MLC's journey to becoming MC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavier said:
any more progress, i normally wouldnt ask but seeing as you guys seem to be working like a bat outta hell, i thought i might.

Hopefully, molding will be finished either by late this afternoon or by tomorrow. Once we get this done, we can now extract the first prototype - which will serve as my personal copy :D
I'll take more pics today of the molding & will upload page 2 of my halo photo album. Stay tuned........

Macattack64 said:
You mean like the cardboard used to back comic book bags... :\

Hmmm......kinda hard to explain. Imagine a box of Kellogs cereal. I would say if you laminate the front of a cereal box with its rear, that would be almost similar to our "illustration board" over here. Except, one side is white & the reverse side is black. I would also add that the smoothness of our board is almost as smooth as the outside of a cereal box.
Hope that explains it a bit.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
papamurf812 said:
This thing looks amazing, it shouldn't be in the n00b section. MLC is no n00b, that's for sure.

Thank you sir! But dont let me fool ya - I may not be a noob in making stuff but I'm a total noob when it comes to Halo/MC :lol: hehehehe - I dont even have a Xbox :p

Hmmm......thinking about it now, I dont even know if what I'm doing is Halo3! :rolleyes:

Once again you just blow my mind!Your planning and attention to detail combine with your skill will truely impress.
You would'nt have picked up your skills in the late 70's customizing cars and vans would you?

PS. I hope you continue to post lots of picks as i can see so much technique that ive never even thought of that would help improve my projects.
You truely are a master craftsman.

Motive8 said:
Once again you just blow my mind!Your planning and attention to detail combine with your skill will truely impress.
You would'nt have picked up your skills in the late 70's customizing cars and vans would you?

PS. I hope you continue to post lots of picks as i can see so much technique that ive never even thought of that would help improve my projects.
You truely are a master craftsman.

Thank you sir - much appreciated!
I'm into cars actually - infact, I belong to about 3 car clubs here in Manila. I do customize parts both interior & exterior. Nothing major thou. We also do customize fiberglass audio set-ups. Yup, cars is one of my passions :D Watching Chip Foose in Rides is trully inspiring! :not worthy:

Will definitely update in a few hours......

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Update: 11/13/07

Posted 12 pics of the molding process in page 2 of my online photo album:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?use...6&curpage=2

The Pep helm is now encased in its 4 layer thick fiberglass tomb mold :p It would be left overnight to fully cure before freeing the captive helm :lol:
The mold sure looks like a predatorish/samurai type of helm isnt it? :lol:
The helmet mold itself is composed of 8 sections to properly capture the details & to ease extracted fiberglass pulls - this is definitely the most number of sections in any helmet molds we did in the past :eek:

Once we clean the molds, we can now lay-up some fiberglass for the first prototype helm - cant wait! :rolleyes
Hope you guys are enjoying the updates so far!

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

so once your done making the mold, your casting it in fiberglass too? not FRP, or smooth-on plastic? i would like more info on molding using this method, including making this type of mold. if you have any favorite links or tips, please pm me, btw i have a new helmet model, i would really like you to build it,, i wanna see what you can do with it. .and your opinion of the difficulty to build compared to sylfos

This is insane. Why is this even in the noob forum? This should be in some kind of GrandMaster forum.

I'd also have to say that your helment is one of the most in-proportion fan helmets I've ever seen. Amazing work.

dannifood4less said:
so once your done making the mold, your casting it in fiberglass too? not FRP, or smooth-on plastic? i would like more info on molding using this method, including making this type of mold. if you have any favorite links or tips, please pm me, btw i have a new helmet model, i would really like you to build it,, i wanna see what you can do with it. .and your opinion of the difficulty to build compared to sylfos

Our mold is fiberglass and every product pulled from those molds are also fiberglass - however, the mold is about 4x thicker than an actual product so we could extract multiple products from those molds.
Our method is called "hard molding" - whereas some use silicone/rubber molds. While rubber molding is the best, its very expensive here and could only pull a few products due to its softer method.

Feel free to email me: mlcallanta@gmail.com

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

I just had a chance to view your other outstanding work on helms and props,truley amazing!.My question is where are they sold? fan mags,ebay?

You are the pep/carboard detail king!!!!!!!!!

Nice detaling, looks like it will be just as good or almost as good as a molded suit.

ok.. i can see it would be easy to make a fiberglass mold, and do fiberglass pulls from a single section, but how do you join them? will it be one single piece when you make your casting? ive been looking around the net for tutorials, and keep seeing very simple tutorials, (i.e. one panel for like car fenders, etc) the most complex i have seen is split into two outer mold pieces, but still it looks like the used some sort of liquid plastic for the final product.

Motive8 said:
I just had a chance to view your other outstanding work on helms and props,truley amazing!.My question is where are they sold? fan mags,ebay?

Thank you sir :D
Where are they sold? You're just an email away :D

AoBfrost said:
You are the pep/carboard detail king!!!!!!!!!
Nice detaling, looks like it will be just as good or almost as good as a molded suit.

The Pep is the base. Added details & bondo, then it will be molded. So all my stuff would be "molded stuff" eventually ;)
While I was also planning on posting this to the "mold" section - but unfortunately I still dont have the 50 post count to start any new threads in that section. :(

dannifood4less said:
ok.. i can see it would be easy to make a fiberglass mold, and do fiberglass pulls from a single section, but how do you join them? will it be one single piece when you make your casting? ive been looking around the net for tutorials, and keep seeing very simple tutorials, (i.e. one panel for like car fenders, etc) the most complex i have seen is split into two outer mold pieces, but still it looks like the used some sort of liquid plastic for the final product.

Each section will be layed-up with fiberglass & resin - once each section has it, they could be mated together with "mixed" putty (Fiberglass pieces mixed with resin & putty).
If you look at the pics closely - you'll notice half-circle clay mounds on the flanges. When you lay-up fiberglass on those mounds, it will create a locking indention between each section for alignment purposes.
Aside from these mounds, we also drill a hole on the flanges to connect bolt & nuts to tighten each section to its mate.

Once everything is cured (about 45minutes), dettached all the sections & you now have a single helmet. Naturally, there would be some thin flanges that sticks to your helmet from each section - this is cleaned by sanding them all out.
You dont actually have an immaculate product right off the molds - they are still "cleaned" by sanding & by adding bondo to any rough spots to smoothen them out.

Hard Molding any props is easy as it takes only about an hour (depending also on how big an item is molded) to cure - its the cleaning that takes days.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Gorgeous work as usual! Stunning and inspirational!

I just had bad flash backs to Art school making cubes out of illustration board XD I sucked so bad at making them! I'm taking on this project to help me get over my fear of stuff like this! And I have a few afew large sheets of IB laying around so here's a way to use it up :D

The hard mold method you use won't produce nearly the quality you'd get from a silicone mold.

Silicone IS expensive even in the US, though with the money you're throwing at this project with all that illustration board and fiberglass, you could just buy it online, and have it shipped no? Also, silicone gives you molds that last for nearly infinite pulls, with max detail. Kinda the selling point.

For those of you who don't know what illustration board is, you can get it at staples in a 3 pack for about $15 dollars.

Yes, it is very expensive stuff. Where MLC is from, they must be rolling in illustration board, or he's just plain old rich! LMAO

Good stuff though sir! My only complaint is that you aren't able to use silicone and plastic for your molds. :sad:

Silicone molds dont last forever. They will tear, you will curse, and you might make another depending on how you feel about spending more money on silicone. :p plain and simple.

drgon47 said:
Silicone molds dont last forever. They will tear, you will curse, and you might make another depending on how you feel about spending more money on silicone. :p plain and simple.

Right. They last a lot longer than you "think" they will however.
There is a reason we use silicone molds in the molding industry. Cause they stand up well to batch runs.
Now, they may not last...say...as in time..months, years...silicone will go brittle and tear more from time than production runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back