MLC's journey to becoming MC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LastSpartan said:
What color you used?

And damn I want my helmet look like that lol.

I searched the net looking for a site that has a large sample swatch of both Oregano and Olive Drab 2. Printed both out and gave it to a paint mixer nearby. Told the mixer to mix something a bit darker than Oregano but a tad lighter than Olive Drab 2. The rest is just flat black.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone. This is my first post here on the site. I have been a guest here for about a week now, looking at projects and collecting information to begin my project. I must say this is a nice site with skillful armor makers such as MLC here.

MLC, may I say to you sir nice work on that helmet. I will soon send you an email about buying one of those magnificent works of art. This helmet is blowing my mind. Hopefully when i get into the business mine would be a quarter as good as yours.

Good Luck with the rest of your project

-Jared

Update 11/20/07

Apologies for the lack of updates, but since my son needed the camera for a school project I just went ahead with the ff mods:

- Helmet was gelcoated black in its interior
- installed wirings properly - including a dettachable 9V battery box made out of fiberglass as well as fiberglassing a metal bracket for the light switch.
- cut out the 4 small oval slots at both ends of the brim design for actual vents to lessen the fogging of lens.
- installed the 2 3/4" wire loom for the cheeks
- installed a hard hat liner with fiberglass flat sheet
- ....... and finally installed the visor

Check out the last 7 pics:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?use...6&curpage=3

Uber apologies for the phone cam's resolution. 2nd to the last pic shows my other worker wearing the helmet - he is 5'6" and the last pic is of me wearing the helmet inside the room taken by my wife with her crappy phone cam :p

Well, that finally concludes the Halo helmet. How do you guys like it so far?
Hopefully by tomorrow, we could start with the torso/body armor - but I promise not to take as much pictures like I did with the helmet :eek: Besides, my printroom photo album is running out of space! :lol:

More pics attached below........

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Bro,

Looks awesome! Love it with the visor installed...and to be honest, I can't see a difference tween you and your worker wearing the helm. Looks great on the both of you. ;) Thanks for sharing!

Stay safe,

Tim.

Halo_1 said:
Bro,

Looks awesome! Love it with the visor installed...and to be honest, I can't see a difference tween you and your worker wearing the helm. Looks great on the both of you. ;) Thanks for sharing!

Stay safe,

Tim.

We have about 5"-6" between the both of us :lol:

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

That helmet looks awesome finished, very nice job. Out of curiousity, how did you attach the visor, is that just hot glue? Can't quite make it out in that picture looking inside the helm.

I can't wait to see what you can do with the torso!

Ruze789 said:
That helmet looks awesome finished, very nice job. Out of curiousity, how did you attach the visor, is that just hot glue? Can't quite make it out in that picture looking inside the helm.

I can't wait to see what you can do with the torso!

I was actually waiting for somebody to ask that question.....eventually :D

Both visors were mounted in 4 positions - both ends of the temple, forehead & even on the snout sections. Visors were drilled with holes on their mounting positions & fiberglass putty was used to adhere both visors to the inside of the helmet.

Sorry for the reso of the pic below, but those round tan colored spots you see on the visors are the mounting positions or the fiberglass putty (resin mixed with fiberglass & patching compound) - very strong bond!

You have to use a grinder & grind those mounting positions to bits before you can remove the visor! :p

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

MLC said:

Oh, somebody always asks that question. I figured it'd be me this time, I could make out the spots on the visor in your other photo and was intrigued. I thought they were screws, though.
Very cool method, and thanks for the reply.

Awesome Helm btw.... looks great. And plastic is completely repairable, its just a bit less intuitive than fiberglass. Awesome helmet.

What scale did you build your Pep to?

Spase said:
Awesome Helm btw.... looks great. And plastic is completely repairable, its just a bit less intuitive than fiberglass. Awesome helmet.

What scale did you build your Pep to?

Slyfo's default of 19...something, me thinks :unsure:

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Same here, it just looks a bit larger when you wear it than my helmet turned out... probably just a trick of the camera.

MLC said:

Both visors were mounted in 4 positions - both ends of the temple, forehead & even on the snout sections. Visors were drilled with holes on their mounting positions & fiberglass putty was used to adhere both visors to the inside of the helmet.

Sorry for the reso of the pic below, but those round tan colored spots you see on the visors are the mounting positions or the fiberglass putty (resin mixed with fiberglass & patching compound) - very strong bond!

You have to use a grinder & grind those mounting positions to bits before you can remove the visor! :p

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Bro,

Have you ever thought of using Chicago Screws to mount the visors into place? Since the helm is made from fiberglass, it should hold the Chicago Screws fine, and it'll allow for easier, quick removal for cleaning or replacement.

Here's what I mean by using the Chicago Screws, this is my setup on my BM Helm.

DSC00428.jpg

Just an idea.

Stay safe,

Tim.

Halo_1 said:
Bro,

Have you ever thought of using Chicago Screws to mount the visors into place? Since the helm is made from fiberglass, it should hold the Chicago Screws fine, and it'll allow for easier, quick removal for cleaning or replacement.

Here's what I mean by using the Chicago Screws, this is my setup on my BM Helm.

DSC00428.jpg

Just an idea.

Stay safe,

Tim.

We did actually, but the slight thickness of its screw head might leave us a small gap between the visor lens & the helmet.
I think this would work well integrated in the design whereas you can have these installed by boring a hole outside the helmet, recessing it & covered by bondo so nothing can be seen outside.
Of course, finding a good height for these screws are paramount as long ones may hit you in your face.

Nice work on your fett helmet, BTW :D

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back