Mark VI armour my first true build

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorgod

hey im new and i want to use pep to make a modling model for a mc suit to use in aint ball what is the best material to use as my final product im thinking renforced metal

hey im new and i want to use ep to make a modling modle for a mc suit to use in aint ball what is the best material to use as my final product im thinking renforced metal

1. Welcome to the forums.
  2. Make sure to at least try to spell properly, otherwise what you're writing is really hard to read and understand.
  3. Read this and everything linked in it: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30542-NOOB-reading-list
  4. Do some more reading on your own
  5. You will, among other things, learn that:
    1. Costumes and paintball don't go so well together; the costume either gets damaged and/or you get hurt and/or you will lose because the costume impairs your senses and movement. Most likely all three at once.
    2. Metal is really hard to use.
    3. I don't see how metal and making a mould from Pepakura fit together.
    4. You probably have no idea what this is going to cost, even if you don't use metal.
  6. Bottom line: Don't do it, and if you do, don't do it for paintball.

First, welcome!
Second, This is what I thought when I read your post, "Hmm...someone who wants to spend countless hours making a MC COSTUME only to shoot it up with paint? I fail to see the logic here."

Third, so far, my "suit" has cost me over $200 and I only have 4 pieces pepped. This includes various pieces that didn't fit after being near finished. It's not worth this amount of time and money just to destroy it. Besides, I'd hate to read the post game post, "Well, I got hit, the armor held, but one piece chipped off and hit me in the (anywhere), and I had to go to the hospital to get (fiberglass, paint, wood, rubber, epoxy, glue) removed from (said area)." I would be very sad at this point.

hey im new and i want to use ep to make a modling modle for a mc suit to use in aint ball what is the best material to use as my final product im thinking renforced metal

1/2" eva foam mats is the best, and only thing to use for this. As for the mask/helmet you need to just use a paintball mask. If you really want a mc looking helmet, then you can just build around the paintball mask with the 1/2" foam. But, make sure you keep the paintball lens in the paintball mask. Do not try to use it on the outside of your mc helmet. Keep your eyes safe, use a paintball mask.

My friend has the exact same idea. He wants me, or someone to pep him a full Mark VI suit so he can then use it for measurements to weld a metal suit. I told him it would never work, at least not the way he wants it to but he keeps telling me" My plans work, and I know what I'm doing." I keep telling him the only way to build one safe for paintball is to use foam but does he care, no.

My friend has the exact same idea. He wants me, or someone to pep him a full Mark VI suit so he can then use it for measurements to weld a metal suit. I told him it would never work, at least not the way he wants it to but he keeps telling me" My plans work, and I know what I'm doing." I keep telling him the only way to build one safe for paintball is to use foam but does he care, no.

In some of our paintball games we have players who role play as hunters. They dress up in baseball/football pads to take the hits. They have a hard time moving around in some of the things they come up with. A MC suit I think would be hard to move around in. May be an ODST suit.

This is why you dont make suits for paint ball

I did not make this video

Armor is not as practical as the game makes it. Overall, this is just a bad idea.

Make armor as a prop not protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
well thanks guys sorry about the misspelling and i think i know how to do it the right and safe way by taking tin or sheet metal and modeling it to the inside of my pep and taking it from there

good luck and I agree with Smiggly keep us posted on how this turns out, but on a side note, if you can actually make this you will be lugging around alot of weight and with the forearms and other arms shooting the Paintball gun may be a bit awkward and the suits are not as mobile as wearing paintball gear hope it works out for you

Not to discourage you but peps are sometimes really complex and even with a simple one cutting out all those pieces of sheet metal to fit the inside would be close to impossible. For a full suit you would be looking at cutting anywhere from 1000 to 5000 small pieces of sheet metal, and then soldering all of them together. This would take an extreme level of craftsmanship and wouldn't look very well and if you did make it look good with resin and bondo then that would probably crack when hit by a shot. Also I am unsure if the metal would even hold, you would surely get some major dents in your armor or have peices be falling out unless you put like 100 pounds of solder in it, which brings me to my next point, the suit would be extremely heavy. This would make you play badly, Most suits on here are fairly heavy and running around in one for a while is tough, add metal too it and you are going to find it hard to walk after 10 minutes of running. I hope that doesn't sound mean I am just trying to say that these suits are costumes and aren't meant for paintball and airsoft, if you were going to make one though I'd have to say make it out of thick EVA foam and I wouldn't spend too much time on it if you will be playing in it, last thing you want is your prized suit getting destroyed in a few matches.
Again sorry if that sounds mean I just don't want to see someone make an awesome suit and not be able to use it or have it be broken. However you tackle this though, I wish you the best of luck. :)

Not to discourage you but peps are sometimes really complex and even with a simple one cutting out all those pieces of sheet metal to fit the inside would be close to impossible. For a full suit you would be looking at cutting anywhere from 1000 to 5000 small pieces of sheet metal, and then soldering all of them together. This would take an extreme level of craftsmanship and wouldn't look very well and if you did make it look good with resin and bondo then that would probably crack when hit by a shot. Also I am unsure if the metal would even hold, you would surely get some major dents in your armor or have peices be falling out unless you put like 100 pounds of solder in it, which brings me to my next point, the suit would be extremely heavy. This would make you play badly, Most suits on here are fairly heavy and running around in one for a while is tough, add metal too it and you are going to find it hard to walk after 10 minutes of running. I hope that doesn't sound mean I am just trying to say that these suits are costumes and aren't meant for paintball and airsoft, if you were going to make one though I'd have to say make it out of thick EVA foam and I wouldn't spend too much time on it if you will be playing in it, last thing you want is your prized suit getting destroyed in a few matches.
Again sorry if that sounds mean I just don't want to see someone make an awesome suit and not be able to use it or have it be broken. However you tackle this though, I wish you the best of luck. :)

Thanks and i understand what you are saying and i will keep you all posted. Because if this works right then we could finally have real human vs. covenat matches :)

As I do re-call, Nightmare Armor Studios had paintball proof armor in this video.

Now that being said, I do agree with the other members here as they have stated armor props for the purpose of safety gear in sports such as airsoft and paintball is not the best idea. Realistically speaking, it's just for show, nothing more. I'm not trying to discourage you but at the same time, realistically it would not serve any "true" combat purpose and with using metal is impractical. Metal is hard to work with especially when trying to use with Pepakura models which have over 100 parts an armor piece on average that are about an inch big with each component to the model. In my honest opinion, save the armor for costuming purposes and stick with a paintball mask, but that's just my view. However, I do wish you luck on this project and may you succeed in your goals and endeavors.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
well i started this thread a while back but here it is summer and i haven`t gotten anywhere because im really researching and watching different things like scaling and pep for now and im out of state so i cant start till the end of july any ways but i really want to a hand cover for practice is that a good idea let me know guys thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately, due to how old this thread is without any meaningful work to show, this is considered necro-posting (bringing a dead thread back). I'd suggest actually starting some work and documenting it with some photos to share instead of just posting an update only stating your plans.

Though, to be honest, I doubt anyone thought this thread would take off in the first place. Costuming noobs who have grandiose plans tend not to accomplish anything. I don't mean to offend, but it's just the trend I've noticed. I would like to be proven wrong, but that has yet to happen.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents to this. I worked in sheet metal fab for a few years, I'm not expert by any means but I wouldn't recommend anyone who doesn't really understand what they're doing trying to make any kind of impact resistant armour from sheet metal. Welding sheets together that haven't been properly formed or rolled can cause the sheet to be under tension, if a weld breaks the result won't be pretty. Also the way Halo armour is styled there is lots of edges at the ends of each part that is a cut hazard.
I honestly can't stress enough how sharp the raw edge of sheet metal is and having it potentially under load and next to my skin would really be a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back