MLC's journey to becoming MC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcallanta

Jr Member
Hi everyone,

After about 2 weeks of browsing thru the forum - I've decided to showcase what I've done so far in my quest of becoming MC!
Pics are in my online photo album:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?use...album_id=224186

For my first attempt at Pep, I just used ordinary paper to practice & to try scaling - too bad as it was sized for a dog! :p
2nd attempt was using Dannifoof4less files in 220GSM Vellum stock card and it was a perfect fit as I am also 5'11".
After completion, I decided to try another helmet that would have a bit more detail, so I went for Slyfo's files. Both default files seems to be the same size after completion.

While I was having the inside of the helmet fiberglassed, I decided to try out Slyfo's body/torso armor just to properly verify the scale - however, since I have a 41" tummy, I increased the scale +1.00.
I'll be adding some details to both the helmet & body/torso armors to prepare it for molding before I make other armor pieces.

Today, I added cardboard detail parts to the helmet (check out the last 5 pics of the album) in preparation for bondo & molding after. In the next few days, I'll be working on the detailing of the torso armor.

I'm basing off my reference on this:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3158

Please let me know what you think.

MLC

Mardon!

It's about time you showed up here bro! Welcome aboard! And as always, awesome WIP!

Stay safe,

Tim.

Halo_1 said:
Mardon!

It's about time you showed up here bro! Welcome aboard! And as always, awesome WIP!

I totally agree. Nice to see you make the jump over here mate! : P

Awesome job on the pepakura armor so far mate! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

- Fitz - DarkeSword2020 (from BikerScout.net)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this look great! I must say I'm really curious how this is going to work out! ( in the most positive way ;))

You are one a great start, im really impressed with the details on the back side of the armor.The helmet looks great so far, if you could use Spase glassing method I'm convinced that this is going to look insane. I'm understanding that you are experience prop maker for Halo 1 en Dark, im happy to have you aboard.

Slyfo's pep armors are going to a great help for all the ''new'' people over here. Never had any real faith in pep, but with these new files im getting my hopes up.

falcon NL said:
Well this look great! I must say I'm really curious how this is going to work out! ( in the most positive way ;))
You are one a great start, im really impressed with the details on the back side of the armor.The helmet looks great so far, if you could use Spase glassing method I'm convinced that this is going to look insane. I'm understanding that you are experience prop maker for Halo 1 en Dark, im happy to have you aboard.
Slyfo's pep armors are going to a great help for all the ''new'' people over here. Never had any real faith in pep, but with these new files im getting my hopes up.

Yup, it really helps to go around the forum & check various files that are made by our other esteemed members of the forum.
While the sample pep tuts are awesome in itself, it still doesnt beat those extra details found in other files as they're already built in & no need to do guesswork.

Slyfo's files are very impressive - but I still had to add some minute details basing off reference pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow man, that looks great! I was thinking about how I was going to go about getting the little details, and creating them in cardstock seemed easier than putting them in later with a dremel or something...

So, did you just cut out pieces to raise certain areas and glue them on? And are you just planning on resining/priming the whole thing together to make it smooth? I'm just trying to get a good method down, and it really seems like you know what you're doing.

Look forward to seeing more!

The Pep file lines & folds are good basis for knowing where to actually add details - in which the lines serve as boundary or the "area" to where the detail will be added.

I spent most of the mods to the backside of the armor, as I felt the reference pics that I was basing from had different shapes compared to the Slyfo Pep torso file that was created. The center top & bottom details are actually separate which I just positioned in the pics in my album. As much as it would save me if those details will be molded in as one with the main torso - I elected them to be saparate so it would be easily cleaned once we pull a product from the molds......and since their color is different, then it would be easier to paint before attaching to the torso itself.

The Pep armor really takes a beating when you add details - creases develops all around - thus I had to glue illustration board behind the area where I needed to add detail to help strenghten that area. I had some details that are recessed, thus I had to cut a hole so my details can sit properly.

Even if the Pep armor doesnt move as much since I added a lot of additional cardstock to hold its shape, I still feel that we have to resin & probably add a layer of fiberglass to the inside of the armor before adding any bondo. Its easy to distort the pep files with the weight of the bondo as well as the weight of our hand when we are sanding/shaping the bondo.

:cool: I wondered if it was the same MLC ;) , looking at the detail on that it obviously is :D
as someone who has first hand experience with some of your previous work i'm 100% certain we have a top quality Master Chief in the making.

Really looking forward to this one. (y)

Update 11/07/07:

I added about 7 more pics to the album:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?use...album_id=224186

The first 3 pics are of the belt/lower torso mock-up. For some reason, I decided to make "functional" side pouches/pockets - instead of something purely cosmetic.
I guess one could use both pouches for their valuables while trooping or at cons - watch, wallet, cellphone, etc. :D

The next 4 pics are of the half bondoed helmet - its getting close :p
We also removed the black colored "snout greeblie", which I opted to make more accurate. Since the snout greeblie on the Slyfo file integrated a convex lens, I decided to have the snout greeblie removed so we could flex a cardboard as temporary lens, install the new greeblie & bondo it at the back to sit flush with the visor.

Let me know what you guys think.

Mardon (MLC)

Thats looking great.Im always suprised at the speed that some people can move through the project,i guess it comes with experience.
Did you resin the outside as well or just resin and glass the inside.because from the pics. it almost looks like your adding bondo to the raw paper on the outside.Is it also possable to see higher resolution pics.I would love to see the detail of the mods.Thanks for sharing your skill :D

im wondering what became of my poor helmet, your the only one i know of (besides me) that even built it.. you threw it away diddnt you.... :mad:
im still going to finish mine but i have started a custom high detail one for myself too, your helm is coming along nicely. looking foreward to an update for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back