MLC's journey to becoming MC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maaaarrrrrrrdddddooooon! Good to see you workin' on a Spartan!

Guys, for those of you who don't know Mardon, he is one of the very best Boba Fett, C3-PO and other SW prop makers, as well as 1/6th scale American and German tanks.

Bro, sorry I've been out of touch the last 2 months. RL has had me on a spin cycle. But, it's alllll awesome now! :D

Guys, if you're wanting to be a Spartan, you'd best be a gettin' ready, cuz MLC is on the job now!!

Welcome Bro!

-Rex

Actually, MLC does produce alot of excellent work..enough to the point where a few of his items are actually considered pinnacles of Prop Making and very much sought after. I own a few of his products and I have to agree.

Just me...and a few others. ;)

Stay safe,

Tim.

quixand_prop said:
The hard mold method you use won't produce nearly the quality you'd get from a silicone mold.

Silicone IS expensive even in the US, though with the money you're throwing at this project with all that illustration board and fiberglass, you could just buy it online, and have it shipped no? Also, silicone gives you molds that last for nearly infinite pulls, with max detail. Kinda the selling point.

For those of you who don't know what illustration board is, you can get it at staples in a 3 pack for about $15 dollars.

Yes, it is very expensive stuff. Where MLC is from, they must be rolling in illustration board, or he's just plain old rich! LMAO

Good stuff though sir! My only complaint is that you aren't able to use silicone and plastic for your molds. :sad:

Silicone is nice most specially if you want to mold an item that has intricate details. Compared to hard molds, silicone is pliable - just like peeling off a banana. Undercuts, which are impossible to pull in hard molds are achievable in silicone. We also use silicone in small parts that have intricate details - as one example, the snout greeblie of a Star Wars Biker Scout helmet.

But with large or less complicated pieces, hard molding does the same job. With silicone's expense, we'd rather do a bit more labor for clean-up than spend money on very expensive silicone. Life-size props/costuming are huge pieces that hard molding it can do the job and with less cost than using silicone.
Even when you're using silicone, its soft that it is normally backed by fiberglass to hold the shape of the mold - thus its really more expensive - maybe 3-4x the cost of fiberglass alone.

As for the fiberglass vs plastics - what I do have are fiberglass workers, not plastic workers. In the prop community, I've encountered both ABS plastics as well as its cheaper counterpart - styrene. I'm sure that there are other kind of plastics around that are also used.
With plastics, the repairable factor is low. Imagine having a 1" diameter hole in plastic - how do you plug this? bondo doesnt really stick well with plastics.
With fiberglass, even if you cut a helmet in half - it could be easily be brought back to its condition without even knowing that it was cut in half. Fiberglass is very repairable, its lightweight & very durable.

To view some of our prop works, do browse my online photo album:

http://www.printroom.com/pictureSearch.asp?userid=mlcallanta

It has 6 pages consisting of about 40+ projects.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Halo_1 said:
Actually, MLC does produce alot of excellent work..enough to the point where a few of his items are actually considered pinnacles of Prop Making and very much sought after. I own a few of his products and I have to agree.

Just me...and a few others. ;)

Stay safe,

Tim.

Well here on this forum, we have Bluerealm, Link, Sean Bradly and Adam who are the Legends of prop building.

Where as Bluerealm's famous master chief suit has been making huge commotion over at bungie and film makers from the Halo 3 film.

Plus all of the other amazing prop builders have been mentioned on T.V. and even the Halo 3 legendary edition game pack. (Link)

So, if you haven't noticed, this community is VERY skilled in prop building

Iceman29 said:
Well here on this forum, we have Bluerealm, Link, Sean Bradly and Adam who are the Legends of prop building.

Where as Bluerealm's famous master chief suit has been making huge commotion over at bungie and film makers from the Halo 3 film.

Plus all of the other amazing prop builders have been mentioned on T.V. and even the Halo 3 legendary edition game pack. (Link)

I would have to say that this board is awesome - full of talented individuals. The names you mentioned above are very skilled artisans who have brought top notch calibre costumes to make this forum proud. They trully deserve their recognition and I'm happy just to be a spectator in all of this. I bow to their achievements :not worthy:

I dont have any desire to compete with anyone in this forum and this thread was solely created to showcase what I have learned from this board. Its not a discussion of who has the best helmet or who is utilizing the best materials - its just a manner of showing what we did and in the process/materials that we are familiar with. It may be different from the rest, so thats fine with us.
Our only purpose is to possibly enlighten, educate & most specially inspire others to achieve what they wanted with their costumes.

No need for any fame or recognition here - just a noob coasting along in this great forum of yours :)

Iceman29 said:

Iceman,

Yes, I have noticed...On every forum, there are individual talents that are Legends in Prop Building, and I totally agree that the 4 you quoted are as such, here on this board, I'm not disputing that. My statement was a heads up to quixand_prop's statement about Hard Molding, and the end product that comes from it.

Maybe you should just relax and take a chill pill dude. I've done my fair share of sculpting, reworking, scratchbuilding, casting and molding to recognize skilled talents.

Hats off to the Halo Builders here, you guys do magnificent work!

Mardon, apologies bro.

Stay safe,

Tim.

now for the part i have trouble understanding, could i possibly see a timelaps vid of this next process? im very interested in seeing how to lay the fiberglass in a segmented mold, and still have a solid one piece helmet. (if a vid is not possible, lots of pics will be great lol)

Hey guys - no worries :)

I was just a bit concerned when (legendary) names were posted in this thread - no need for comparisson to their greatness. I am a nobody here ;)

Lets just go back to the topic on hand and I hope you guys are still as enthusiastic as i am - we may have made a lot of props in the past, but a "first" prototype pull always excites me :p

Jeesh, gotta work on my pep arms first - as the waiting for the helm is killing me! :p

Mardon(MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

dannifood4less said:
now for the part i have trouble understanding, could i possibly see a timelaps vid of this next process? im very interested in seeing how to lay the fiberglass in a segmented mold, and still have a solid one piece helmet. (if a vid is not possible, lots of pics will be great lol)

What a tall order! :mad:

Just kidding man........I'll see what I can do sir! :D

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Here ya go DF4L:

Kindly reference the pics I have in page 2 of my online photo album:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?use...6&curpage=2

Just look at pics: 58-69.

1) Clean the molds
- sometimes some loose card sticks to the molds when you release it from the master, thus you need to clean the molds. High grit sandpaper, soap & water will do.

2) Wax the molds (pic 58 & 59)
- wax all the molds, wait for it to dry (around 15min.) and wax for the 2nd time. Let dry.

3) Add Gelcoat (pic 60)
-since resin & fiberglass dries clear/opaque, gelcoat adds a bit of color so you can see what you're working on. W/o gelcoat, you'd produce a clear item that is hard to clean-up due to its opaque nature.
Gelcoat is just resin + toner. Toner comes in varying colors or you can customize your own by mixing toners.

4) Lay-up fiberglass and resin to each individual mold section (pic 61)
- sometimes, you can connect multiple mold parts together before you lay-up fiberglass to them all. But when a certain prop is enclosed, you have to glass each section of the mold.

5) Cut excess fiberglass from edges of the molds (pic 62)
- before the resin & fiberglass fully hardens, you can scrape the excess fiberglass from the edges using a sharp knife. You gotta clear all those excess so that the flanges are free of debris so mating could be smooth later on.

6) Wax the flanges and attach all sections together using bolt & nuts (pic 63, 64 & 65).

7) Lay-up fiberglass on all seams of each joined section (pic 66-69)

We finished assembling everything by around 6pm - so we're letting everything cure overnight before prying off the molds from the first product pull. Actually, just an hour or two is enough to cure it - but since the workers have to go home, we left it to cure longer :lol:

The helmet seams are easily fiberglassed since there is a big opening (neck area) where you can fit in your hand & brush/lay-up fiberglass. However, if your prop is fully enclosed (like molding a basketball) - then you have to lay-up fiberglass on each half mold section, adding resin putty (resin + patching compound) on the edges then joining them up to cure.
As an example of an enclosed prop - check the pics below of our jet thrusters for the jetpack of a Boba Fett costume:
I also enclosed a pic that shows the rocket & thrusters of the jetpack right after pulling them from their molds.
As you can see, there is still some thin resin residue around the prop as a result of the flanging - but this is easily removed by your fingers and sanding them off smooth.

Hope that gives you a bit of insight in our hard molding process.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Well MLC, your stuff certainly is the most professional looking stuff I've seen on this forum.

Excellent workmanship, can't wait to see everything.
Do you do this for a living? I noticed you said you had fiberglass workers?

I'd love to do nothing but this kind of stuff everyday, you're quite a lucky guy.

I've worked with Mardon for the past several years with Boba Fett props. I'm Bountys Hunted on TDH.

This is what MLC stands for:

1) Accuracy
2) Communicative (how rare is that?!)
3) Turnaround time- With Fett Gear, we could go from accepting orders to delivering finished product in 8-10 weeks.
Consistently. For Years.
4) Props arrive sanded smooth and primered grey, ready to paint.
5) Satisfied Customers-
6) Every Single Prop is photo documented from it's creation w/ Illustration board to molding to final product.

In all these years, I have not gotten one complaint about quality or accuracy. We improved our Jetpack with input from TDH, none better resources for Boba or Jango Fett. None.

We have good relationships with other Fett propmakers. In fact, if we can't get it done in time for an event, we've contacted other Fett makers and referred business to each other.

The guys here are great, awesome, no question. Excellent artists and prop makers all.

MLC is well known in Star Wars costuming.

Soon to be well known in Spartan Armor Equipping.

Noob- that does not describe MLC, not at all.

MLC,

What is it that you are using? Fiberglass Mat?
I haven't seen Fiberglass cloth that's ever looked like that.

thank you MLC, that helps out alot, ill send u a pm anywyas to double check if i have any further questions.

--edit,
yes that is fiberglass mat, its alot stronger than fiberglass cloth, but its pretty messy, i get fibers everywhere when i use that stuff, i like using the cloth for the last layer cuz it looks cleaner.

Hey MLC (Great job BTW)

Can you like explain how to make hard molds. Because I don't have a lot of money, I'm a noob in modelling (Never mold something).

Silicon or Fiberglass?

And I don't have special tools. I'll get a dremel for X-Mas.

What do you think?

quixand_prop said:
MLC,

What is it that you are using? Fiberglass Mat?
I haven't seen Fiberglass cloth that's ever looked like that.

Yes sir, that is fiberglass Mat - it has varying weight, I dont actually know what weight my workers are using. Will ask later if you wanted.

LastSpartan said:
Hey MLC (Great job BTW)

Can you like explain how to make hard molds. Because I don't have a lot of money, I'm a noob in modelling (Never mold something).

Silicon or Fiberglass?

And I don't have special tools. I'll get a dremel for X-Mas.

What do you think?

Making hard molds can be viewed in pic 40-54 of my photo album:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?use...6&curpage=2

It all depends on the complexity of the item you're molding. Honestly, I was very surprised it took that many sections for my worker to mold the Halo helmet as I thought it would only take 4-5 parts, but the underbrim design as well as the 2 side cheek recess proved to add 3 more parts.

Once you know where the item you're molding will be separated, you can now flange it using thin cardboard (cereal boxes come to mind).
Once you've corraled that section with card, wax it till dry and then you can lay-up your fiberglass & resin. When that dries, remove the thin cardboard and repeat the process on the next section.......so forth & so on.
Eventually, you would've encased it.

One of the things you would have to master is estimating how much cobalt (hardener) you would have to add to the resin. Too much & it dries fast, too little will make you work longer. Your estimate will be based on how big the area you will be fiberglassing.
Just work in a ventilated area, use a nurse's mask and a pair of gloves in handling fiberglass - they're very itchy. My fiberglasser has 25yrs of fiberglassing under his belt, so i guess his hands are already immune from the itchiness.

Yes, a Dremel is a gift from the hobby gods! :D I use it almost on a daily basis when I work on my cardboard mock-ups.
Play around with it & know what the included attachments do before spending away on buying additional attachments. Sanding, cutting & drilling work are the most common use for the Dremel - but it does so much more. Its not that heavy-duty enough to be used around the house - you got power tools for that. Dremel is a hobby power tool.
Dont forget to buy goggles & make sure you wear them when you work. A Dremel tool has a high speed motor that when attachments break - they fly all around.
Be very careful with dutting discs - they're thin & when they break/shatter debris fly in all directions. Goggles man - use it!

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back