg

The cod piece. I also made sure that I removed any excess pointy bits from the inside.
VERY IMPORTANT! LOL
img00014166.jpg

The Abdominal Plate
img00014177.jpg

The Chest piece... This one took a bit longer due to its size.
img00014233.jpg

The Forearms.
img00014252.jpg

The Shoulder Pieces
img00014313.jpg

and finally the Wrist Plates
img00014324.jpg

The Helm was already done.
However, during this process I did find a few Fiberglass bubbles.
I used the Dremel to either sand them down --or-- open them up so that i can fill them with resin.

Next to do:
- To fill the burst bubbles with resin
- Start bondo'ing the helm
- Split the Chest piece
- Split the Cod piece

I hope these pics keep you all inspired and motivated to continue with your projects.

Cheers!

Looks like it is turning out very well. Little or no warping, clean, very impressive. And may I say, I am super glad to see someone wearing all of the proper PPE (personal protection equipment)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you sir!!!!!!!

Looks like it is turning out very well. Little or no warping, clean, very impressive. And may I say, I am super glad to see someone wearing all of the proper PPE (personal protection equipment)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you sir!!!!!!!

There is some warping, but only if you know where to look and you are correct, very little.
Once its all bondo'd and painted, it should be harder to notice the warping if any at all.

Thanks Brandon!

Once again, Longshot has provided all of us in the N00B world with a glimmer of vibrant hope, and a renewal of pepakura desire. Top-props to Long-shot-X.
As for splitting the chest piece, I think I may help. I dunno if you have any Halo game boxes, but if you can find a sweet pic of the armor, It will help. ...hang on, I might find ya one... http://gogaminggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/masterchief.jpg Here we go! Ok, so if you look at his left shoulder, (the one on the right of the pic...) there is a dark line and in front of the dark line is a dark square thingy. I would split the armor right there along the dark line, and use "Parachute clips" to hold the two pieces together. (Just in case ou, like me, have no idea what they are, they are the clips that have the little button thingies on the sides that you push and they come apart. I'll look for another pic. If you can't tell, I'm a visual learner.) http://www.creativegrids.com/acatalog/P0113_t.jpg [These are parachute clips.] At the bottom, I sould find a place near the same verticle point and split it there. Hope this helps! And if you've already taken care of all that, then good luck, we wanna see more pics!

Got it! --and-- I have lots of parachute clips.

Thanks Sean! I appreciate your help!

More pics will be coming!

The plan to split the chest piece

This is where the Parachute Clip will be mounted.

You are looking at the inside of the chest piece from the bottom.
On the left is where the Parachute Clip will be mounted. The same will be done on the right.
Im not yet sure if I'll be strapping it in place or if I'll be glueing it in place.
We will see once the chest has been split
FYI: Those strange white lines on fiberglass is where I Dremel'd off the excess rough and pointy fiberglass.
im000841.jpg

Here is another closeup.
im000840.jpg

Thanks again to Sean for his help.

NB: I like visual aids too! "A pic really is worth a 1000 words!"

i dont know about snipping it there. if you are having trouble squeezing through the bottom of the chest cutting the top wont do to much unless your cutting the bottom part too, if you are then thats a perfect place. if i were to cut the bottom it would be
gallery_3546_17_80014.jpg
at that cut place under the arm. i cant really describe it but i think you see. i would attach it with those clips if there is room. if not i guess velcro would work.

you cut the top and bottom chest, where previously mentioned, then you re-attach them with the parachute clips and nylon strapping used to ajust backpacks.(for added ajustability.)
and why hasnt this been moved to the creation forum yet?
these builds usualy are by now...

Oh yes! I am going to be cutting the bottom part too!
However, I see a problem. I do not have enough room to manipulate my fingers in the area to release the clip.
I'm thinking of attaching the parachute clips to velcro. That way I can reach inside the chest and rip the clips out.

Sooo.. here is how it would work for getting into the chest:
1) Close the 2 pieces together.
2) Connect the clips together.
3) Place the joined velcro into the chest. Now the chest is closed and properly lined up!
4) Release the clips... but leave them velcro'd to the suit. I know I can do this while I am on the outside of the suit.
5) Get into the chest piece.
6) Connect the clips. This should work since that they are propery lined up from step #3

Getting out:
1) Reach inside the chest cavity and rip out the velcro clips and all.

I'll do a mock up run (with pics) using Duct Tape instead of velcro. To see if its feasable.

But first I have to split the suit... after the resin patching is done.

:)

This looks great keep it up. Regarding something said on the first page about not using the edge id's I actually didn't for my first one.(I thought I had it on but I did not. lol) My first project was Emile's kukri. I have done the pep work so far but I plan to do pepping on a plasma rifle and then Noble six's helmet before I start fiberglassing or whatever is next. Anyway once again great work seeing people succeed on this forum gets me excited about my own projects and seeing others complete theirs. :D

This looks great keep it up. Regarding something said on the first page about not using the edge id's I actually didn't for my first one.(I thought I had it on but I did not. lol) My first project was Emile's kukri. I have done the pep work so far but I plan to do pepping on a plasma rifle and then Noble six's helmet before I start fiberglassing or whatever is next. Anyway once again great work seeing people succeed on this forum gets me excited about my own projects and seeing others complete theirs. :D

My sentiments exactly! More progress pics = More inspiration and motivation for everyone else.

Thanks for the compliment!

My sentiments exactly! More progress pics = More inspiration and motivation for everyone else.

Here here! I agree. I love looking through other peoples progress posts and watching their projects grow. Totally gets me pumped for my own projects. Hey, Longshot, few more questions, is rondo the same concept as bondo? if so, would you recomend it over bondo, and lastly, where would one come across rondo? Home improvement store?

Rondo is a mix of Fiberglass Resin and Autobody filler (more comonly known as "Bondo")

I use an equal mix: 1 part Fiberglass resin (with hardner added) and 1 part Bondo (with hardner added). Hence the term "Rondo" (Resin + Bondo)

The thickness or viscocity is half way between the two. You can add more of one and less of the other to control how thick you want it to be.

I tried it on my helm for 2 reasons:
1) I wanted to try it out for the learning experience
2) I did not want to Dremel out all of the Fiberglass flashings, due to the constrained spaces in the helm. Covering it with Rondo worked out quite well. Except for the extra weight it added.

I literally just poured it into the helm and swished it around until it hardened.

From what I have seen, its faster than Fiberglassing, stronger than Bondo, weaker than Fiberglass, and definitly adds weight.

:p

Progress Update

Finally, after some 2.5 months, I get to Split the chest piece.
img00014402.jpg

Added some Parachute Clips to the top inside of the Left and Right Shoulders.
I had to use LOTS of epoxy. My 1st attempt failed due to not enough epoxy.
im000861.jpg

As you can see I trimmed the clip receptacle.
im000853.jpg

I was starting to sand the area on the helm where the visor needs to be installed.
I had accidentally pressed way to hard on one area.
Now the helm has a boo-boo!
Easy fix.... More Fiberglassing!
Its the spot were the green tape is. (covering Master Chiefs boo-boo)
im000858.jpg

Pulling out some rare earth magnets from a few failed hard drives.
Found some speaker grill for the shoulder speakers. YES Im installing a PA system!
Plan "B" fans for the helm
im000838.jpg

Started Bondo'ing
Yay! Finally no respirator! (well at least for this pic)
Pic is very bright due to the sunlight... did not get a chance to change the settings.
Those are the front of the boot covers.
img00014548.jpg

Next on the to do list:
- Clips and or velcro for the bottom part of the chest piece. (That's for another day)
- Try on all of the pieces (with tape) and see how it all fits together. Pics for sure!!!!

Cheers!

wow man, i really am super jealous of your suit. I want to finish mine by reach and i really have nothing done but a hd left hand plate and a recon helmet (pathetic i know) so in order to finish i dropped from hd to low-def ugggg. i guess i found this site a little too late but i think if i completely screw school for the next 3 weeks i should be able to complete it (i did the math). well great job man and keep it up! Oh i forgot to say this, so your main plan is to but speakers on and your backup is fans? i would put fans first just because it can get hot in there but you might already have ventilation under control and i just am an idoit, well whatever

wow man, i really am super jealous of your suit. I want to finish mine by reach and i really have nothing done but a hd left hand plate and a recon helmet (pathetic i know) so in order to finish i dropped from hd to low-def ugggg. i guess i found this site a little too late but i think if i completely screw school for the next 3 weeks i should be able to complete it (i did the math). well great job man and keep it up! Oh i forgot to say this, so your main plan is to but speakers on and your backup is fans? i would put fans first just because it can get hot in there but you might already have ventilation under control and i just am an idoit, well whatever

Yea I should have been more clearer with what I meant about the speakers and fans.

The Fans: I have some on order for the helmet. But just incase they don't show up, I have a plan "B" for helmet fans.
Speakers: 2 are going to be installed in the top of the shoulder mounts and I will have 2 facing out the back. "360"

Switching from HD to Low Def... "Ugggg" -- I agree. Going Low Def is the best option when you are short on time or want it done faster.

Now, as my brother would say: "Get'r DONE"

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back