MA5C Assault Rifle (H3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you making it a hollow shell with support ribs to save on weight?
Rather than attempting to explain, I have done a render of how each section will be printed
MA5C_PrintableSection.jpg
That would be awesome. :D

Even more interested in this thread now. Are you planning on printing it yourself?
Once I finish my Meta suit, I plan on printing it for my later ODST Rookie build

Anyone happen to know what the magazine should look like? I haven't been able to find any reference photos and I don't really feel like shoving this block of cheese in my rifle.
MagOfShame.jpg MagOfShame_2.jpg
If no one has any better ideas I'll just model after the Barrett M107 .50 BMG magazine.
s-l225.jpg

Hiw about a combo between the two? The lower "docking" point to fit with the aesthetic and the upper part that slides in like the bmg mag.

As for the internal structure. I would put in a bit more ribs or thicker walls. (Thick walls with honeycomb pattern?) They look a bit flimsy right now

Rather than attempting to explain, I have done a render of how each section will be printed
View attachment 255062

Once I finish my Meta suit, I plan on printing it for my later ODST Rookie build

Interesting but I see some walls being to thin would be my concern. I have printed two different version of the MA 5C from the FFA thread it is a 2 roll project when you set infill down around 16 Percent. going to need walls that are at least 3mm thick in my opinion to get good strength in the weapon to be able to handle it and not worry when you drop it.

Interesting but I see some walls being to thin would be my concern. I have printed two different version of the MA 5C from the FFA thread it is a 2 roll project when you set infill down around 16 Percent. going to need walls that are at least 3mm thick in my opinion to get good strength in the weapon to be able to handle it and not worry when you drop it.

What did you have as your number of boundaries and top/bottom layers? With a standard nozzle (0.4mm) having 3mm thick walls seems like an odd choice, did you have a different nozzle installed?

Hey from seeing the image of the shell thickness, I would recommend making them at least twice as thick. Good work though!

Hey from seeing the image of the shell thickness, I would recommend making them at least twice as thick. Good work though!
The render I posted was just a 30 second hack-together representation. I haven't begun the printing prep as of yet. However, here's a quick write up on how I intend for this model to be constructed.

The model will be printed in sections, each sliding over 2-3 pieces of pvc tubing. Having dry-fit the assembly, adhere all the sections together leaving the butt separate. Fill both halves with 2 part expanding ridge foam (going this route allows you to use significantly less printing material both cutting cost and print time). Adhere the butt to rest of the assembly.

Personally, I would prefer a fiberglass model so I would go one step further and make a slosh-mold.

The render I posted was just a 30 second hack-together representation. I haven't begun the printing prep as of yet. However, here's a quick write up on how I intend for this model to be constructed.

The model will be printed in sections, each sliding over 2-3 pieces of pvc tubing. Having dry-fit the assembly, adhere all the sections together leaving the butt separate. Fill both halves with 2 part expanding ridge foam (going this route allows you to use significantly less printing material both cutting cost and print time). Adhere the butt to rest of the assembly.

Personally, I would prefer a fiberglass model so I would go one step further and make a slosh-mold.
Sounds rock solid at that point.

What did you have as your number of boundaries and top/bottom layers? With a standard nozzle (0.4mm) having 3mm thick walls seems like an odd choice, did you have a different nozzle installed?
no .4. I havent gone so far as to change either of my printers to a different nozzle. I have also worked on some various helmet models recently that were done by other people and the shell thicknesses have been a major issue for structural strength. I run a min of 4 shells. Part of that is I have found that 4 to 5 shells give me a much better result when I am heat welding pieces together. Also gives me a much more solid frame work if I am adding magnets to things that werent originally designed to receive magnets. at to the odd size 3mm is more of a min thickness that I use when repairing some of these models I have been working with of late.

currently working on some rather delicate pieces that need magnets and I am running 6 shells on those pieces and nearly 35 percent infill to keep them rigid.

Here's another update. Did some remodeling for the last time (its always the last time) added some more details. Now sitting at 92,674 polys! Will we hit 100,000? Probably. 200,000? Maybe..
20 internet points to the person who notices all the differences :D
MA5C_1.jpg
MA5C_2.jpg

For those of you wondering what nearly 100,000 polys looks like, here you are.
MA5C_3.jpg

Last edited:
104,054 polygons!
Detail work is just about done from the screen forward, just have to add the barrel releases on the sides.
Let me know if you think I'm forgetting something else on the front end! :D

MA5C.jpg

Oh my dear sweet lord, look at all of those gorgeous detail lines! Looks absolutely brilliant

-Matt

Great work man! I've been going over the MA5C constantly for the last couple of weeks and I don't see anything missing.

You might want to look at M1A/M14 20-30rnd magazines. Those are in 7.62x51mm NATO/.308. That's the bullet all the Halo ARs use. .50 BMG should work fine though.

As the title would suggest I'm currently making a model with the highest poly count possible. I'm using the in game model for reference. Please send me any and all applicable reference material, I'm only able to do so much with what I have.
Here's my progress so far, the top is the in-game model
(I plan on uploading two models, one that'll do everything but fire and another more "traditional")View attachment 252063 View attachment 252064

Hey bro is this Mac5 for sale?

I hadn't really planned on selling them but I'll be printing one off anyway so why not? I can't make any promises on the turn around time though, I'm still printing my helmet.

I hadn't really planned on selling them but I'll be printing one off anyway so why not? I can't make any promises on the turn around time though, I'm still printing my helmet.
Would you be willing to post the measurements of the 3d model that will be printed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back