Movie Accurate Iron Man Mk 3, Mk 6 Helmet And Armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this is a great build so smooth and the eyes look great. How is looking through the eyes with the leds on? is blinding?

Saber1138 said:
2%20015.JPG
2%20016.JPG
2%20017.JPG
2%20018.JPG
2%20020.JPG
2%20021.JPG

Here, 90% of the symmetry issues have been resolved, as well as edges around the facplate. I've reinforced the eyes internally for easy mounting and cleanliness of my lighting system. I considered EL lighting for a while, but decied on LED's due to their intensity. The eyes really stand out even in broad daylight! Unfortunately, being the nittpicker I am there is still work to be done before this helmet recieves its final stages of paint, and MOLDING begins.... FUN!

!

are you going to be able to see while wearing the helmet? if so how are you going to do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Saber1138 said:
Here is a compilation of differant Helmet Pep files. As I stated earlier I used Dungbeetle's letter, but I have heavily had to modify it. Lavren's file is the best in my opinion, and with elements taken from Dung's new file (included) such as the lower portion of the back It could be the Best.

http://www.4shared.com/file/owkmGmge/Iron_man_Helmet_Files.html

LOOKS GREAT. WILL YOU BE POSTING THE HINGE MECHANISM?

Saber1138 said:
I decided to Fiberglass the inside for support, and bondo the outside in order to later add details. I've had quite the amount of bondo experience so I dove in section by section. However, due to time, and work I will use a thick exterior coating of fiberglass resin. This can be achieved by adding Thixotropic silica to the resin before adding the hardener, making a paste. The only downside will be harder surfaces to sand, but if you apply evenly and in sections with patience you can get great results.[attachment=16370:053.JPG][attachment=16371:054.JPG][attachment=16372:057.JPG][attachment=16374:059.JPG][attachment=16375:060.JPG]

HOW MANY LAYERS OF BONDO AND SANDING DO YOU NORMALLY DO TO GET EVERYTHING SMOOTH?

@Pog1

Wow triple post dude, try compacting everything in one post and dont reply directly to posts with more than 3 picutres.uses more net.

And don;t use caps, it rude. Otherwise, very nice helmet! the left side seems to bulge out more... I think your pep was warped and that made the "dome" uneven. Keep comin!

Boba Fett said:
And don;t use caps, it rude. Otherwise, very nice helmet! the left side seems to bulge out more... I think your pep was warped and that made the "dome" uneven. Keep comin!

Sorry guys. i'm at work and caps lock is still on. i'm new here so i'm not really familiar with at the tricks of the forums. my apologies.

Just thought I'd let you know that I've modified Dungbeetle's original helmet to be a little more screen accurate and it's available in my thread linked to in my signature. Your helmet is looking great so far, though.

p0g1 said:
Sorry guys. i'm at work and caps lock is still on. i'm new here so i'm not really familiar with at the tricks of the forums. my apologies.

It's all right, we were all once noobs. But consider this a lesson, some people aren't as nice as me and flame like a troll . ( see what i did there).

gmstrowabarton said:
Wow this is a great build so smooth and the eyes look great. How is looking through the eyes with the leds on? is blinding?

The LED's are fluch against the inside of the eye. The back of the eye is covered, and the entire interior of the helmet is black so all you can seen when wearing from the inside is the eyelets. the eyelets are only about 1/8" wide, which surprisingly enough still manages to allow for a good range of vision!

Boba Fett said:

Originally Yes the helmat was slightly warped, however I added at leat 1/4" of bondo to all surface areas except the left and evened out then entire symmetry issues. Now it may just appear that way due to poor iPhone camera, and quick photo snappiong. I will be getting a new camera soon, in which case all pictures will be more composed, and better in quality.

p0g1 said:
HOW MANY LAYERS OF BONDO AND SANDING DO YOU NORMALLY DO TO GET EVERYTHING SMOOTH?

The answers, are here just read more carefully. I also answered one of your question in a more recent post.

Vaulter85 said:
The helm looks awesome man, great work! Do you plan on doing the whole suit at some point?

Thanks, also I'm already in Stage 3 of the Chest, Back Abs, and Flpas.

1%20002.JPG
1%20004.JPG
1%20005.JPG
1%20003.JPG

Faceplate has been painted gold, with several layers of polyurethane clear coat buff out after. Also edges around the eyes have been detailed in black. The eye lenses have also been installed.

How do you do the eyes lens and still see out without damaging your eyes? You mentioned that the led are flush with the eyes but how does that keep you from looking straight into the leds?

This looks awesome! The faceplate is sooo smooth! :) My only critique: If you really want to floor people with the attention to detail, you should sand smooth the inner rims of the eyes. They're the only thing that looks out of place.

Edit: Sorry! I think the pics on your most recent update post didn't load for me. The eye rims now look great! You're really doing a great job with detailing and surface finishing. ;)

1%20009.JPG
1%20007.JPG
2%20001.JPG
2%20003.JPG
2%20006.JPG
2%20007.JPG
3%20001.JPG
3%20002.JPG

Ive glue my LEDs to the Lenses, and inserted into the Eye socket. A simple on/ff switch was added into my lighting configuration as well. Meanwhile The helmet is in the first stage of getting it's final paint scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back