Man builds homemade AK-47

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Awesome

Jr Member
No, you didn't read the title wrong or you didn't misunderstand it - a man has actually built a working Kalashnikov. And what makes this even more incredible, is that he built it out of a shovel.
The things he used to build it were an old shovel, parts from an actual Kalash and M16, a barrel blank and vodka (I think vodka is the most important thing in this build). Here's a link to blog of his:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning

So, what do you guys think? Is he mad or a genius? I find him incredibly creative - but then again, I am interested in firearms and I appreciate creativity.

Hello .
I dont really like the idea of building homemade weapons...
it may cause unpredictable problems ... many people have access to this forum - also kids... thats why im worrying ..
and i dont think this belongs to 405th .. We are prop fakers not gun makers ....

spes 256 ( i dont doubt his crafting skills but guns are guns and they are meant to kill)

end of discussion please. gun discussions are not something that should be pulled into this forum. thank you.

He seemed to have left out enough so people wouldn't be able to do the same. That gun needs way more parts then he showed.

Still, this shows what people actually can acomplish on their own in their garage.

It's really interesting how people can create stuff like that, but I can see how something like this can make a forum/thread go ugly real fast.

Dracosfire83, do you know if that's still true for full auto items and other things that require a Class III permit? That's tricky business. My brother's a gunsmith but he won't touch anything fully automatic. Never got it out of him whether it was a personal choice or not.

Actually, according to the ATF, FBI, and the other three letter federal organizations. Building a working firearm or suppressor for personal or profittable use is ILLEGAL without being properly licensed. I've been around the three letter organizations along with a lot of local and federal LE within the US.

It's cool that he built it. Nice that he left enough out so that anyone making it will not be able to make a working product. Yet, this forum seems to be more about seeing what people are capable of doing at home, with basic tools, and a little guidance to build something they think is interesting. To say this doesn't belong would mean you should remove all threads related to building functional movie props. Such as the M6 series pistol with a moveable slide. That's my stance and if it worries you then don't share it with your children. Mine however will be fully capable of safely handling firearms when they show they are old enough to. But I'll leave my stance on that for another day.

Actually, according to the ATF, FBI, and the other three letter federal organizations. Building a working firearm or suppressor for personal or profittable use is ILLEGAL without being properly licensed. I've been around the three letter organizations along with a lot of local and federal LE within the US.

It's cool that he built it. Nice that he left enough out so that anyone making it will not be able to make a working product. Yet, this forum seems to be more about seeing what people are capable of doing at home, with basic tools, and a little guidance to build something they think is interesting. To say this doesn't belong would mean you should remove all threads related to building functional movie props. Such as the M6 series pistol with a moveable slide. That's my stance and if it worries you then don't share it with your children. Mine however will be fully capable of safely handling firearms when they show they are old enough to. But I'll leave my stance on that for another day.

You can actually legally build it, if:

1) Your state allows it.
2) You build the firearm for yourself, and do not sell it or distribute it. So yes, no serials.
3) It's not a SBR, Full auto, etc.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html

"Q: Is it legal to assemble a firearm from commercially available parts kits that can be purchased via internet or shotgun news?

For your information, per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution."

There's a whole bunch of other red tape, but the bottom line is that it's legal, as long as you abide by the laws.

I can understand people's concerns but this guy had to have some specialized equipment to build this, even if the reciever case is a shovel. But come on, you guys have to admit that this is pretty b-@ss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back