MLC's journey to becoming MC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
iamyourcousin228 said:
Are the 2 ones on the right molded? The look like it. And what variant is in the middle?

The middle would be the Helmet Mold in fiberglass. ;)

Nice work bro!

Stay safe,

Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW MLC this is one of the best Pep Helmets I've ever seen!

I have 3 questions for you:

- What did you put over the helmet to give it more shape? Cardboard?????

- Where did the holes where the vents go, come from?

- Who's pep model file did you use? It sort of looks like slyfo's.

MCpepprogress.jpg

Evolve said:
WOW MLC this is one of the best Pep Helmets I've ever seen!

I have 3 questions for you:

- What did you put over the helmet to give it more shape? Cardboard?????

- Where did the holes where the vents go, come from?

- Who's pep model file did you use? It sort of looks like slyfo's.

MCpepprogress.jpg

Thanks!

1. Yes, cardboard. Various thickness of illustration board.
2. Instead of just a recessed oblong hole, I decided to put 3/4" holes on both ends so we can slip a piece of wireloom to pass thru. Rather than just mold it & have difficulties in painting, I think its best to use an actual wireloom as its cleaner looking & more realistic.
3. Yes, Slyfos H3 pep file.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Sorry for the double post!!!! :(

I just have 3 more questions MLC

- Where did the indents in the jaw part come from?

- How did you make the hole for the vents?

- How did you make the piece next to the visor?

View.jpg

Thanks a million

Evolve said:
Sorry for the double post!!!! :(

I just have 3 more questions MLC

- Where did the indents in the jaw part come from?

- How did you make the hole for the vents?

- How did you make the piece next to the visor?

View.jpg

Thanks a million

1. Thats cardboard. Cut a piece of card in the shape of an inverted "L" (or #7?) & glue into place. Top part would be bondoed anyway.

2. Cut the oblong shape as defined in Pep, built-up the inside with curved cardboard & plug both ends with 1" diameter cardboard with a 3/4" hole in the middle.

3. Cardboard. Draw your design, score it with a xacto knife, score it again with the pointed tip of a compass and lastly, score it with the tip of a screwdriver. The indent in the card will be bigger/wider as you progress - but not beyond actually cutting the cardboard in half.

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Update 11/29/07:

While waiting for my torso/body armor to be molded, I went ahead & started with the MA5C AR build. I was suppose to do the 'complicated' version, but chickened out on the last minute & went for Robogenisis' new AR file. Glad i did as it was a pleasant build on a rainy afternoon :D

After reading a lot of posts about cutting their ARs in half in order to fiberglass the inside, I went with a different route since we would be molding the Pep anyway.
However, reinforcing it to take the cardboard mods & bondo was still necessary - and since this prop is 'closed' when done, then it will be hard to push back details in case we happen to sag the pep.

I went with laminating illustration board to the inside of the Pep while in the process of building it - not all pieces, but basically just the bigger Pep panels since they have more tendency to sag/warp. After cutting each Pep part, I traced it over illustration board, cut the traced part & glued it to the inside of the pep panel. It worked like a charm & the AR is very firm ;)

Only problem is - the build time is longer, but it saves a lot of hassles, most specially of cutting the AR in half, fiberglassing the inside & closing it back. There's just too many variables that could go wrong when mating 2 hardened fiberglass pieces together - gaps and misalignments come immediately to mind.......and grinding edges just to sit flush when mating might also deform the shape of the AR. :eek:

Do check out the last 2 pics in my album:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?use...6&curpage=4

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Wow nice stuff. Your personal helm looks awesome, are you planning on weathering it at all? It looks amazing, but a little too clean.

And nice start to the AR, I had something similar in mind with adding reinforcement as it's built. Are you going to have to add any sort of cross-bracing inside, or is the layer of illustration board sturdy enough?

Ruze789 said:
Wow nice stuff. Your personal helm looks awesome, are you planning on weathering it at all? It looks amazing, but a little too clean.

And nice start to the AR, I had something similar in mind with adding reinforcement as it's built. Are you going to have to add any sort of cross-bracing inside, or is the layer of illustration board sturdy enough?

Yes sir, I plan to weather it - but I was hoping to first complete the costume before weathering it all so it would look uniformed. But who knows, I may do it (or have someone do it for me :p ) in the near future.

Yes, cross bracing is necessary to make it both sturdy as well as to align. If you look closely at the 2nd pic, I made a horizontal brace just below the shroud - this also serve as a floor/rail for the aluminum tube that I plan to insert from the back of the AR up to the front - for the barrel.
It may sound impractical to insert a very long tube inside the AR, whereas only the tip of it would physically be seen as the barrel - but atleast it helps alignment ;)

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

A machine...that's what Mardon is, he's a mean making machine! ;) Awesome start to the AR bro...can't wait to see more!

Stay safe,

Tim.

Halo_1 said:
A machine...that's what Mardon is, he's a mean making machine! ;) Awesome start to the AR bro...can't wait to see more!

Stay safe,

Tim.

i agree with everything, except my name aint Tim :)

Update 12/03/07

Helmets:
Maybe I should change my wife's plan of giving fruit baskets to the neighbors for christmas again this year - and just give them helmets instead........'coz we have some ugly neighbors who could use these! :lol:

MA5C AR Build:
Finally finished with Robogenesis' AR file Pep over the weekend and added some details. After completion, I decided to dremel out the front grips & re-do them in cardboard.
I also integrated a removable panel - just behind the grips to access the interior of the AR for any/possible electronics in the future. Battery changes, wiring, speakers, etc.
I also added some details, but still not finished.

Body/torso armor:
Molds are finally done.......cant wait to lay-up some fiberglass for the prototype product! :D

Check out the last 4 pics in my photo album:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?use...6&curpage=4

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

MLC said:
Maybe I should change my wife's plan of giving fruit baskets to the neighbors for christmas again this year - and just give them helmets instead........
I wish I was one of your ugly neighbors...

MLC said:
Molds are finally done.......cant wait to lay-up some fiberglass for the prototype product! :D
You're not the only one! Looking fantastic, as always.

MLC said:
Update 12/03/07

Helmets:
Maybe I should change my wife's plan of giving fruit baskets to the neighbors for christmas again this year - and just give them helmets instead........'coz we have some ugly neighbors who could use these! :lol:

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Tell you what bro, I'll prepare the fruit baskets and you can ship me the helms. ;) Again, nice detail work on the AR build bro. Thanks for the WIP.

Stay safe,

Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back