1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

Dismiss Notice

Mech/Exoskeleton Build (Full-Size )

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by GMer56, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Lieutenant Jaku

Lieutenant Jaku

are you planning to incorporate this into your design or is it just for fun and random stuff

GMer56 likes this.
  2. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that it's gonna be the head :p

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  3. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Got a pair of feets:

feets.JPG

I'm actually able to mount them without the stasis dock. Got 40gb of raw video footage (approx 3 hours) of the build process from metal sheet to the pre-trim stage. Plan to process it into some sort of build video. Then shoot some footage of me suiting up and running around in the legs, then arms.

4. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Between helping my folks & granny I haven't had much free time. But since I got today off I'm fixing up a 2-stroke weedwacker I found on the side of the road (dirty carbeurator, fuel tank/broken fuel lines, broken primer bulb-now waiting for the fuel tank to dry after rinsing it out) to test my super secret powerarmor module. More on that later.

I'm also trying out orange on the shin. SO ORANGE O_O

Feets_orange.jpg

5. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Finally figured out how to livestream. From my tablet. At 720p. During peak hours.
    Do I actually sound like that?

Smacked myself in the eye taking off an elbowpad during an (unaired) test of the legs. They hold up -the legs, not the eye. Might stream a test run if I can find something to mount my tablet to.

Dirtdives likes this.
  6. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Managed to wriggle it out the garage door for a few hours of testing. Video to follow.

IMG_20180624_104812.jpg

Video:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Dude.....every time I see your thread, something new!!! I love the mechanics you put in to the arms. Brilliant work. Your last vid it looks like the legs were rubbing together when you walked around. Problem?

TurboCharizard likes this.
  8. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

The arms were a pain. I was going to try some PVC magical leverwork like skeletronics but got too impatient and cheated with bowden cables. Delicious, delicious bowden cables. They're encased in some nifty looking blue conduit I found in the bushes behind the house. Must have a few hundred feet of the stuff, makes me wonder what my grandfather was doing with it.

The legs do rub a bit. I like how they flare out but the main problem is they flop about because the only structural support is on the front. Technically they're supposed to be flush with the sides. If I keep 'em from wiggling there would probably be very little rubbing. Of course I also forgot to put on the belt strap, so the entire thing was flopping around on my back.

There is a lot of flopping at the moment.

Adding the weight of the torso onto the shins means I need more bungees to give proper resistance for the ankles. Gonna change the bungee hookes out for some bungee cord (off a spool!) instead. I'm also working on a lighter shin subframe, because the current ones weight about 20-30lbs!

The thread view count is almost OVER 9000!

9. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Please...strap up those floppers.......and never question grandfathers.....just go with it.........You also might want to consider this: You leg's width isn't that of your mecha's. Meaning to make the legs walk smoothly you would need to walk bowlegged as if you were straddling a horse. If you relocate the platforms where you stand on inward, within the mecha's legs, you could not only prevent the reverse pigeon toe look (both feet pointing outward rather than forward) and the rubbing of the inner leg sections (don't want to start a fire....good thing this isn't made out of denim), you will keep better balance and prevent developing a severe case of charlie-horse in your legs.

GMer56 and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  10. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Everyone knows the head is the important bit. A fun little fellow with a less macabre look and -dare i say- patriotic?

20180628_205239.jpg 20180628_205246.jpg

11. Lieutenant Jaku

Lieutenant Jaku

I thought you were using the skull thing, did you decide against it?

Dirtdives likes this.
  12. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

I'm considering a variety of ideas. Eventually I'll be building a second suit for the fight, but I am tempted to be lazy in the design and just use my Yggradsil model

13. Lieutenant Jaku

Lieutenant Jaku

GMer56 you should, a functioning Yggradsil suit would be cool!

Dirtdives likes this.
  14. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

At my Folk's place for the weekend watching the cat I discovered something somewhat unfortunate.

IMG_20180630_133403.jpg

when getting a new roll of aluminum flashing apparently it looks like they're diluting the aluminum with a copper backing so now I have to worry about which side faces out. still it won't stop me from making the back piece

And here is the little guy:
    IMG_20180630_133456.jpg
    Gotta watch him because he's old and smart and sometimes jumps to the wrong conclusions. About 10 years ago I was the one who bottle fed him so we're buddies.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  15. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Some progress

IMG_20180630_143316.jpg

IMG_20180630_143700.jpg

Two halves
    IMG_20180630_151421.jpg IMG_20180630_154350.jpg IMG_20180630_155124.jpg IMG_20180630_155157.jpg IMG_20180701_125933.jpg

Managed to get all the important rivets on so it xan survive the trip. Not doing much more cause it's nearly 100 degrees!

16. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Modeling the chest

boobles.jpg

Dirtdives likes this.
  17. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Made a better chest and modeled the current face for the lels:

newchest.jpg

Lieutenant Jaku and Dirtdives like this.
  18. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Holy cow... I like it!

cowboy hat.jpg

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  19. Lieutenant Jaku

Lieutenant Jaku

holy cow... boy
    the hat is a nice touch, it would be interesting if you gave it a full gunslinger outfit to match.
    looking great.

20. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Well I can always steal...er, be inspired by sixshooter:

Six_Shooter.jpg

21. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Working on a system to help with weight (aka thighs)

IMG_20180715_172521.jpg IMG_20180715_172528.jpg IMG_20180715_172530.jpg IMG_20180715_172537.jpg IMG_20180715_172551.jpg

Added some larger wheels to the stasis dock so ita easier to move around the driveway.

IMG_20180715_172751.jpg