Lostdude's Mk Vi Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
lostdude said:
I have some big tests coming up soon but after those I should be able to get started on some of the other armor components. There is an armor party for my garisson in two weeks and that should give me a place to fiberglass and bondo a few things I've been needing to.

Thank you both for the complements and I'm thinking about turning the big one into a display piece although the helmet cover is a good idea as well :D
Speaking of good ideas, has anyone ever had this one?

Helm006.jpg

So the bill of the ball cap will fit perfectly into the bill of the helmet and it keeps everything on one place nicely. Since my helmet is completely finished its not needed as much as I had previously thought but still neat.

Cheers!

I did that with my ODST helmet lol. The bill fits perfectly in the visor, plus if I wear it the helmet doesnt move around and is leveled.
picture387si5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Humboldt_spartan said:
carefull..i used a hat inside my first helmet and it warped the bill....looked gangsta.. but not accurate

The hat will only be used (if at all) once the helmet is completely done. I imagine that the padding will be much better but its still a neat idea.

Yes, I will be fully finishing this helmet. A few of my friends want one so I may make some copies for them seeing as they would never have the patience for this but for me its therapy.

Meorizing the periodic table and all the amino acids right now though. Who knows what a study break may bring though....

lostdude said:
The hat will only be used (if at all) once the helmet is completely done. I imagine that the padding will be much better but its still a neat idea.

Yes, I will be fully finishing this helmet. A few of my friends want one so I may make some copies for them seeing as they would never have the patience for this but for me its therapy.

Meorizing the periodic table and all the amino acids right now though. Who knows what a study break may bring though....
yeah its weird how hypnotizing doing pep is...i dont even see flat images any more when i look at the printed paper..it unfolds itself off the page.....i can see its shape before i cut it out lol...

So I was busy yesterday and today

fullfill003.jpg

fullfill004.jpg

fullfill005.jpg

fullfill007.jpg

fullfill008.jpg

As you can see this scale of 28.5 is much better than the previous one which I could barely fit my head in. Now I will have plenty of room for padding and fiberglass..... which is what I'll be doing today! I used the weldwood contact cement which was recommended in the Ultimate pepakura Glue thread. It worked wonders because my piece was much more flexible and had some give to its structure that allowed me to fix any issues without warping something a mile away on the other side. I must say I'm loving the way the pieces came together.

Cheers!

Well I have finished the test fit of the torso. I measured it to be 55cm high using abrant's tuitorial measuring from my ears to where my elbows end at my sides. Here are the results.

firsttorso001.jpg

firsttorso002.jpg

firsttorso003.jpg

Its huge so would anyone mind throwing out some numbers to help rectify this in the next piece which will be the HD set. And are we sure this isn't female spartan armor ;)

The helmet I will be using is resined but in my car, someday I'll get a pic of it.

lostdude said:
Its huge so would anyone mind throwing out some numbers to help rectify this in the next piece which will be the HD set. And are we sure this isn't female spartan armor ;)
alright, well it really depends on whos model youre going to be using and how tall you are. I used FS's newest file, im, 6"6' and i originally scaled it to 42cm, which ended up being a bit too small, so i up'd it to 46cm and now it fits me like a glove. So you might want to try something right around there.

Thanks guys, I'm 6' and 55cm was just... ridiculous. I'm glad I did the test model rather than trying the whole thing. I'm going to work on some other components of the armor before I come back and complete the HD torso. I'll be using 45cm as my height.

So heres another quick update of whats been going on in my world of paper. Most of the right side is done. I must say that there are some very intricate folds which can be very hard to glue. I'm really glad I switched from super glue to contact cement or else I may be missing skin to the bone on my fingers :D

mostright001.jpg

mostright002.jpg

Shin piece 40cm

mostright003.jpg

mostright004.jpg

Forearm 30cm

mostright005.jpg

mostright006.jpg

mostright008.jpg

Bicept 32cm

I felt accomplished seeing as I only have the thigh and boot to finish the right side.... then I realized that means I'll just have to do it all again for the left plus the HD chest and cod.....

C'est le vie. Keep on trooping!

Finally, the torso is done and I hope I never have to fold another one.

HDTorso001.jpg

HDTorso002.jpg

HDTorso003.jpg

Looks a little better than the last one? Maybe ;)

I'm assuming that the piece haphazardly hanging down from the chest piece wasn't meant to be actually attached. Its only held on with tape for the picture and I'll figure out what I'm supposed to do with it later.

time for bed and to get over this cold. See yas!

Looks like you did a very good Pep job here. everything looks even.
but I'm afraid too tell you that you have scaled it tool big. What you needed to do what look how wide it is. put you arms out straight in front of you, the distance across your chest and go from there. You arms don't need to be parallel but for what you have on, it looks like you won't have enough movement. And it also looks a little big compared to the scale of you helmet and the body/build. Now you might be able to still get away with the size/scale. maybe a little modding here and there.
Keep up the good work!

yea the torso is to big and are you going to build the HD shins cause there not very hard but they have a ton more detail then the other ones

Meh, thats the last torso I'm making for a while. Yeah I finally found the HD shins and thighs so I'll be making those next as well as finishing up the left half of the armor.

I'll go ahead and finish this torso to see if I can mod it to work better and replace it down the road. I'm sure someone bigger than me might be interested when that time comes.

I forgot to mention that the last pictures were taken with me wearing the small version of my helmet. The proper scaled version is out in my car. I am able to put my arms out straight after trying it on again and I think its just the scale difference which may be throwing the perspective off. Plus the whole thing looks sort of haphazard since its still just pepped.

So I've been busy :)

fiber1002.jpg

Here are the parts with resin
fiber1003.jpg

fiber1004.jpg

And here is my first attempt at fiber glassing. I used the method of mixing up the resin and dipping my pieces in and applying them. I must say that it has taken a it more time than I thought but the parts that have cured are solid as a rock.

I plan on finding many many air bubbles and having a lot of smoothing and strengthening to do but this is a learning process and I'm ready. I defiantly want an elite worthy product otherwise its not worth my time so I'm doing things all or nothing. It must be the 501st in me :D Any constructive criticism is welcome to make this come out well.

fiber1005.jpg

fiber1006.jpg

Once I have most of it glassed and it cures completely I will go back with a dremel and cut out the protrusions and bad spots and reinforce. Time to clean up and brewskie.

lostdude said:
Speaking of good ideas, has anyone ever had this one?

Helm006.jpg

So the bill of the ball cap will fit perfectly into the bill of the helmet and it keeps everything on one place nicely. Since my helmet is completely finished its not needed as much as I had previously thought but still neat.

Cheers!

I've had to do this many times before. I did it like that for Halo 3 launch and this halloween... I haven't gotten around to padding the inside of my helmet.

quick question:

Do you have to overlap the strips of fiberglass? I did anyway to ensure that it would be a strong piece, however that was a major source of my air bubbles. In retrospect, it seems that not overlapping the pieces and then going back over the seams with a second round of fiberglass would have been better.

Just a thought. I should be finishing up today and then going to a friends house to help with a homebrew project. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers!

Fibreglassing depends on your style. Personally, i never found a problem with air bubbles if I laid my pieces down firmly and squeezed any air bubbles out with a ruler or other implement before it cured - imagine pushing a bubble of air trapped under some wallpaper out of a seam. Granted, that's a messy way to do things but it really does work.

Quick peek at whats been going on.

swhalo001.jpg

swhalo002.jpg

All that I have left is to pep the boots and a new smaller torso. Perhaps an AR as well. Then its resin and fiberglass city. I'm putting everything on hold for the next 3 weeks as finals are approaching but once summer hits I should be able to crank this stuff out pretty quickly.

Oh yeah... that's defiantly a Sean Bradley type mannequin WIP. I haven't decided if I'm going to fill it or what I'm going to do but thats on hold for the time being.

Anyway, cheers!

Double-post due to very low activity.

I'm back home for the summer but alas I've been busy with many other things including yard work, fixing my car, and a week long battle with horrible poison ivy. In short everything is resined now and in the process of being fiberglassed. Pics of that will be here tomorrow most likely unless I can get my car back from paint. :lol:

Speaking of!

prepaint008.jpg

prepaint011.jpg

prepaint014.jpg

This is where I was hit by an F-250 which lost its bumper and tore into my quarterpanel a good ways. You can't even tell anything happened now!

.....except for the primer

prepaint015.jpg

Heres another project I'm working on while I wait for fiberglass to cure.

prepaint021.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and of course

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back