Model portfolio (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADD UPDATE (REACH CONCEPT #4-V2 HELMET PEPAKURA)...

The #4-V2 helmet has been uploaded below and at the beginning of the thread. Part of the reason I like working with the concept art (besides how awesome it is) is that it doesn't contain very intricate detailing and I think this aligns well with my proclivity to model things as simply as possible. That said, with the V2 set I've been including some subtleties that result in some pretty thin paper pieces which may be a little tricky to assemble. I don't think it's anything impossible to put together and I hope people are okay with it. The completion of #4-V2 puts the current project at 60%, on to #3-V2 next I think and I'll finish with #2-V2 which is where I started with the original set. Below is some detail for the #4-V2, let me know if you have any feedback and take care.

Reach helmet concept #4-V2 (Satchmo III) 2019-05-12.pdo

The shaping of the original #4 (at the left below) seems more like a locomotive than a helmet. His little brother (at the right below) is more like a helmet.

#4-01.png

For the #5-V2 helmet in my last post I used some generated materials and normal mapping to bake a texture and shadowing onto the model for some added effect. This time around I tried painting a texture directly onto the #4-V2 helmet in order to be able to include some of the decal detailing of IH's concept artwork. It's nothing terribly special and I'm not sure how to make anything glossy (like the visor) when painting but I think the decals add a nice little touch.

#4-01-01.gif

POST RESPONSES...

Ermagersh. Those helmets look fantastic. Really great job, I’d love to see these come to life!

Thank you mblackwell1002! I would like very much to see some concept builds in the future too.

Oh wow, the finished product on that one looks great!!

Thanks Matt, I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
ADD UPDATE (REACH CONCEPT #3-V2 HELMET PEPAKURA)...

The #3-V2 helmet has been uploaded below and at the beginning of the thread. I see elements of the pilot and the EVA helmet in this one. The shape and/or angle of this one is a bit atypical and I think it would benefit from a neck-seal at the back, but I didn't add one to stay truer to the artwork. It's been just a few days over seven years since I made the original versions and I'm excited to be close to finishing the V2 set. Detail info on #3-V2 follows, take care four-oh-five.

Reach helmet concept #3-V2 (Satchmo III) 2019-05-18.pdo

Original at left versus V2 at right (the head on view of the V2 reminds me of the helmet from Doom).

I used the painted texture to for the turn-around below. The lighting isn't as fancy as it could be but I think it still fits the bill.

POST RESPONSES...

Well, well,well look what you gone and did Satchmo, You've gone and made me add anouther helmet to the list

Sweet, do it up man!.

I went quiet the last weeks, still lurking in the background - but let me stop by agin and tell you how much i fancy your work Satchmo III !
Really love it....especially V2. My "things to print"-List got even bigger than it already is.

Thanks ReClaimer8015, I appreciate you coming out from the shadows to leave the note. It'd be awesome to see some prints of these guys.

Pardon the double post (I don't think I can post two GIF files in a single post). I took WIP snap-shots during the modeling of #3-V2 to be able to put together the following time-lapse. There were several modeling sessions over the course of the last week (bits here and there) and I finished up by painting the mesh this morning.

#3-01-01-(resize).gif

Finished pepping of the h2a ODST helmet, it was my 10 year anniversary of building the original ODST helmet which was also my first pep
CE5694B5-26C0-4458-87D9-3048751021C6.jpeg

Edit forgot to mention that no edge ids

ADD UPDATE (REACH CONCEPT #2-V2 HELMET PEPAKURA)...

Viper bravo team is fitted up. The #2-V2 helmet has been uploaded below and at the beginning of the thread. I'm psyched to have been able to improve upon the V1 versions and I feel the new helmets aren't too far removed from something one might have seen in Reach had different choices been made.

Reach helmet concept #2-V2 (Satchmo III) 2019-05-25.pdo

Finished pepping of the h2a ODST helmet, it was my 10 year anniversary of building the original ODST helmet which was also my first pep

Edit forgot to mention that no edge ids

Congrats on building for 10 years! No edge IDs is crazy. Hope you like the H2A helmet, do you think the bottom opening is wide enough near the back?

-snip for space -

Congrats on building for 10 years! No edge IDs is crazy. Hope you like the H2A helmet, do you think the bottom opening is wide enough near the back?
I honestly had to for-go a few of the bands around the neck area otherwise my fat head wouldnt have fit

The V2 team smiled for the birdie. After finishing the #2 helmet on Saturday, many hours were spent learning more about materials (like combining multiple UV maps to create detail decals over generated materials instead of flat paint everywhere) and rigging/posing models better in blender to produce this glamour shot. Hope you dig it, nobles!

94849449-E99C-43A5-8879-3C2C033722C4.png

I honestly had to for-go a few of the bands around the neck area otherwise my fat head wouldnt have fit

Thanks for your response. I think the lower back portion of the helmet is more narrow than it should be due to perspective issues with my modeling reference photos. I don’t think your head (fat or otherwise) is the culprit.

TANGENTIAL ASIDE...

Viper Bravado 4 takes on first patrol. I animated a walk cycle for the #4-V2 rig. The 32 frame GIF will keep patrolling the grayscape until the end of time.

#4-walk-01-(0.04).gif

At the end of last year I made a goal to 3D print a crouching SPI figure a la the cover of Ghosts of Onyx. At the time the idea to revisit the Reach concept helmets wasn't a thing, and now that it's in the rear-view I'm pretty jazzed with those pieces. I decided to combine the goal with the concept work so I printed a crouching SPI with #4-V2 helmet. I'm drawn to the #4 helmet (have to fancy a defined jawline).

The figure stands (or rather, crouches) at about 4" tall and took 15 hours to print at a layer height of 0.14 mm. I use Cura to slice and went with its support which could probably be done more efficiently/effectively but it did the trick. A couple times the more narrow support towers would get tapped about by the print head (hitting small bits of deposited filament at the top of the tower) and in concern that they'd get knocked down I put a couple dabs of hot-glue to bolster them to other nearby parts.

Capture.PNG IMG_0957.JPG IMG_0962.JPG IMG_0961.JPG

After print completion, a pliers is effective in grabbing and removing big chucks of the support towers (which get built in sort of a compressed accordion pattern, so they sometimes pull of like an uncompressed accordion). After the big supports are out, a utility blade and exactor knife were used to cut or scrape off most of the remaining flashing. The figure can use more clean-up but I'm happy it came out the way it has, and I'm pleasantly surprised I was able to remove flashing from the gun handle and around the barrel without taking off some of the actual model (those parts are pretty thin). Below are some photos of the figure as it currently crouches.

IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0972.JPG

Is anyone else interested in (or planning on) using the concept helmets? I love the dudes from Viper Bravado (that's what I'm calling their squad now) and would love to see them Reach further deployment. Take care four-oh-five!

I'm psyched to have been able to improve upon the V1 versions and I feel the new helmets aren't too far removed from something one might have seen in Reach had different choices been made.

Well, it has been confirmed by 343i in there halo reach PC stream that there will be new, neverbefore seen armors in reach... maybe you'll get lucky? :)

I made an unfold for kat's/intruder helmet for an upcoming build, and I wanted to share it
I would recommend changing the layout of the pieces for printing and only printing one of the 2 halves and the center pices, since the helmet is perfectly symmetrical
Screenshot (81).png

Attachments

• halo-5-mjolnir-gen2-intruder-helmet-asset-mod-foam-unfold.pdo
    504.6 KB · Views: 317
I made an unfold for kat's/intruder helmet for an upcoming build, and I wanted to share it
I would recommend changing the layout of the pieces for printing and only printing one of the 2 halves and the center pices, since the helmet is perfectly symmetrical
View attachment 281300
Please post this in the Intruder Armor Discussion in the Halo 5 Armory Section. UPDATE Never mind i see this has been done already.

Last edited:
Thanks again danielix 96 for sharing your work with the community. I put some links at the beginning of this thread for anyone not crazed enough to slog through the little behemoth that this thread has become over the last 8 years. I'm looking forward to seeing your Kat build and hope it doesn't get shot down before its time (erh, that's a pretty bad Noble-2 pun, lo siento). And thanks Asgardianhammer for being diligent in preserving the armory for ease of access to users new and old.

I'm not a major fan of the Halo 5 designs (no judgement by me if they're your jam) but I do think the intruder helmet is very clean and a worthy update to Reach's air assault helmet. RIP Kat, remember Reach.

Sorry I haven't had much time to contribute more but I've been otherwise engaged. I check in from time to time and hope anyone reading this is finding success in their builds or is finding strife and deciding to soldier on regardless. Take care four-oh-five!

yes, this post is on April fool's day, but it's not actually a joke
I unfolded kelly's legends helmet for foam
it's a kid-size build... so you should check the helmet's scale before building
Screenshot (110).png

Attachments

• Foam Halo legends Kelly helmet.pdo
    337.7 KB · Views: 349
Dor the pepakura helmet. How do you suggest we scale it? I've tried to build it twice and both times Ive Made ir too small to the point the neck hole can't go over my head. Should we be scaling the neck hole to our ear width plus 4-5 cm?

You may need to cut the neck hole bigger than it is in the files. The helmet may be the correct size, but the neck hole can be too small.

I modified and softened some edges and unfolded Satchmo III 's halo 3 recon helmet for foam
as always, it's an absolute pleasure to unfold these models

1611472125963.png

Attachments

• Halo 3 recon (modeled by Satchmo III - unfolded by ODCA).pdo
    808.3 KB · Views: 208
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back