Moonwildflower's Mk Vi Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
DogWizard said:
You are quite welcome! :)

Any plans to try and hit DragonCon this year? We could certainly use some more Spartans...

I would love to go to DragonCon this year. Isn't it in Atlanta? Still seeing if I can go. My sister spartan whom I did this with is working then and I don't want to drive that distance alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
rundown said:
looks like you had fun^^.

More fun than I would care to admit. There is something special about being able to put on a helmet and become someone else. I wish that there was a way that I could wear my armor all of the time. But I'd need someone to help me with my shoes. lol

nynjamasta said:
what helmet and shade of white did kataroo use? I have fallen in love with her armer :love:

She used the CQB helmet. And the shade of white is a mixture of the satin and hammered whites from Rustoleum. The darker patches are dark grey auto primer for enhansing detail.
She eventually wants to add the other CQB permutations.

moonwildflower said:
She used the CQB helmet. And the shade of white is a mixture of the satin and hammered whites from Rustoleum. The darker patches are dark grey auto primer for enhansing detail.
She eventually wants to add the other CQB permutations.

saweet! thanks. :D

Thank you sooo much for all the information at A-kon! :lol: It was cool to see you two there as Spartans, and as much as I am afraid to try the task of creating Spartan armor, I think I will at least give the helmet a try, and see where it goes from there. Too bad I don't live near you, I would TOTALLY travel just to get some help in person haha!
I've started reading several of the stickies in the Noob forum, several tutorials, and have started making a list of supplies I need.
Quick question though... about how much would you say your armor cost to make?

Megatopsy said:
Thank you sooo much for all the information at A-kon! :lol: It was cool to see you two there as Spartans, and as much as I am afraid to try the task of creating Spartan armor, I think I will at least give the helmet a try, and see where it goes from there. Too bad I don't live near you, I would TOTALLY travel just to get some help in person haha!
I've started reading several of the stickies in the Noob forum, several tutorials, and have started making a list of supplies I need.
Quick question though... about how much would you say your armor cost to make?

Hmmm. At least $200? I could be off on that number because I was buying supplies for Kataroo's armor as well. And that's just for the basics. I used a cheap visor, $35 in fact. No lights yet and I need to add more fiberglass. But it should cost you less than $200 for your first set of armor. Of course, I did make several mistakes along the way and that takes up some funds too.

Okay.

Enough with the introductions. :p

I'm creating a list of what I need to accomplish and on what. I figure that if I put it up here on my thread, then I'll have everyone on the 405th to answer to if nothing gets done. So keep me to it!

Helmet:
-double visor
-more vents, fix other vents
-reinforce edges
-make visor flush edge
-fix tubing and foam edges
-led lights

Chest:
-improve rigging
-magnets for connection of bottom edges
-reinforce edges
-fix stomach plate connection
-foam inserts
-led lights

Shoulders:
-repair con damage
-improve rigging
-foam inserts improvment
-led lights

Gaunlets:
-repair con damage
-foam inserts improvment

Crotch:
-reinforce edges
-more detail
-magnet connection to line up edges

Thigh:
-remove underarmor fiberglass section and replace with something more durable
-trim bottom to increase movement
-more detail
-led lights

Shin:
-potentially remake from scratch from my own model
-more detail
-trim plunger socks to stop knee guard from hitting thigh peice

Shoe:
-make shoe more comfortable, potentially new shoe
-extend leather ribbing

Thats my list as of now. Might add more to it later. Otherwise, I will be updating it as I go along. If I can find the time, I hope to make some weapons too.

is all of that just stuff you are going to be doing with your armor that you have now? because that seems like it would be easier if you just make a new suit o_O

I'm going to make a suit that looks okay but really is just a piece of crap because i don't have a lot of money at the moment. and then, when im 18 and I can get a job i will make a real fancy one. This way I will learn from experience what is good and what isnt :D

nynjamasta said:
is all of that just stuff you are going to be doing with your armor that you have now? because that seems like it would be easier if you just make a new suit o_O

I'm going to make a suit that looks okay but really is just a piece of crap because i don't have a lot of money at the moment. and then, when im 18 and I can get a job i will make a real fancy one. This way I will learn from experience what is good and what isnt :D

It does seem daunting doesn't it? Alot of it are little things really. I took my time in the actual construction of the pepakura. It's just that some of the edges didn't get as much fiberglass as they probably needed. And I don't have all of the bells and whistles that others have. There will be a new suit in the future, I just want to see how far I can take this one right now. It's also my learning suit. :D

Whoa... that's quite a list. I'm sure you'll get it done faster than I can complete my second suit.

Also, how bad does your visor fog up? I see that you have vents much like Ender06's, so I'm curious on how much that helps.

Suit looks great! :)

Nice build wildflower. Man with a list like that she could project manage all our builds. Then we wouldn't have any excuses. lol
Can't wait to see the upgrade pics.

pooper said:
Whoa... that's quite a list. I'm sure you'll get it done faster than I can complete my second suit.

Also, how bad does your visor fog up? I see that you have vents much like Ender06's, so I'm curious on how much that helps.

Suit looks great! :)

I just need one good weekend to get all of this stuff done, maybe two. lol. Too bad that won't be for a month or so. With my brother graduating and family coming down, the house will be in an uproar for a while and I won't be allowed to sneak out to the garage. My grandmother will think I'm even weirder than she thought.

As for the fogging up, there is a bit. I have to hold back on the amount of open mouth breathing really. But that is just after I try to run in the armor to advoid being hit by cars. And that doesn't happen very often thankfully. Just at A-kon. Ender06 let me know that having the additional vents at the top helps even more, so I need to go grab my dremal and open those up.
A thought just occured to me. Maybe they also help you communicate better with those outside of your armor? Not sure really. I do know that my throat hurt after the first day. Of course, I was screaming at another person with a hemet on...

roguewarrior2001 said:
Nice build wildflower. Man with a list like that she could project manage all our builds. Then we wouldn't have any excuses. lol
Can't wait to see the upgrade pics.

Lol. Thanks.
List just help me visualize what I have to do next. If not, I start to freak out because I think I have too much to do. You should see the list that Kataroo made for both of us during the actual construction of the armor.
Also, I just like to cross things off. Makes me feel accomplished. :D

looks really good, i can sympathize with ya on the boots, i wasnt used to walking in mine when i got them finished (they were also a little too big) and i was strolling around our local mall all armored up and i kept kicking my shoes against each other, needless to say, they are pretty jacked up now.

good luck on the fix up parts, i was thinking bout that, but i decided it would just be better to rebuild my whole suit. hope yours comes out better

Syphon said:
looks really good, i can sympathize with ya on the boots, i wasnt used to walking in mine when i got them finished (they were also a little too big) and i was strolling around our local mall all armored up and i kept kicking my shoes against each other, needless to say, they are pretty jacked up now.

good luck on the fix up parts, i was thinking bout that, but i decided it would just be better to rebuild my whole suit. hope yours comes out better

Nice to see that someone else had trouble with their shoes. I know my shoes were too bit as well and I was forced to walk oddly from the get go. lol. My right big toe has been numb since friday night. Went to my chiropractor and he'll keep checking up on me about it.
I decided I'd rather try to improve and fix my stuff compared to building another suit because I'm still coming off the actual building stress from just a few weeks ago. Tinkering with the suit will give me some new stuff to do (I get bored easily and hate repeating the same taskes). If it becomes too much, then yea. I will create a new suit, or at least portions of a new suit.

BTW, how did you convince the mall cops to let you walk around in armor? I really want to do that.

i just walked in, we have a small mall, its only one story and 3 wings (more like long hallways) the only real problem i had was they wanted me to take my helmet off, and one of the guys who went with me told them he thought i had a gun (great friend huh?)

from what i can tell, thats all ya really have to do, most people are pretty cool about it, i know adam took his suit to walmart a while ago (liek a year-ish) and posted a vid on here somewhere, all he did was walk into walmart.

i would say go for it, the worst they could do is ask you to leave, and you still get kewl points for showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back