MLC's journey to becoming MC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MLC said:
What color?

Having my first MC helm, I think I'm going for the typical "MC Green". Was looking for Krylon Italian Olive, but Tim was kind enough to show an alternative since I cant find that particular Krylon paint over here.
I was able to call the hobby shop & do have the Tamiya TS28 or Olive Drab 2. Will get it by the weekend. Thanks again Tim! :D

While I was at the hardware store earlier, I browsed thru the rattle spray paint cans & got intrigued with a particular green called "Black Board Green"......while I'm very familiar with that color, both the cap & the catalog swatch didnt actually match the familiar color that I've been accustomed to back in school.....this is somewhat lighter in shade.

Anyway, since we're gonna primer my helmet anyway - I thought I'd get this can just to try out since it'll be sanded off anyway.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

No problem bro, glad I could help somehow. :)

As for the BBG color, I don't know, maybe it's just me but it just looks off somehow...IMHO.

Stay safe,

Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
im not saying anything against you guys, and i know that u have history, its just not the place for the conversation, sorry but honestly, the only reason i bring it up is because the mods might have something to say about it, but idk, im just lookin out for you guys they dont like double posting either

Xavier said:
im not saying anything against you guys, and i know that u have history, its just not the place for the conversation, sorry but honestly, the only reason i bring it up is because the mods might have something to say about it, but idk, im just lookin out for you guys they dont like double posting either

Xaiver, once in awhile, an indulgence is always accepted at ANY forum board. I should know, I frequent quite a few. Touching base just outside of the main topic at hand, especially if the posters have a little history is tolerated, just as long as the topic doesn't get off track...it hasn't has it? I know you're real excited about Mardon's work, as we ALL are...relax and take a chill pill bro. Mardon isn't goin anywhere.

Thanks though for the thought..and now, back to our regularly scheduled programme. Mardon, can you say iTouch? :lol:

Stay safe,

Tim.

P.S. Double posting??

MLC said:
Color.......

I'm enclosing a pic of the "black board green" I was telling you about yesterday. Since the helmet will be primered anyway, my worker painted it on the backside of the helm.
Please let me know what you think.

if you're going for exactness, go darker. i would suggest "olive green" or the like.

Halo_1 said:
Mardon, can you say iTouch? :lol:

Stay safe,

Tim.

Nahhh, I already have an iPhone! :p hehehehehe

A little bit darker in color eh........hmm, I guess I have to wait till my son could pick-up the Tamiya paint can by tomorrow.
But about how dark does it have to be? Can I entice anybody to post a pic of your prefered "MC Green" perhaps?
My eyes might be failing but I seem to see MC green as a bit light green in color - dunno really.
Pics would help thou ;)

Totally off topic but if LastSpartan if you're the last spartan and your sig says "Spartans never die" how can you be the last Spartan?

gallery_2069_5_246315.jpg

Halo_1 said:
P.S. Double posting??

Double posting = Same user doing back to back posting, instead of using edit button and adding to the previous post. Kind of like one person posting multiple times to bump a thread. Generally very discouraged on this board.

MLC said:
Nahhh, I already have an iPhone! :p hehehehehe

A little bit darker in color eh........hmm, I guess I have to wait till my son could pick-up the Tamiya paint can by tomorrow.
But about how dark does it have to be? Can I entice anybody to post a pic of your prefered "MC Green" perhaps?
My eyes might be failing but I seem to see MC green as a bit light green in color - dunno really.
Pics would help thou ;)

Here's a reference picture thread, I don't think there exists a better set of pics than the links in it. It might also come in handy for you if you're planning on doing the entire suit.
Link

And here's a thread of Sean's for his new painting scheme:
Link

Hope those help!

That looks so frickin SWEET! I don't expect anything less from a member of the Dented Helmet forums! AWESOME JOB MAN!

-Andy

Ruze789 said:
Here's a reference picture thread, I don't think there exists a better set of pics than the links in it. It might also come in handy for you if you're planning on doing the entire suit.
Link

And here's a thread of Sean's for his new painting scheme:
Link

Hope those help!

Thanks Ruze!
Thats actually the set of reference pics I was looking at to do some details......but the color of the MC green on that is lighter, dont ya think? Is that the Oregano green or the Italian green that I've seen mentioned in various threads?

While the reference pics show darker & lighter shades and I do understand how WWII vehicles painted in Olive Drab turn to Olive green during time when fading.......I guess I'm just looking at a happy medium between all colors concerned.

For example, if we're suppose to add "weathering" or battle damage to our costumes - does one paint their armor as new & weather it....or do they try to paint a "faded" color of the original one & add weathering/battle damage?

Sorry to be so anal - just trying to understand the mindset you guys have in painting your armors.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

MLC said:
Thanks Ruze!
Thats actually the set of reference pics I was looking at to do some details......but the color of the MC green on that is lighter, dont ya think? Is that the Oregano green or the Italian green that I've seen mentioned in various threads?

While the reference pics show darker & lighter shades and I do understand how WWII vehicles painted in Olive Drab turn to Olive green during time when fading.......I guess I'm just looking at a happy medium between all colors concerned.

For example, if we're suppose to add "weathering" or battle damage to our costumes - does one paint their armor as new & weather it....or do they try to paint a "faded" color of the original one & add weathering/battle damage?

Sorry to be so anal - just trying to understand the mindset you guys have in painting your armors.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

the color for the MC was originally that oregano stuff (a year before the game came out), but they made it much darker a few weeks before the game shipped.

also, you paint it new then battle damage it. but try it both ways, you never know what the new style might be.

Xavier said:
the color for the MC was originally that oregano stuff (a year before the game came out), but they made it much darker a few weeks before the game shipped.

also, you paint it new then battle damage it. but try it both ways, you never know what the new style might be.

Cool - thanks!

Okay, hope i dont get beaten up on this last question......so please bear with me:

Xavier - Your sig shows a lighter MC green, while the pic you posted above of a full body MC with pistols shows a bit darker green. Who is to say which one is accurate & which one is less accurate?

MLC said:
Cool - thanks!

Okay, hope i dont get beaten up on this last question......so please bear with me:

Xavier - Your sig shows a lighter MC green, while the pic you posted above of a full body MC with pistols shows a bit darker green. Who is to say which one is correct & which one is wrong?

dont worry about it, no color is "wrong" but you yourself said that you where going to the true MC green, and for like 6 months, oregano was MC green, but it isnt anymore.

also, mine isnt either, mine was the color used for the CG TV ad, which was somewhere in between the two colors.

Xavier said:
dont worry about it, no color is "wrong" but you yourself said that you where going to the true MC green, and for like 6 months, oregano was MC green, but it isnt anymore.

also, mine isnt either, mine was the color used for the CG TV ad, which was somewhere in between the two colors.

I edited my post above to change the word "wrong" to "accurate & less accurate" as I think using the word "wrong" in discussing varying colors and individual's interpretations is indeed wrong in my part :lol:

Ok, so if Oregano is not MC green anymore - could you recommend a closer green to the color chart link that LastSpartan posted above?

I'm really sorry to be so persistant on this, but when my worker told me that he would be painting my helmet today and needs a swatch - I kinda panicked as I thought painting it would be atleast next week.
While I'm sure I could've painted it any sort of green - I just wanted to paint it a shade similar to what you guys think a close to accurate green may be so it would look good .......atleast in pics :p

Nonetheless, I know I could have it repainted anytime - but just trying to limit the work time.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

im really not sure, try printing out that picture and taking to a hardware store maybe? also, PM Sean Bradley and ask nicely what colors he used for his new paint scheme.

look at this painting method by Adam for an idea, this is his oregano, try to go a few shades darker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYHA-VvBVY0&eurl

and for the record if u cant tell what the paints are, he uses the Oregano, then goes to a black primer, then dry brushes hammered silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back