My first attempt at Mk VI armor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's some wicked ODST armor you got! The red visor really adds to look. You're churning out armor really fast. I'm looking forward to more updates.

Thanks! Well, now that the ODST is "done" (still need to work on getting it dialed in when for when I wear it...) my Mk VI will be getting some much-needed love. Oh, and the MA5C is getting a new paintjob :)

Wow man all the pretty things! lol
Everything is looking good, i love that ODST visor. makes me want one now except maybe a dark purple or something. keep up the good work,

I feel you on the weather man. I'm in the panhandle so I know how uncooperative this weather has been lately. You're work looks great, keep it up.

I love finding fellow 501st troopers on here! Which garrison are you in? All those odsts are an awesome sight. Your odst looks awesome with that red too

Nice! Dewback Ridge Garrison :) Off topic from Halo, do you like your AP bucket? I have an FX for my TD and it feels too big, and not close the accurate.

Nice! Dewback Ridge Garrison :) Off topic from Halo, do you like your AP bucket? I have an FX for my TD and it feels too big, and not close the accurate.

Actually, my armor is RT-Mod - fits great! Got any garrison/squad stickers/patches? Trade ya if you do :)

Ok, Mk VI is getting its much needed love these days! Inspired by looking over at Carpathia's build, I picked up on his technique for putting down mat board and bondo-ing around it. My chest is from a LD file, so I need to add as much detail as I can get! I started off using mat board for the "H"'s on the back:

NCM_0190_zpsem5jo1zx.jpg

But, after removing the mat board, I decided to give more depth so I cut some EVA foam into the shapes and put those down. I originally glued down the mat board with E6000 and added a little duct tape "tab" so I could pull it back up. With the foam, I just put it in the existing groove and pushed down with one hand while spreading bondo with the other - gave me the depth I was looking for!

NCM_0195_zpsk93cjumg.jpg

On the front part of the chest I just laid down the bondo thick around where the buckles go and am sanding them to shape:

NCM_0193_zpsyygxunxd.jpg

And for the top "vents" I used foam cut outs again. Just held them in place long enough to get some bondo down, waited till it started to cure and pulled them out:

NCM_0192_zpslzctvzvr.jpg

I whittled away some of the excess with a razor blade while it was still "rubber-y". I am starting to get to a point that I am getting the bondo/hardener ratio correct and know just how much time I have to put it down before it isn't usable anymore :)

In other news, I realized that I cut my inner thigh padding too short on the ends, so those are being re-done. So, I'm using the old foam that already has plasti-dip on it to make the "vents" down the middle of the back:

NCM_0188_zpswllm1cu4.jpg

Still much more to come - stay tuned!

Actually, my armor is RT-Mod - fits great! Got any garrison/squad stickers/patches? Trade ya if you do :)

Ok. When I get money I'm buying a new bucket. I only have one DRG patch right now, but I'm buying more soon. I'll hit you up when I do! No better time to start trading than the present ;)

Back on a Halo note your bondo job is looking real good! Obviously not your first time working with bondo

Obviously not your first time working with bondo

Heh...I started my Mk VI almost a year & a half ago...it has been on the job training, coupled with everything I learned and continued to learn on these forums :)

I have some CTX Squad patches & stickers for Garrison & Squad - PM me your addy & I'll send a couple your way!

Wow man all the pretty things! lol
Everything is looking good, i love that ODST visor. makes me want one now except maybe a dark purple or something. keep up the good work,

Thanks - it is one of Sean Bradley's visors, so it isn't a "perfect" fit...but I made it work. The rest of my squad is sporting blue visors, so I thought i'd be different :p

I feel you on the weather man. I'm in the panhandle so I know how uncooperative this weather has been lately. You're work looks great, keep it up.

Yeah, I am (obviously) taking advantage of low-humidity days to get a lot of bondo work done - sanding can be done in any weather!

I took the ODST to Comicpalooza for the day and had a little fun:

IMG_7727346779345_zpskwqyrijc.jpe

ODST_CP2014_2_zps0ef59412.jpg

In this one I realized that I need to do something about the H-harness sliding off of my shoulder:

ODST_CP2014_1_zps2efddfb1.jpg

That and I must say those LEDs on the side of the MA5 are BRIGHT!

But, back home, still working on the Mk VI - cutting out new inner thigh padding - the old set is too short and pulls out of the opening...

NCM_0208_zpstylawrfb.jpg

I will be sealing them with white glue tonight and hopefully get some plasti-dip on them by the weekend.

And just for shits & giggles, I picked up one of these:

NCM_0202_zpsijngfajs.jpg

Not as fancy as one of Sean Bradley's kits, but won't break if I drop it...and probably safer than the pepakura one I made (which still isn't assembled...)

Stay tuned!

Still having fun sanding & filling - RTX is less than 2 weeks away...

In other news, here is the trailer for the fan film I am in - enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see youre still plugging away at it. The trailer seemed interesting :)
was that you walking around or one of your squad because of the blue visor?

Your ODST armor seems to fit you really well. You pull it off nicely.
How are things going with the Mark VI armor?

Question: Did you use a tutorial for the electronics for your assault rifle or anything? I would love some details on how you accomplished the counter and how to get the right font for the digital numbers.

Glad to see youre still plugging away at it. The trailer seemed interesting :)
was that you walking around or one of your squad because of the blue visor?

Thanks - that was one of my squad - I didn't receive my armor until after we had finished shooting.

Your ODST armor seems to fit you really well. You pull it off nicely.
How are things going with the Mark VI armor?

Question: Did you use a tutorial for the electronics for your assault rifle or anything? I would love some details on how you accomplished the counter and how to get the right font for the digital numbers.

Thanks! I like the ODST a lot - since I have only trooped in it once it still needs some tweaking. I did fix the H-harness so it doesn't slide off of my shoulder, but need to attach the ab plate to the belt buckle and bring them closer together...which will also pull the neck plate away from my throat so i can breathe! :)

I am still making progress on the Mark VI - sand/fill/sand/fill is not going as quickly as I would like, and the afternoon heat/humidity doesn't make for a work environment conducive to much progress. That and family obligations on weekends kind of eat up the time...but, I think I'll be "finished" (read - everything will have green paint on it ;) ) by RTX.

You can get the electronics kit from Dustin Westaby. I can PM you the web address for his on-line store (I don't think we're supposed to link to them in threads...). I think there is a "tutorial" thread for adding the kit and a sound card - I'll see if I can find it & link it here, or at least point you in the right direction :)

Found the website, so no need for a PM, you gave me all I needed to find the shop quickly via google.
As for the tutorial, I'd definitely appreciate a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back