My First Build, Let's Start Small... (Jorge DONE, Heavy Machine Gun WIP, Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, the armour is coming along very nicely! I'm excited to see another spartan at Fan Expo! This is going to rock!

Man, the armour is coming along very nicely! I'm excited to see another spartan at Fan Expo! This is going to rock!

Thanks Miky. I'm looking forward to seeing you there. We'll have some epic pics. It's only one week away now! I wish I were in the same boat as you: fully completed. I got the knee and front part of one shin done last night. I know I'll be able to have each piece made, but I think there will be a lot that I won't be able to do that I wanted to.

I always enjoy reading positive feedback, but having the honour of it being your very first post? That puts a big smile on my face. Thanks man.

Well when the armor is as OMFGYOULOOKHUGEFTW...Than it deserves praise.And i guess posting your first comment in a forum is the equivalent to loosing your virginity...lol that sounds weird.BUT NO PROBLEM!!! :D :D :D

Dude! For some reason I missed this thread. You have my attention, the suit looks great. I love the weathering & colors you've got going on. Looks very close to the game colors. Love it!

-Tony

I love you're armor man. I just convinced my friend to start making armor and he's also making Jorge so i can't wait to see it finished

VERY SEXY. SEXY IT IS VERY! I can't wait to see you at FanExpo11' :D I'm also attending - ODST trooper - With help from MikyVengeance :D Really love the updates and your work! Keep it up!

Welcome to Noble Spartan.....looks sick bro, with some hard work anything is possible. Keep it up!!

Helmet Is Done

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. Once I started painting everything started becoming "real" to me, so I understand the sudden surge of comments. No one really cares too much about pep pieces, it's all about the finished product, baby.

VERY SEXY. SEXY IT IS VERY! I can't wait to see you at FanExpo11' :D I'm also attending - ODST trooper - With help from MikyVengeance :D Really love the updates and your work! Keep it up!

It'll be awesome to see you there. My friend built a cardboard ODST suit for Halloween last year, but he didn't want to wear it for Fan Expo because he didn't think it would look very good next to mine. He'll be so jealous of yours.

Yesterday I did some cutting. I started with this:
IMG_0018.jpg

Cut it down to this:
IMG_0019.jpg

And then made it into this:
IMG_0025.jpg

It's epoxy glued in. I was considering mounting it with screws, but I don't ever plan on replacing it, since it's only my first helmet. Plus I thought I could get a better seal this way. There were some gaps still, but the dual layer pieces helped fill those.

IMG_0027.jpg

It's not completely game accurate, but it was the best I could do with the excess pieces I had.

I also epoxy'd on the UA:
IMG_0026.jpg

Any keen observer may have noticed something else is different about the front of my helmet:
IMG_0021.jpg

The sunken panels on the mouth area are now black, but I did not paint them. I cut them out and put a piece of t-shirt over them. Now they're ventilation. I was going to install a fan in the back of the helmet, but I don't have the time to figure out how I'd rig that up. For now these vents at least keep the visor from fogging up and ake my voice easier to hear.

I also padded the inside with memory foam, but I didn't line it with anything, so it's kind of unsightly. No one can see it anyway, and if I ever do put a fan in it'll be easier to make room for it.

So, my helmet is officially finished!

Man just saw the armor, thats freakin great man!i like the cardboard reinforcing. . .never thought about it, never saw it applied! i like it.and i read the part when the plaster stuff ate away at the foam. you should probably look up all the things that do that, cuz alot of things eat at foam. and just one point criticism, the shoulder pieces, well your left one, look a little low. easily fixed right?

i like those twists that make it not game exact, gives it character, and some personality

loving your build! It really is looking epic!

I like the t-shirt idea... might have to use that on my security helm vents.

Keep it up!!!

Wow, dude, just wow. It's looking great, and make me want to do some more touch ups on mine!

I like what you did with the visor, and the extra little pieces is a great idea. Mind if I "borrow" it? :)

So did the tooth paste method work well for the painting? How did you get them to look more like irregular paint chips with rough edges as opposed to blobs?

It'll be awesome to see you there. My friend built a cardboard ODST suit for Halloween last year, but he didn't want to wear it for Fan Expo because he didn't think it would look very good next to mine. He'll be so jealous of yours.

Hahaha. Awww he should of just wear it for the heck of it. Join in the fun yknow? We'll have to wait and see. As of right now im hauling arse to get things done since this was last minute for me, but nonthe less im making pretty smooth progress. :D Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back