mk helmet.. done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

x30ffx

Bam. My first ever replica is complete. Chief's mk vi helmet!
The process was as exciting as it was frustrating, but I would have not spent my time any other way. In just under two months, I squeezed this thing in to be completed by halloween.
Pepakura was easy, resin was easy, but the bondo was the most frustrating thing I've ever used. I could write a whole book on what I learned everyday!

I thought spreading bondo was going to be like icing a cake, but imagine if that icing was goopy and rock-hard. I initially filled in some resin-warp, and a huge tear in my card stock, and that worked out all well. I spent a disproportionate time stripping those hideous lumps with 80-grit; I ate through a sheet a day! The side was pretty annoying and unsightly, but there was one point where I realized that some more sanding would smooth it nicely, and it did. The top was easier, I filled and sanded and filled and sanded until it was excitingly smooth. The primer though made some divets, and the paint on top of it showed it too (how do I get rid of these??).

At this stage, I talked to some of my more experienced friends about the process, and I realized I wasn't the only one who felt this way. That kept me going at the lowest point, as I am not the only one who has a love-hate relationship with bondo. Lastly, it seems like some of my friends have vowed to use EVA so they don't have to work with bondo! haha

Smoothing took a month and a half. I had merely a couple days to install the visor, add details, and paint the whole thing. Oops! Forget lighting! I used foam sheets to add the floating faces, and some duct tubing for those vents. The visor, courtesy of Jim McCrea, actually fits my piece, and it looks awesome! I scaled my whole thing up so that it could fit in my head without back-off-modding, and it looked pretty normally sized. And then, the painting. I used Krylon primer, and that thing was amazing. It came out so smooth and slick. I only had time to fill in the solid colors, but only now did I know that painting is half of the effect. The masking was careless, and some of my paint peeled even before I took off the tape. I read volpin's book over and over again, and realized that an afternoon wasn't enough time to really make it stand out.

So, I pulled out 10 hours of my busy schedule per week to make this thing. I love it, but I hate it. It's absolutely priceless, but it's a piece of trash. This thing is the culmination of all my emotions. Finally, a physical object to embody my learning. Those mistakes stay, and you have to find a way to deal with them. Finishing has left a bit of an emotional vacuum; the only closure I'll feel is by starting another project

Here's some takeaways:

You will always have the urge to put on more bondo. Don't.

Those resin drips can be sanded down; you're just not putting in enough effort.

Don't leave the paint job to one single afternoon. Ever.

Remember that what you're doing is amazing and glorious; you're literally bringing a dream to life!

Thank you guys for being so supportive! I am very happy that I can talk to other people who have the interest and commitment.

IMG_1444.JPG

The helmet looks good. Some times we all over think the build process. Have i sanded enough? Is it smooth enough? Is the paint good enough? But remember that you just made a chief helmet with you own two hands. Practice makes perfect, right!? Helpfull hint on the sanding end of it, get a nice flex shaft carving tool. Dremil has a nice one, personally I bought a fordom. They are pricey but we'll worth it. I just finished my son's mark 4 helmet, all glass and resin, no Bondo. It made the sanding and shaping easy.

Looks good for a first build. I'm just hoping my first build will come decent. It'll be a week tomorrow since I printed my pep file and got started. Just think of how even better your second project will be now that you've finished one.

Great job man. I hope my first build looks just as good. An orbital sander can also cut down on your sanding time. Just make sure you have a respirator.

When I made my first helmet the bondo was the worst part of the process. I felt like I had put to much on and then had to sand it off again and again. As I'm starting my next project I think I'm going to go the route of using rondo on the inside and outside. I've read some really good threads on here about rondo and how you can spread it on thin (1/8 inch) on the outside and it leaves the detailing of the helmet. My problem with bondo was how it took away from the detailing on the outside. Your helmet looks great other than some drip lines in the paint but who really cares "YOU MADE A MASTER CHIEF HELMET OUT OF PAPER!!!!!!" in the end that's all that counts. Keep peppin brother.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back