Mark VI high-def foam armor WIP

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Gamemaster, Jan 10, 2011.

1. ventrue

ventrue Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be more convenient to place the drier on the right side of the washing machine, so that the door isn't in the way when putting the wet stuff in there? :-D

2. Toacrabman

Toacrabman Well-Known Member

Theres a spartan VI doing laundry, and you notice that....

anyway, where would I get an undersuit like that?

3. LongShot X

LongShot X

The undersuit is a nylon track suit that we found at a local thrift store. If I recall, it was 10 bucks.

:)

4. Gamemaster

Gamemaster Member

9 bucks, including platform shoes :)

The nylon is only good because it is breathable, it is baggy and does nothing for moisture. It only looks good in some of the pictures, if you have the cash to spend I would personally go with summerwear underarmor, tightfitting and black, like what a football player would wear, or go with a black Morphsuit (like the greenmen, only black)
    I found some of these items on Amazon and posted the links on my squidoo pages, this lens has some undersuit options on it: www.squidoo.com/halo-armor-challenge
    As for me, I've been raiding the local thrift stores on pirate treasure hunts, looking for tight fitting black sportwear (like underarmor) and other goodies to go with this armor... I will post some pics when I have done a few mods, see how it looks.

5. Gamemaster

Gamemaster Member

Ahoy me matey's! Dave the pirate has finished looting all 3 thrift stores in the area and for under $10 he found:
    -Tight black biker shorts (breathable and stretchy)
    -Black coolmax t-shirt (short sleeve, breathable and wisks away moisture)
    -A duo-dry longsleeve T, only the sleeves were black so I cut em off and attached them to the black T.
    -Long sleeve black "morph" gloves (ultra breathable and stretchy)
    -kids size black backcatcher chest shield (fits perfect for a spine protector)
    -kids size black backcatcher kneepads (with the padding torn out they made awesome elbow armor)
    -a padded hockey neckseal (padding to be removed and soft black fabric added)
    -a square yard of soft black fabric for under sports pads
    -about 8 feet of velcro
    -sewing supplies
    -nylon/spandex capri's and black knee tights (I might look for something better)

Here are some progress pics of the undersuit modifications for the spartan Intimidator. I've also been adding to the armor parts for extra detail. So far I have the abdomen and lower back done and the right arm finished. Left arm is cut out and awaiting assembly.
    Picture68-1.jpg
    Picture57.jpg
    Picture67-1.jpg
    Picture70.jpg
    Picture61.jpg
    I will be finishing the left arm and the neck seal next, and also on the list:
    -Add inner thigh armor
    -Upgrade the helmet lights to 4x superbright LEDs
    -Make foam boot expanders
    -Add a foam sole and tread to the boots
    -Add some custom details

Attached Files:

6. thorn696

thorn696

I still can't get over how sweet you've made this build in foam!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how the under-suit and boots comes out.

7. LongShot X

LongShot X

Very sweet indeed, Gamemaster!

I think we need to get you over to my studio/workshop for some nice UBER shots.

8. Gamemaster

Gamemaster Member

After some undersuit and underarmor mods we did a photoshoot in Longshot-X's Workshop. Here are some pictures so far
    Img00023667.jpg
    Img00023675.jpg
    Img00023693.jpg
    Img00023759.jpg
    Img00023789.jpg
    And some with the flash off (better color)
    Img00023730.jpg
    Img00023704.jpg
    Img00023722.jpg
    I still have some tweaking before I am video ready... more to follow soon.

Attached Files:

9. thorn696

thorn696

Wow..just wow. the pic's came out great. Now I do have a question for you tho. On you're ankle, is the a foam spacer? I was wondering about how I was going to work out my placement on shines. As for Vid oh ya bring it on.

10. Gamemaster

Gamemaster Member

Yes, that is a piece of foam, shaped with the heatgun and mounted to the bottom of the shins. It still needs detailing and the boots will have an "ankle sleeve" that tucks under the spacer.

11. Gamemaster

Gamemaster Member

After our initial test fitting and photoshoot I've added velcro in key areas to keep everything snug. I've added ankle covers to the boots and made a breathable balaclava to replace the neckseal.
    Picture81.jpg Picture82.jpg Picture83.jpg
    I made it from the leftover shirt and used the sleeves for the undersuit shirt Picture85.jpg
    I also removed the straps from the backcatcher guard and added them to the pants Picture84.jpg
    My sewing skills are crude but effective, similar to my shotgun tactics.
    The front of the torso tucks into the cod and slides up and down for sitting down or reaching up Picture97.jpg Picture104.jpg Picture108.jpg
    The back of the torso has the spine protector permanently mounted and a swivel with velcro to keep the assplate in place while moving. The swivel is a permanently mounted 1" hard plastic peg with a plastic washer that can freely spin and has a layered foam strip attached to the washer with a large square velcro pad on the end. Picture102.jpg Picture103.jpg Picture105.jpg Picture107.jpg
    I added kneepads to keep the thighs up and to "bulk out" my legs
    Picture86.jpg Picture89.jpg Picture88.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED...

Attached Files:

12. Gamemaster

Gamemaster Member

...Continued from previous post

I added velcro to the elbow pad to keep it tucked into the forearm while flexing or reaching cross body Picture91.jpg Picture92.jpg Picture93.jpg
    I added velcro to the forearm so it stays positioned on the wrist properly and does not spin. I also added velcro to the wrist padding to mount the handplate.
    Picture94.jpg Picture95.jpg Picture96.jpg
    For the boots I started by removing the toecap and raising the inner boots up as high as the outer shell would allow. I added layers of soft foam to build up the heel - very nice to walk on. I also covered the toe of the boot in black fabric.
    Picture71.jpg Picture74.jpg
    Next I cut out a shape for the sole and added the toecaps to them.
    Picture77.jpg Picture75.jpg Picture76.jpg
    Then I attached the sole to the main boot and left the toecap free - the fabric covered boot slides nicely under the toecap when I walk or kneel.
    Picture78.jpg
    If Master Chief had flip-flops, they might look like this...
    Picture79.jpg
    Size 15! Too big for me :)
    Picture80.jpg

Today I dressed up and went for a walk in the afternoon heat... the undersuit is very breathable, everything stays in place, time for an HD vid with Longshot-X's new cam...

Attached Files:

13. LongShot X

LongShot X

Well then... I await your call! hehehehe

14. thorn696

thorn696

Wow this build post is allot like the last fireworks I went to....there's allot of ooh's and aah's in it.

Awesome work, And great write up on how you went about you're modification of the different parts.

15. Gamemaster

Gamemaster Member

Thanks! I've been busy making more modifications, it is about 95% complete, everything I do now will be upgrades. Here is a pic of my undersuit and armor, side by side.
    Halo-armor-undersuit.jpg
    I changed the abdomen area, it is now more open. I added details to the boot spacers. I added padding, a fan switch and upgraded the lights in the helm (9 LED flashlight on each side). I added a searchlight to the left forearm. I added a sweat band to the balaclava.
    I also made a tacpad addon that holds my cell phone.
    Picture182.jpg
    It has room to hook up the earbud and the buttons are functional.
    Things on the upgrade list:
    Tactical hardcase addon (functional)
    Hazop helmet addon (with searchlight, webcam and mini-megaphone)
    Add rubber treads to the boots
    Add a compartment in the chest to hold a laptop (to run the speakers and webcam)
    Add an impact blinker system to the torso (I have the components)
    Add my "transformers" voice modulator looted from an optimus prime mask to the helmet
    Add my "transformers" robot punch sound looted from a bumblebee toy to a handplate.
    Add light panels (so far I have kept it simple and able to get wet)
    Add the t-bag blinkers to the cod (I have the components)
    Biofoam chest addon (functional, to hold my hot jala)
    Breacher addons (once I get some more shotty shells)
    Tactical fanny pack addon (functional)
    Anything else I think of along the way

Needless to say I will have some more updates in the future.

Attached Files:

16. LCBeagle

LCBeagle Jr Member

What is that blue thing stuck to the shoulder vent thing?

17. LongShot X

LongShot X

I figured that it would be more appropriate to post this in Gamemasters thread as all the photo's are of his suit.

A photo shoot with Spartan Intimidator
    Celebrating Thanksgiving​

dsc_0113.jpg

Giving Thanks to this wonderful planet we live on.
    dsc_0025.jpg

dsc_0028.jpg

dsc_0029.jpg

Giving thanks to the awesome photographer
    dsc_0039.jpg

dsc_0046.jpg

Giving thanks to ALL life on this planet!
    dsc_0058.jpg

All of the that hard work of giving thanks, makes Intimidator HUNGRY!
    dsc_0069.jpg

Figuring out how to use the napkin
    dsc_0073.jpg

It's kinda small.
    dsc_0074.jpg

It will just have to do.
    dsc_0078.jpg

What? Is this all I get?
    dsc_0085.jpg

This is more like it!
    dsc_0086.jpg

And this. And some of this. And more of this!
    dsc_0089.jpg

Uh OH. Looks like too much turkey got to him.
    All full and stuffed just like a turkey.
    dsc_0103.jpg

Have a safe and happy Thanks Giving!​

dsc_0113.jpg

dsc_0025.jpg

dsc_0028.jpg

dsc_0029.jpg

dsc_0039.jpg

dsc_0046.jpg

dsc_0058.jpg

dsc_0069.jpg

dsc_0073.jpg

dsc_0074.jpg

dsc_0078.jpg

dsc_0085.jpg

dsc_0086.jpg

dsc_0089.jpg

dsc_0103.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  18. Gamemaster

Gamemaster Member

Wow, you took some really uber pics. Thanks for sharing!
    The boot modifications are nearly done, I only need to add the rubber sole now and I have the treads for it. Here is a picture:
    masterchiefboots.jpg
    They add quite a lift while still looking proportionate, with the helmet on I stand an impressive 6'8".
    int01.jpg
    Happy Thanksgivving to all!

Attached Files:

19. thorn696

thorn696

Nice pic's, they add life to the build, and thanks for sharing you're holiday with us.

20. evanmcorleytv

evanmcorleytv Member

Looks AMAZING!! Glad to see it done!!

21. Gamemaster

Gamemaster Member

Thanks for the kudos! Since the last update I've changed the elbow area of the undersuit as I was not happy with the overall look of the plastic elbowcops. I plan on changing the knees as well. I also did some sanding, slight re-shaping in key areas and painted on more silver and gloss black in the black space areas. Here are some photos with the new upgrades and a couple with Spartan Longshot too.
    Img00024507.jpg
    Img00024510.jpg
    Img00024516.jpg
    The spirit of HALOween...
    Img00024521.jpg
    Img00024529.jpg
    5 second pose
    Img00024534.jpg

And to answer a previous question that I missed... the little blue thing that rides with me is a Super Oddie super_oddie.jpg also made with foam. For more on that try these links:
    www.squidoo.com/oddie-moshling
    www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-moshi-monsters

Attached Files:

22. tankball

tankball Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me why this is in the Noob forums? This guy is no noob

23. thorn696

thorn696

Looking sweet. You're photo shoots just Amaze me.

24. evanmcorleytv

evanmcorleytv Member

Looks AMAZING guys, and yeah, I can'y see why this is in the noob forums..

25. Gamemaster

Gamemaster Member

I am so. At least, when the armor was started I was a noob, and it still looks a little noobish to me, I could do better.

Thanks! We are often amazed too, need a napkin? Photo shoots are great as you get to look at your armor from various angles while wearing it and see what needs to be tweaked. Next tweak for this armor -> more silver on the shins, boots and helm.