More Forum Name Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Made a number of changes today to the Costume and Props Section of the site. Still a few more to go before we are done... but we are getting there!

Now in response to the Elite Showcase.

First of all, okay fine, I don't mind that it was removed given that most the threads in it were in a state of disarray anyways.
I will also note that I completely and fully agree with everything that has been stated so far, especially what Arcanine has said in post #7.

I am glad to see that the Need Inspiration thread has been Stuck. If it was not, I certainly would have asked for it to be.

I do want to see a showcase on the forums of awesome builds that have been completed. They do serve as inspiration to others and as hosts to wealths of knowledge that you can take and apply to your own build.

I also agree that we really do need guidelines, and while I just read that Art is trying to come up with some guidelines, I had already started working on writing some up that I would like to share:

Legendary Build Showcase - The Guidelines
Legendary: the highest level of gameplay difficulty in all of the Halo games that is well known by the gamers that play them.
Completing a game on Legendary requires patience, skill, and sometimes running into a room repeatedly just trying to toss your grenades at some Elites.​

Those same principles are also required in order for a Build, whether it be costume or prop related, to become Legendary and become listed within the showcase.

You must show skill.
Not everyone's first build can be considered Legendary, for some it will take practice and several builds before you finally make something that it worthy of being legendary.

You must show patience.
The best builds often come from ones that are not rushed.
Upon completing your build, you will submit it to be reviewed for Legendary status. If you are denied, there will be a 3 month waiting period before you can resubmit it for review.

You must serve as Human Fodder.
...okay, you don't need to be fodder to Covenant forces in real life, but you will be fodder to the opinions and reviews of your peers.
If you want your build thread to become Legendary, it must be full of updates showing your progress along the way while you work on your build. You cannot simply just post the pictures of your finished build and expect it to be Legendary. We want to see you create something from nothing and detail how how got to where you did.
Including details on the tools you used, materials you used, your techniques, as well as possibly new experimental techniques that others have not yet tried will all be things your peers will look for.
While it is important to have a costume that looks good, it is also very important to essentially serve as a tutorial for other builders to follow.

@ All Members, while you can post within a thread and encourage someone saying that they have your vote for legendary once they complete their build, DO NOT simply post in the thread asking for the moderators to move the thread to Legendary.
The showcase will no longer function like that and instead a new system will be put in place.

Requirements:
• Your Build must be Completed, not simply a work in progress.
• Your thread must indicate "[Completed]" in its title when you have completed it.
• Your thread must contain both an update within the thread that contains a set of GOOD pictures of your completed build as well as at least 1 picture edited/added in the thread's OP showing the completed build.
• Your thread must include information in the OP and preferably the Title on whether or not it is a Scratch build, a Template (Pepakura/Foam) Build, or a Pepakura build.

Once the above has been set in place, the creator of the thread can choose to submit their build thread to be reviewed for approval/denial to be placed within the Legendary Build Showcase.
(Of course there will be a button that says "Are you sure you want to submit your thread for Legendary status?")​

The Approval Process:
While your thread is pending approval, it will be marked/highlighted indicating that it is under review.
A thread/poll/tool will be created for your Build thread (maybe not a new thread altogether, but perhaps something that is in some way attached to the build thread without it entirely being a new thread itself.)
During a period of [yet to be determined] users and moderators will get to vote and share their opinions on whether or not your build thread is worthy of making it into the Legendary Build Showcase. (Votes and opinions may or may not be open/public). The worthiness of the Build Thread must be emphasized, because it isn't just the build itself that will decide whether or not it is legendary; how the thread is conducted will play a key role on deciding whether or not something is Legendary.

Iron Skull = On: If your thread does not reach the number of required approval votes (determined by the site activity at the time), permission to resubmit for the Legendary Showcase will be removed for 3 months. During the 3 months, you have the opportunity to go back a checkpoint and try to rework and improve your thread for when the permission to submit your thread returns to you. At that time, you may choose to submit your thread once again, but you also have the option not to submit it if you choose not to.

Guidelines:
• Does the thread include periodic updates showing progress of the build? Do the updates include pictures?
• Is there a link provided that lists all images at a secondary location in the off-chance that the 405th does somehow lose its images once again?
• Does the thread show that improvements were made to the build in the course of its completion?
• Are the tools that were used for your build depicted/listed somewhere within the thread?
• Are the materials that were used for your build depicted/listed somewhere within the thread? Were links provided as to where you could buy them?
• Are the techniques that were used for your build mentioned/discussed somewhere within the thread?
• Were any new experimental techniques used in the creation of the build and were they mentioned/discussed somewhere within the thread?
• Did the creator of the thread answer questions asked by other members prior to it being completed?
• Does the build (whether it be Costume or Prop) look amazing?

Top Examples:
LilTyrant's "KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit": http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35790-KAT-ARMOR-BUILD-with-custom-undersuit
Carpathia's Mk VI Armor: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...k-VI-Armor-Master-Chief-Going-into-Cryostasis!
RoxyRoo's Reach Build: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34127-RoxyRoo-s-Reach-Build-Undersuit/page22
Needs a completed picture added into the OP, but otherwise is good.​
LongShot-X's Mark VI HD MJOLNIR Armor: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25298-LongShot-X-s-Mark-VI-HD-MJOLNIR-Armor-WIP
I am fairly certain that LongShot-X has finished his build and he simply hasn't changed the title from WIP to Completed-- you don't post that many pictures of a build that looks complete and not call it completed.​

Remember, these are just something I thought up.
Please feel free to share your opinion on what you think of the guidelines for the Legendary Showcase that I wrote up!!! :)

I guess now is a good a time as any to ask...
If we finish our builds but are the type of people that might always consider our projects as "works in progress" because we constantly improve upon them, what should we do?

For example, I'm planning my reach build. The first level of the build will likely involve me making Reach-specific armor only, but I have already planned on having a 2nd undersuit and making custom and concept pieces to be interchangeable with the original suit.

Are my upgrades to be considered as extra to the original part of the build or is my build not finished until I have them done too, or should they be considered separate entirely and have a thread devoted only to them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Art, in the past we simply started a thread for when we planned a particular gaming session. For now a single thread would probably suffice and anyone who wanted to keep up with who's playing when could just subscribe to it. It was just a suggestion for the future, since gaming sessions can be a lot of fun. I figured a sub-forum tucked away somewhere to keep the threads all in one place would work fine.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back