Movie Quality Jorge Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I think that's done it... I've seen this foam carving technique before but, after seeing this thread, I think I really need to try it now. On top of the foam, that's just fg resin and Bondo, right?

Woah, simple solution. High density foam is quite expensive, from what I understand, so that tip just opened up an enormous gate of opportunity.

Is the resin affecting the foam at all? I suppose ShadowKat's question is pretty important - whether or not it's regular fibreglass resin.

Sweet avatar by the way! Is that you????

I think in one of his pictures there was a can of normal fiberglass resin in the background, BUT that doesn't necessarily mean thats what he used... lol. I've got tons of spare materials in my workspace, but I don't use everything all the time.

I think in one of his pictures there was a can of normal fiberglass resin in the background, BUT that doesn't necessarily mean thats what he used... lol. I've got tons of spare materials in my workspace, but I don't use everything all the time.

I am jealous of everybody with a workspace/garage/shop/etc.

I have a kitchen table, a floor, and cardboard.

I'm slowly doing my own Jorge armor, and will be watching this one closely. I had thought briefly about the floral foam at one point, and can not, for the life of me, remember why I didn't follow up on it.

Very nice work, sir.

Why is this in the noob forum?
It wouldn't let me post in the molded armor forum
You know, I think that's done it... I've seen this foam carving technique before but, after seeing this thread, I think I really need to try it now. On top of the foam, that's just fg resin and Bondo, right?
Just Bondo Brand Fiberglass From Canadian Tire and the Body Filler. If your wondering what damages foam its acetone, its not too bad on floral foam but spray paint and pure acetone will melt polystyrene (High Density Foam Insulation sheets). But that can be countered with a few Coats of Smooth on then a Rough sanding with 80 grit to give the body filler something to stick to.
Sweet avatar by the way! Is that you????
Nope, That is the photo that made me finialy decide to go to school for makeup and props. (now my avatar is me) And I have a Workshop because I need it for work. :)

And just because lookit what I got my hands on and I'm refinishing
prop012.jpg

This is such an odd/different/out of the ordinary build thread. It's amazing what your doing here. The process seems SO involved. I feel like I'm witnessing yet another eveolution in the way these armors are made. The first time I saw the EVA foam used to make studio armor, I had the same feeling...like I WAS PRIVVY to the beginning of something special. Good work.
p.s. MOAR PICS PLZ

It wouldn't let me post in the molded armor forum

Just Bondo Brand Fiberglass From Canadian Tire and the Body Filler. If your wondering what damages foam its acetone, its not too bad on floral foam but spray paint and pure acetone will melt polystyrene (High Density Foam Insulation sheets). But that can be countered with a few Coats of Smooth on then a Rough sanding with 80 grit to give the body filler something to stick to.

Nope, That is the photo that made me finialy decide to go to school for makeup and props. (now my avatar is me) And I have a Workshop because I need it for work. :)

And just because lookit what I got my hands on and I'm refinishing
prop012.jpg

Sir, you are defacing a collectable monument.... >(

ahh what the hell nobody cares... good luck.

Sir, you are defacing a collectable monument.... >(

ahh what the hell nobody cares... good luck.

I'm glad you decided to read the part about him restoring it. If we left all of our great achievements go without restoration they would be gone in fractions of a generation. Dirt is deceivingly efficient at destroying, well, anything. Besides, original is great but not if it's imperfect. Ruins the majesty.

I'm glad that you're restoring it. Can I ask how you came about getting a hold of it?

So, not a lot on Jorge has been done due to a few friends nagging at me to finish my ODST helmet and Battle Rifle
prop023-1.jpg

prop025.jpg

But this is what has been done
prop016-1.jpg

prop018-1.jpg

I also looked into what two way mirrored plastics are available and sadly, no gold, can only get it in silver. So I'm now looking at a few optical places to actually polarize the visor in a gold tint so I can still mold and vacuform it. I've got a few sample pieces sent out currently and should hear back on the end of the week, I also decided to hold off starting to sculpt the helmet until the boot and thigh are at least finished. I don't want to have too many parts started at once.

Where is it that you went to school?
I went to Vancouver Film School, Did the Makeup and Design For Film and Television program. They do NOT teach how to make rigid props and armor, just makeup and animatronics. I just took what I learned and applied it to armor as a hobby as well as doing makeup and effects.

Awesome looking bulding skills! How many coats of resin do you apply before bondoing? Do you use poly resin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back