My custom reach build; Spartan 151!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello once again 405th! Today I begin my WIP thread of my custom reach build for you all. Suggestions, tips, criticism, I'm open to hear what ever you have to throw my way to help better my build

Progress
Helmet: Painted, waiting on LEDs
Chest: Painted, waiting on LEDs
Cod: Painted, needs padding
Shoulders: Painted, needs buckles to hook onto bicep
Biceps: Painted
Forearms: Painted
Hands: Painted and added on the gloves
Thighs: Painted waiting on LEDs
Knees: Painted
Shins: Painted
Boots: Painted, put together

My goal is October 27th!!! In the next 10 weeks I will have this suit built no matter what! And you, the viewer, will get to watch my every success and failure :p I have a schedule written up and if all goes as planned I'll be done 3 weeks shy of my due date, which is handy because I will be helping my girlfriend with her build as I do mine! So 2 Spartans in 10 weeks... It'll be rough but hey the end result is always worth it.

Here's what I plan on having built:
me.png

And finally what everyone has come here for, pictures!!!
009.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg
I added some tape to help get rid of some warping I have in my bicep pieces.

Again, suggestions/tips/criticism let me hear it all :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work so far! You've got more done then I do (sad face). With warping I've read popsickle sticks or thin dowels work well. Oh and one more thing *subscribed*.!

Couple quick questions? Are you assembling your peps with tape? Are you planning on resining/fiberglassing your armor to harden it?

Couple quick questions? Are you assembling your peps with tape? Are you planning on resining/fiberglassing your armor to harden it?

I'm using Super Gorilla and tape. See some pieces just don't like to stick within the span of my patience so I'll tape it to hold it in place until it decides to stay put. More recently I have moved to solely using tape though due to the speed increase. And yes I do plan on doing a few coats of resin on the outside then fiberglass on the inside.

Whatever works for you go with it. The calender idea is a good one, just hope you're able to get all of it done on your time frame. Carry on Spartan!

Seth

Are you positive? I was hoping to get a quick coat of resin to hold it together and then fiberglass it all

The adhesive in tape reacts badly to fiberglass resin (trust me, I've seen this first hand, and it has ruined some of my work in the past). Your pep may not fall completely apart, but a good portion of the tape will start to come up and it will make a heck of a mess for you to clean up later. Best to just glue everything. What you could do, assuming that you have applied no tape on the inside, is resin the inside first, then go through and remove the tape on the exterior and apply a layer of resin on the outside. This will save you from having to start over. If you have put any tape on the inside, however, you'll have to remove that before applying any resin.

Taping may save some time in the beginning, but it adds a ton of time later on due to the need to clean up or repair.

The adhesive in tape reacts badly to fiberglass resin (trust me, I've seen this first hand, and it has ruined some of my work in the past). Your pep may not fall completely apart, but a good portion of the tape will start to come up and it will make a heck of a mess for you to clean up later. Best to just glue everything. What you could do, assuming that you have applied no tape on the inside, is resin the inside first, then go through and remove the tape on the exterior and apply a layer of resin on the outside. This will save you from having to start over. If you have put any tape on the inside, however, you'll have to remove that before applying any resin.

Taping may save some time in the beginning, but it adds a ton of time later on due to the need to clean up or repair.

My question is, would it be safe if I taped and glued at the same time? See what I've done for a handful of pieces is glue and then use tape to hold it until the glue sticks. If I'm still screwed then would sloshing a layer of rondo on the inside of those pieces be a good alternatie to the fiberglass?

P.S. update with pictures soon

Check here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...-Chief-**-A-Step-By-Step-Tutorial-(My-Way)-**

Most people use Rondo instead of fiberglass (I don't, just saying). Resin will chew through the tape like a boss I've heard. There's many different ways to assemble pepakura, not just using hot glue. Some people use plain glue: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...3-Build-Carpathia-s-Mk-VI-Armor-(Lots-of-Pics!)

Carpathiavh99 does, somewhere through the thread he states which glue he uses.

I hope this atones for telling you to do whatever works for you, I meant it as "If the resin will work with it- go with it".

Hope this helps any bit.

Seth

Update time! Since my last picture post I've pepped my waist, other shin, and both shoulders, and I'm 2/3rds of the way done with the helmet. But less talk more pics!
014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

Good bit of progress. If you've glued and taped in order to keep it in place, then you should very easily be able to go back and remove the tape, now that the glue is dried. I've actually done that for a few joints during the pepping of some of my pieces. I just make sure that there is no tape on the piece before I start resining.

And as Seth mentions, when I pep I only use elmer's white glue. I actually think that using hot glue for pepping is a terrible idea, but I've argued my point too many times elsewhere and won't go into it here.

And as Seth mentions, when I pep I only use elmer's white glue. I actually think that using hot glue for pepping is a terrible idea, but I've argued my point too many times elsewhere and won't go into it here.
I've been using gorilla super glue. I always thought that Elmer's glue would take FOREVER I hol since this super glue is insanely strong it just takes a second to hold.

Great looking progress so far. I don't know if you'd be interested, but I have a more detailed Cod piece file and a boot shell file that isn't in pieces if you'd like to look at them to see if you could use them. I think I need to renew my 4shared account though, because paypal keeps telling me that there is a problem with 4shared's account and it wouldn't auto renew. Let me know if you could use them, and keep up the good work.

Looking good man. Thought I would mention the glue I use is a quick setting fabric tacky glue from wal mart. It's pretty cheap and literally sets in less than 10 seconds. Honestly my biggest problem with it is just wasting too much before I get it applied. It's great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back