Masterchief H4 Gen2 Markvi - Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who do pep always amaze me with their patience and ability to create crisp armour pieces. Looks awesome so far!

I love seeing progress on your build. I love this armor so much and always secretly dreamed of doing before going for Palmer.

Only thing I'd keep in mind are the shoes tho. The small sections especially the first one sits much lower on his shoe.

1662208445885.png

I love seeing progress on your build. I love this armor so much and always secretly dreamed of doing before going for Palmer.

Only thing I'd keep in mind are the shoes tho. The small sections especially the first one sits much lower on his shoe.

View attachment 322825

Thank you!
Ive enjoyed posting updates so far. The pep part has been a bit boring content wise - but we are getting to the more interesting stuff soon!

Oh good call out. I definitely didn’t love where they were sitting. Will definitely be pulling texture files and references close up before I connect anything!

Looks fine to me as is.
Once your thighs are on its probably gonna look in scale with everything else.
Gonna be hard to judge with just the torso in place.
Looking great so far!

Ye
Looks fine to me as is.
Once your thighs are on its probably gonna look in scale with everything else.
Gonna be hard to judge with just the torso in place.
Looking great so far!
ah I need to either buy a new mannequin or make my own for this thing. The only pro Al me I am having is that every female mannequin that’s isn’t 200$ is like popping their hip out with their hand on their hip for some reason and that isn’t ideal to hold armor lol.

No problem!
Thank you!
Ive enjoyed posting updates so far. The pep part has been a bit boring content wise - but we are getting to the more interesting stuff soon!

Oh good call out. I definitely didn’t love where they were sitting. Will definitely be pulling texture files and references close up before I connect anything!
No problem at all! You're using MasterBuilder's godly files which I love haha. Some pieces are left unconnected in the pepakura for better assembly while building and just to connect them later on.

Question. Poll?

Do we hate the fupa Fanny pack?

View attachment 322854

I have two options

1. Leave it bulky and use it as a Fanny purse for my wallet and money (functional. Yet bulky)

2. Slim it down and scale it down to jut out less and be less obvious

Thoughts?

View attachment 322855View attachment 322853

Depends. Depends on how you want to go with it. Weidly enough that abdomen armor looks massive either on the photo or lack of arms.
Depends if you want to keep it practical or go for looks and aesthetics.
Personally I'd suggest against putting things that add weight to it on the abdomen - it may cause it to weigh down whole section.
If you want to store wallet and phone somewhere perhaps in the thighs? The outer part of the top thighs goes quite bit to the outside so you could use that space to store a wallet or phone in them. And since you'll have straps there too it won't affect anything with additional little weight.
Tbh when I was doing Palmer build few years ago that was my biggest problem as well. Where to store wallet and phone. I wanted to store it in the thighs but I insisted on putting magnets onto the thighs to hold pistols (kinda regret this decision a little as it wasn't too practical) so since cards are magnetic and phone too, the magnets could damage them and I didn't want to risk it.

1662307354732.png

No problem!

No problem at all! You're using MasterBuilder's godly files which I love haha. Some pieces are left unconnected in the pepakura for better assembly while building and just to connect them later on.

Depends. Depends on how you want to go with it. Weidly enough that abdomen armor looks massive either on the photo or lack of arms.
Depends if you want to keep it practical or go for looks and aesthetics.
Personally I'd suggest against putting things that add weight to it on the abdomen - it may cause it to weigh down whole section.
If you want to store wallet and phone somewhere perhaps in the thighs? The outer part of the top thighs goes quite bit to the outside so you could use that space to store a wallet or phone in them. And since you'll have straps there too it won't affect anything with additional little weight.
Tbh when I was doing Palmer build few years ago that was my biggest problem as well. Where to store wallet and phone. I wanted to store it in the thighs but I insisted on putting magnets onto the thighs to hold pistols (kinda regret this decision a little as it wasn't too practical) so since cards are magnetic and phone too, the magnets could damage them and I didn't want to risk it.
Yeah I def think it just looks off. And I think part of it is the scale like you called out. It just feels massive compared to everything else. All the pieces on the front were housed in the same file, so they should had been the same size, but to be honest I modified that chest piece a lot to make it fit right. I’m thinking I’m going to try to scale it down major or just redo it and shrink it

Both bracers have been completed!
That is the last of the pep for the body armor until I start rescaling pieces

continuing the resin and bondo for the thighs, chest, and bracers this week. Will post updates on the process I am following. Maybe some of ya all pros have some suggestions on best practices image.jpg

I'm kinda jealous of your wall full of printed references. It looks so cool.

Yeah. After finishing pepping it gets bit slower with hardening the pieces with resin. Pretty much just waiting time between layers.
I'm no professional but I was just coating the pieces with resin 1-3 times before reinforcing pieces with fiberglass from the inside. Basically those 1-3 coats of resin was just to soak up the paper and make it sturdy enough so it won't warp when doing the fiberglass part.
I did some mistakes back when I was doing the armor - one of them was rushing and another was adding too much resin/rondo (resin+bondo mix) when coating the fiberglass and some of parts turned out unnecessary thick = heavy.
One thing I can recommend however - after you finishing soaking it with resin and fiberglassing on the inside then I'd sand the whole surface before starting to apply bondo on the outside parts.

Made a butt. That is all.

More deets- I learned that I SUCK at making butts out of sulfur free clay. This butt took 3 hours. it’s not terrible. I will rework it a bit tomorrow. Next step is to mold the butt to silicon to make to make it a seamless butt piece that I can fill with upholstery foam and sit on comfortably. Also looking to fashion the spine out of the same thing. God help me to have to mold that spine out of clay though

D41CDD8D-C4AB-4D9A-BEFB-3B3ECA959111.jpeg

If you want to make a silicon mold anyway then you could perhaps use pepakura as a master?

Here are some references of the buttpiece - it's H5 version but they are pretty much the same. (ugh I love when they design stuff in the game and you see models clipping into the body model - wish we could do that irl too lol)
Perhaps they'll be of use to you.
It seems the buttpiece is 3 parts - the upper part of the armor and the bigger bottom one and they are connected by this smaller panel with circles underneath. Depends how much you want to do but could even make it 3 piece similar to here and then it could be even more vlexible when moving.

1662556066344.png

If you want to make a silicon mold anyway then you could perhaps use pepakura as a master?

Here are some references of the buttpiece - it's H5 version but they are pretty much the same. (ugh I love when they design stuff in the game and you see models clipping into the body model - wish we could do that irl too lol)
Perhaps they'll be of use to you.
It seems the buttpiece is 3 parts - the upper part of the armor and the bigger bottom one and they are connected by this smaller panel with circles underneath. Depends how much you want to do but could even make it 3 piece similar to here and then it could be even more vlexible when moving.

View attachment 322995
Can I use the pep as a master? I looked for tutorials on it, and nothing really suggested that it would work. For some reason I just assumed the master would disintegrate during the process

well well well. The reference file I had made the butt look like it was part of the flexible undersuit. Idk why I thought that was right. It’s clearly part of the external armor.

C2F02021-11AA-4F63-8F45-F3DFD011C326.png

If it make it out of an entirely different material, I think it’s going to look super off… I’m gonna need to sit down at weenie hut jr and think this over with a milkshake

Can I use the pep as a master? I looked for tutorials on it, and nothing really suggested that it would work. For some reason I just assumed the master would disintegrate during the process

Oh no. If you're just doing silicone molds and use resin it never disintegrates. Things like wax during metalsmithing can disintegrate but if you're doing resin/plastic/3d/etc. and silicone mold you never use the master unless you destroy it yourself.
Halo prop builders have made pepakura or 3d printed helmets and did mold them multiple times when they were selling them.

well well well. The reference file I had made the butt look like it was part of the flexible undersuit. Idk why I thought that was right. It’s clearly part of the external armor.

View attachment 322997

If it make it out of an entirely different material, I think it’s going to look super off… I’m gonna need to sit down at weenie hut jr and think this over with a milkshake

Oh no no. All MasterBuilder's pepakura files are for actual Chief's armor and its parts.
Undersuit is different but the files in the folder are all for hard armor so unless you desire to make it in a different way on purpose you can do just follow the pep files regarding the armor parts.
Only thing is the gap in the chest on the front - that part is supposed to be a softer material (in Halo 4 same material with hex as undersuit) so that's why there is a hole in the files.
Mk6MOD/gen2 have undersuit very nicely integrated with the armor but it's all soft.
Below I included Halo 5 reference which is pretty much same armor (H5 they mainly just changed the undersuit on gen2 and Chief's armor doesn't have the damage on the chest anymore) but in H5 style the paint on armor is more vibrant olive and it makes it more distinguishable from the undersuit.

1662574290739.png

Question. Poll?

Do we hate the fupa Fanny pack?

View attachment 322854

I have two options

1. Leave it bulky and use it as a Fanny purse for my wallet and money (functional. Yet bulky)

2. Slim it down and scale it down to jut out less and be less obvious

Thoughts?

View attachment 322855View attachment 322853
We are in the process of redoing the Fanny pack. It needs to be smaller. It looks ridiculous. Also redoing that Spartan ass.

I broke up the chest file to rescale and print the fupa, belt and ass. Almost completed with that pep. Then back to fiberglassing.
00CCEBFC-077F-4A72-BFB4-65D176E26A00.jpeg

"fiberglassing state"

The Covenant likes that

View attachment 323395

Crazy how fast you've been burning through that build. Did you end up going with a pouch in the front area using a different scale?
I scaled it down and re-made the fupa. I wanted to SEE the scale difference and I definitely think the smaller one is the one I will go with. I did the same with the lower back piece. Idk how my scale got so whacked for those pieces

A93A42AC-28A6-43FF-ADE4-26A39039CE01.jpeg

oh that for sure works a lot better! Sometimes the base pieces can be off scaled when you initially open the pep, I've had to double check that myself a few times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back