Making my own set of armor, any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONE OF HAM

Im working on making a set of armor to imitate the color scheme and armor pattern of my multiplayer character in reach, I have never done anything like this before so if you experienced guys on the site have any advice you would like to give me, I would really appreciate it.

I already have my recon helmet done and have used a polyethylene paste as an exterior hardener and to build up a slight layer so I can sand it down to a smooth surface and not have so many sharp lines from the Pepakura printout.
imgp0456g.jpg

imgp0457.jpg

imgp0458m.jpg

I have not fiberglassed/resined yet as I dont know how to do that, but after I fiberglass I plan on Using an expanding foam to fill up the inside and then I will carve out a nook the size of my head, is that a good idea? Also, what do I use for a visor, A coca-cola bottle or something, and how do I paint it?

I have also printed out a Recon shoulder and an ODST shoulder, one question with these, do I need A bicep Piece to attach these to?

Sorry for all the newb questions, I just want to make sure I do this right the first time so I don't have to do the same build all over again.

Expanding foam from what I know working with it, is not a good idea. It tends to expaned in every direction, no just in the path of least resistance. A better alterantive would be EVA floor mats or even cushioning from an old chair or something.

Most people use motorcycle visor and them cut them to fit the visor hole. Tutorial here

Yes you will need a Bicep piece in order to attach the shoulder. Also, it makes the suit look a lot better. Happy building!

Expanding foam is a bad idea if you want to wear it.

If ease of application is your concern, I suggest rondo. It is fairly simple to make, and doesn't require much thinking, just some good speed and accuracy since you left the visor hole open. I mixed my rondo a bit cold and painted it on the inside to get good coverage, but you can also just mix it hot, pour it in and slosh it around for a few minutes.

I think rondo would be a lot stronger than foam, especially at the thicknesses you'd be cutting the foam to.

Expanding foam is a bad idea if you want to wear it.

If ease of application is your concern, I suggest rondo. It is fairly simple to make, and doesn't require much thinking, just some good speed and accuracy since you left the visor hole open. I mixed my rondo a bit cold and painted it on the inside to get good coverage, but you can also just mix it hot, pour it in and slosh it around for a few minutes.

I think rondo would be a lot stronger than foam, especially at the thicknesses you'd be cutting the foam to.

thanks man, I've been thinking about it, but didn't know if it would work ok. I'm running to Home Depot tomorrow for the fiberglass and resign, Do you think I could pick it up there?

thanks man, I've been thinking about it, but didn't know if it would work ok. I'm running to Home Depot tomorrow for the fiberglass and resign, Do you think I could pick it up there?

I never seen Home Depot carry these stuff. Try buy it online. Just curious you are not related to King Ham, right?

I never seen Home Depot carry these stuff. Try buy it online. Just curious you are not related to King Ham, right?
No, Im not. ONE OF HAM has been my Xbox Live gamertag since christmas 2006.

Also, could you link me to a website selling the stuff, I can't seem to find one.

looking good. you can find eva foam mats, bondo, resin and fibreglass, pretty much anything you need at walmart

You need a good Fiberglass Resin, AND something like Bondo Body Filler. Automotive stores will usually carry the latter, and sometimes carry the former. If you live in California there is an awesome store called TAP Plastics, that carries everything. But your best bet is to find a Kragen's or AutoZone, and they'll be able to tell you of a store to buy it.

Here are amazon links though!
(NOTE! You also need the hardener for the resin, this amazon link shows the hardener as a popular bundle option, but I include the link to the hardener too)
Resin
Hardener

Bondo

That bondo can is pretty small, it may not last you long but I don't know your budget. I bought the gigantic tub for like 40$

Well, Its been pretty slow going between school and other, extra curricular activities, that involve something called a sherlock and my backyard shed (if you dont know what I'm talking about by know, I'm not explaining it for you). For those of that care, I have a few pictures of how my build is coming along, and for those of you that don't, pretend you do.

screenshot20120127at440.png

This is what my build is supposed to look like when its done, Exactly like my multiplayer dude from Halo Reach, without the helmet stuff though, becuase I don't think theres a pepakura printout for it, and I don't really wan't it either.

imgp0483n.jpg

I have the helmet, both shoulders and a right bicep completed so far and have printed everything else out because my trial period of Parallels Desktop is about to run out.

imgp0484r.jpg

The right bicep

imgp0487y.jpg

The UA/Security shoulder was a lot more complicated putting together then I expected.

imgp0488l.jpg

My ODST shoulder is a little small, so if someone could resize one for me I would appreciate it, as I don't have the full version of Pepakura and can't do it myself.

imgp0485a.jpg

You guys saw the helmet last time, but since then I have fiberglassed AND rondo'ed it. It may seem a little unnecessary, but Its like 3 time stronger than it was with only fiberglass. I also took the picture upside down because its not completely set yet and I don't wan't it dripping all over my table, it probably wont as its almost cured, but you can never be too careful.

imgp0486.jpg

Inside the helmet.

Well, that does it for me so far, everything in my opinion is going pretty great, and in hindsight, I should have put the hardener in the rondo, it took FOREVER to get it to cure.

Your build looks like its coming along nicely. You can download Pep designer for free and use all of the features, including scaling, you just can't save or export.

Did you put any hardener in the rondo? It doesn't even look pink. Bondo's hardener will always turn it a shade of pink. Definitely use both hardeners though.

I never seen Home Depot carry these stuff.

Actually, Home Depot does carry Bondo, resin and cloth. Its all on the same shelf, but the resin is in a different color can. It's the same shape, but its a plain light gray color and just says "fiberglass resin". Its down the same isle as the spray paint, or at least it is at my home depot.

woooow dude nice pep work just remember to just take your time and do your best on it and when your done you can say i did my best on it and thats all i cud of done keep up the awesome work

Looking good so far. And you can always look for auto stores if there are any near you (kragen, autozone, o'reilley's, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back