Status
Not open for further replies.

lostdude

Jr Member
So heres a funny picture for everyone.

2009-01-10-05009.jpg

2009-01-10-05022.jpg

MC is a big guy. 86" I gather?

So I enjoy Star Wars costuming with my first costume being a Stealth Trooper TX-3729. I am working on a ROTJ Vader and an ESB Boba Fett.

I found this site, rediscovered Pepakura, and the amazing templates and dove right in. You can see that the result is very cute indeed. I used regular computer paper, a glue stick, and a $#!Tload of time but I have product and it was a lot of fun putting together the puzzle from hell. It was a lot of fun and this helmet was a sort of test run.

After the research of scaling, and awaiting a trip to get card stock and more ink I'm excited to actually start the project sometime.

As far as scaling I know that there are different from armor set to armor set. I will be putting together the HD Mjolnir Mark VI armor set using FlyingSquirrel version. The end product will be Caboose I hope who is my favorite character from my favorite series... or maybe Church... or maybe Sarge.... maybe I'll just make a bunch.

Anywho, heres the math.

lowdefscale.jpg

here is the low def set with the 86 scale factor.
Heigh = 318mm
Width = 278mm
Depth = 414mm

highdefscale.jpg

here is the high def set with this particular piece set at a 0.253260 scale factor.
Heigh = 265
Width = 231
Depth = 342

How curious.

My height being 72" the formula would come out to be about (74/86)*(current scale factor) however with the high def version being a bit smaller I seem to be at an impasse. Would this not imply that the HD version is not full size?

I know there is the cross support piece to measure between the ears in the HD version but I'd like to figure out how to scale this set so it remains proportional. Perhaps I should just wing it and scale each piece and hope it looks right in the end.

Any help would be much appreciated and I'm glad to be able to join the community.

if the HD version is Flying Squirrel's, then you should look him up b/c i'm pretty sure that he has a way that you do it on one of his topics, i dunno which one so there will be some digging to be done

Yeah, I read through the entire scaling thread but it was only for the other set and so I was like meh and already exhausted. I'll keep digging while I find supplies .

I believe squirl has a size tester model for the HD helmet build. Try searching for it, I can't remember what the topic name is :p

Told you it was cute :D my boba fett just slapped right together but this will take some thought.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how well the bondo mud technique works. I may start using that on all my other projects.

Type in the measurements of the Lo Def helm (in mm) into the high def model and then hit it with the 74/86 ratio. That should give you a perfect 74" fit. Actually since you look skinny as hell a 72" fit might work better for you.

I'm 70" tall but the helm that I did was set to 72" and has so much padding in it that I can do a handstand without it coming off.

BFDesigns said:
Type in the measurements of the Lo Def helm (in mm) into the high def model and then hit it with the 74/86 ratio. That should give you a perfect 74" fit. Actually since you look skinny as hell a 72" fit might work better for you.

I'm 70" tall but the helm that I did was set to 72" and has so much padding in it that I can do a handstand without it coming off.

I did the same thing (sort of)...I've been putting Robogenisis' lo-def files together as size testers, Writing down the measurements (height, width & depth) from whichever scale I use (usually 70-72 for me) and adjusting the scale for the HD pieces to match.

BTW...the HD Helm standard size is approximately equivalent to 70 if memory serves...

Hope this helps!

Damien said:
you could do a lord helmet version of master chief

That would be epic!

--Joker

Last edited by a moderator:
PrivateJoker said:
I did the same thing (sort of)...I've been putting Robogenisis' lo-def files together as size testers, Writing down the measurements (height, width & depth) from whichever scale I use (usually 70-72 for me) and adjusting the scale for the HD pieces to match.

BTW...the HD Helm standard size is approximately equivalent to 70 if memory serves...

Hope this helps!
That would be epic!
--Joker

I did it that was coming up with peices that where too small. But I did find this guy and just adjusted from what he shows and everything seems to work out ok. He tells his height and what he used, I just added or subtracted from there.

abrant3's sizing tutorial

DAYWALK3R said:
I did it that was coming up with peices that where too small. But I did find this guy and just adjusted from what he shows and everything seems to work out ok. He tells his height and what he used, I just added or subtracted from there.

abrant3's sizing tutorial

That seems perfect man. Those measurements will most likely work out great for me even without modifications but always double check :D

This HD helmet is taking a while to put together so picks will be up in (eventually)

Another update where I have the lower facemask done.

2009-01-11-79307.jpg

I had an issue with placement of the pieces and reopened the pepakura file to move one piece off of another and reprinted it.

Little did I know that pepakura renumbers the pieces randomly everytime you open it without saving so I had to dig my old pieces out of the trash to see where they matched up with the last set. Not too big of an issue but for of a minor annoyance for that sheet.

Its coming together decently well. The numbers line up well but there is a little bit of warping and strange things going on around the curves which are to be expected with assembly with paper. I expect that the remaining pieces will straighten out the minor warping and it will all be bondoed anyway so I'm not worried.

Cheers friends!

It only does that if you don't pay for the full version. If you pay for the full version it won't do that anymore... the renumbering part that is. I found that out the hard way myself.

Heres some more progress. I used qtips to strengthen the bottom of the brim. Why qtips? That was the closest thing to me at the time.

MC1001.jpg

and those should help hold the bottom firm and correct the minor warping of the top part.

MC1003.jpg

it is scaled to 25cm and hopefully that will work out well. Soon we shall find out.

Cheers!

Helmets done

Helm002.jpg

Helm003.jpg

Helm004.jpg

Helm005.jpg

As you can see, it fits much better than the previous one.... perhaps too much better.

I will definatly have to trim the sides in order to clear my ears when putting the helmet on but that was expected. I'm not sure what I'll move on to next but I am glad the helmet is over.

Looks really good and alot closer to your size...lol. Maybe someone with a motorcycle helmet can use the big one as a cover, turn their helmet into a halo helmet....lol.

Ithica

I have some big tests coming up soon but after those I should be able to get started on some of the other armor components. There is an armor party for my garisson in two weeks and that should give me a place to fiberglass and bondo a few things I've been needing to.

Thank you both for the complements and I'm thinking about turning the big one into a display piece although the helmet cover is a good idea as well :D

Speaking of good ideas, has anyone ever had this one?

Helm006.jpg

So the bill of the ball cap will fit perfectly into the bill of the helmet and it keeps everything on one place nicely. Since my helmet is completely finished its not needed as much as I had previously thought but still neat.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back