Looking To Buy A Snow Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizander

I'm looking to buy a snowboard this year. This will be my first season, so I have never snowboarded before. I am looking to buy a board, but I don't what brand I should buy for the board, bindings or boots.

I am 6'3" and 185 Lbs, and a size 13 shoe size.

I used a size calculator ( http://www.frostyrider.com/tips/size-guide.htm ) to get 162cm board length, and 262mm board waist width (what does the waist width mean)

How is rossignol for a board brand? Forum? Lamar? Salomon? Morrow? Ride? Firefly? These are all the different brands I am looking at at the moment.

I don't want to buy a top of the line board, but I don't want to buy a piece of junk either.

I might be buying a used setup from a friend (board, bindings and boots), is there anything I should watch for? We are about the same height, but I weigh more than him, (I'm 2 inches shorter, but have alot more muscle :p)

Any help or advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

lizander said:
I'm looking to buy a snowboard this year. This will be my first season, so I have never snowboarded before. I am looking to buy a board, but I don't what brand I should buy for the board, bindings or boots.

I am 6'3" and 185 Lbs, and a size 13 shoe size.

I used a size calculator ( http://www.frostyrider.com/tips/size-guide.htm ) to get 162cm board length, and 262mm board waist width (what does the waist width mean)

How is rossignol for a board brand? Forum? Lamar? Salomon? Morrow? Ride? Firefly? These are all the different brands I am looking at at the moment.

I don't want to buy a top of the line board, but I don't want to buy a piece of junk either.

I might be buying a used setup from a friend (board, bindings and boots), is there anything I should watch for? We are about the same height, but I weigh more than him, (I'm 2 inches shorter, but have alot more muscle :p)

Any help or advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

waist width- im pretty sure thats the width of the center of the board

brands- Morrow is good they are made buy K2 and are fairly cheap but really nice(i have a morrow lithium 2009 and its NICE), forum is more expensive but great quality.

type of board- try to get a freestyle as it isnt too long or short allowing you a pretty good range of things to do

Bindings- i like to keep binding the same brand as the board, just make sure you have the right size binding

Boots- brand doesnt matter too much as long as they are comfortable, if your boots dont fit well your feet will try to kill you. tip- if the boots are a good length but still a little tight try taking out the foot bed.

Other stuff- when you buy your board, make sure it has a good amount of flex in it, but doesnt feel cheap, another thing to look for is sales/open houses where do you plan on snowboarding? check that places website and see if they have an open house, you can save hundres of dollars on boards, boots and passes( i want to boston mills and got a brand new board, binding and boots for only about 350, and a season pass was half price)

hope that helps =]

Last edited by a moderator:
For your first snow, you shouldn't mind about the brand yet. Start by buying a whole kit around 200-300$. You'll know later what's more your style.

Long or short

Firm or flex.

Etc.

Burton is a good brand to start with.

Don't get a Firefly though. Not worth it.

Also, don't get a too long board, you'll have a hard time controlling it at first.

I'm 6'2" 185lbs, size 13 shoes and I got a Nitro Magnum 168cm.

Been doing snowboard for about 5 years, went with 3 different board until I found the best for me ;)

I like long and firm, freeride ftw ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back