M247 Foamboard

Discussion in 'Halo Props' started by Dirtdives, Apr 28, 2016.

1. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

Air/moisture + heat = expansion

I'd stay away from taking a heat gun to it in case the bubbles get larger or you create more of them from pores that aren't visible. It's probably safest to puncture them with a pin and press smooth with a credit card or something similar.

Dirtdives likes this.
  2. Dirtdives

Dirtdives RXO & Keeper of Con Lists 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

That is what I was afraid of.....Either way, I think that I'm going to end up e/ creases in the visor....Thank you for the advise.....

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  3. TheAstroBot

TheAstroBot Member

That's one big toy. It's come together really well, Dirtdives.

Dirtdives likes this.
  4. Dirtdives

Thanks TheAstroBot, I'll post the actual dimensions and weight (after 50/50 and paint), but yes it is very ungainly.....kind of hard to maneuver through doorways if I'm not careful. This is the largest prop I have ever built.

TurboCharizard likes this.
  5. Dirtdives

Wow.....It's been months since I touched this......It actually took some damage while just sitting around doing nothing. The magazine cartridge broke off, the upper barrel tip started to pull off the front, the forward handle had to be reattached, and this past summer due to the heat and weight of the piece, the whole thing developed a downward droop. Not much and nothing you would notice if I keep moving it around but it bothers me and may be an indicator of structural defects that might develop later on. So repair work was done and since I was already in the ballpark, I finished the lower barrel, added so detail pieces and the control cable. I've also been putting craft foam on the exposed parts edges of the foamboard to clean it up. I tried using contact cement but it sometimes ate the foam a bit. I think I'll go w/ some card stock and PVC for the rest. Once all these exposed parts are covered up, it will be time for some 50/50 and painting. Its also my hope that the 50/50 will strengthen the whole thing as well.

IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0346.JPG

6. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Esh-uh- I- whu- if I had known, Dirtdives, that you had this lurking about, I'd have been so much kinder during our epic rap battle!

I'm pretty jealous, that looks fantastic!

7. Dirtdives

No you wouldn't.............I wouldn't want you to be kinder......that would just be patronizing. And you wouldn't be at your best during the rap battle. As for being jealous, don't. this was a huge pain to build. And it still has a long way to go before finishing. But thanks.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  8. Schankerz

Schankerz Well-Known Member

Well * Dirt I didn't know you had one of these lying around, which suit are you gonna use this with? Or were you needing something new to display over the fireplace

9. Dirtdives

No new suit just yet...........I just liked the prop and was in a Foamboard kick at the time and wanted to know if I could build it.

10. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

They make medicine for that :D

Despite the droop it looks pretty good. Might wanna run a dowel, PVC or something down the middle so it stays straight.

11. Dirtdives

Hey, the droop is because of the size and sheer weight........medicine would be counter productive.......:cool:

I'm afraid that a dowel at this point might damage the piece as this was build in sections and then attached together. I would have to drill through each Foamboard section as I was assembling and didn't think that far ahead.

12. Schankerz

13. Dirtdives

Actually it's Oy vey. But good try.

14. Schankerz

15. Kusak3

Kusak3 Member

Looking good Dirtdives. I havent convinced myself to revisit mine. trying to convince myself I want to 3d print the monster. Cant be to much worse than the saw I did for Franky