My first foam build [[Reach Armor WIP]] Pic Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, I sort of noticed this and I've been wondering... Why aren't you infantryman yet? You're past 100 posts, heck you're past 150! Has something changed in the rules? Just been wondering...

To be honest, I don't even know what the rules are for Infantryman status. I was thinking that I would most likely remain a noob until I had actually completed a project. Since I still need to make the handplates and complete the helmet and paint everything this project is only 85% complete. I'm still chugging along though! I re-worked the ab plate on the chest piece and built the spine and also covered the cod with craft foam to add more detail.

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

I've been bondoing and sanding like a madman as well. I'll post more pics of the helmet as I get further along.

Thanks for looking!

wow this is incredible!
The cod piece turned out really nicely and the weather looks great!

Thanks! I've had the chest painted and hanging out in the garage for a few weeks now but I wasnt satisfied with it so I decided to finish it up. I have some decal sheets so I can add the correct stenciling and UNSC logos to it. It's going to get another paint job soon.

That is awesome!!!! the paint job makes it look so real, you can't even tell its foam!

Thanks! I'm hoping that once the entire suit is complete and painted that you won't be able to tell it's foam.

Really nice job man

Thank you sir! I just wish I had someone here in NC that I could work on this with. I envy you and Mike being able to hang out and work on your projects together.

Wow! Looking solid! Great work!

Looking awesome!!!!! Love the color scheme and the weathering you have done. Keep it up!!!

I appreciate the compliments!

This looks great, man. Does that side pouch on the belt/codpiece open at all or is it just for show?

If only I had thought to do that before I made the thing. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Perhaps the next suit will have lots of compartments for storage. I am planning on making the thigh pouch as close to the game as possible, which means a trip to the fabric store for some accurate fabric. I think the pouch looks like it may be made out of a thick leather which I can't sew, but I'll pick up something that's darn close.

With some luck, I can have the helmet completed in the next couple of weeks and definately over the Christmas break. I never would have believed that I could have accomplished as much as I have since I started this back in October. I owe most of the inspiration to this great community so to that I say "Thank you."

Thank you sir! I just wish I had someone here in NC that I could work on this with. I envy you and Mike being able to hang out and work on your projects together.

I know what you mean. Me and Mike used to have a lot of time to be able to get together and work on our projects but he has moved further away and I am always busy so don't hang out as much now. I think I am going to have to train up a new recruit once he moves even further away with the RAF.

Progress update.

I've been working on the helmet for a while now and I have a few progress pics to share.

Here's the helmet as it sits right now. I still have at least 3 or 4 more coatings of bondo to smooth on and sand off. There are several low spots that need raising but I am relatively happy with much of the detail work.

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

I still need to spot micro coat the detail on the front of the helmet and then spot putty, and then I'll give it a quick splash of primer to locate any further areas that need attention. I am pretty happy with the sharpness of the angles in these tight spots.

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

Here's a spot where I must have had a very high ridge or fold in the pep stage. In order to get this area symmetrical with the opposing side, I had to sand it until I can see through the fiberglass to the inside of the helmet. I plan on slapping some more resin and glass on this spot from the inside to reinforce it.

IMG_1196.jpg

I need a coat or 2 more on the visor edging as well, but I'm pretty happy with the symmetry and the angles.

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

I have a great deal of shaping to do to the "nose" before it's anywhere near complete, and I think I will have to add some more reinforcement to the back since this will float in front of the visor once I get to that point.

IMG_1199.jpg

And I thought I might give you all a shot of my absolute favorite tool that I've used for most of this process. It's a square-headed mini file. The edges are sharp enough so that I can use any side to scrape away material quickly and evenly. And I can also file from any angle and in nearly any direction.

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

Here's hoping that I can get the helmet completed during the holiday break.

Thanks for looking!

Hey ghost!

Quick question. When using the craft foam how do you go about choosing how much craft foam the piece should get. Im looking at your cod piece and it stands out when you see grey. Im trying to get a similar effect

looking good buddy, think this maybe worthy a move to elite once your all done

Thanks for the compliment! I dont think any of my work is Elite worthy yet, but I hope to get better and be able to produce something in the future that can be listed among the greats.

I know what you mean. Me and Mike used to have a lot of time to be able to get together and work on our projects but he has moved further away and I am always busy so don't hang out as much now. I think I am going to have to train up a new recruit once he moves even further away with the RAF.

I'll volunteer to be an overseas apprentice!

The cod came out looking really good. Paint on the Torso makes it all come together. Great job man.

Thanks! When I get the whole suit painted up I'll probably wear it around the house for hours just basking in the awesomeness! Hehe.

Looking good, man! I especially liked the spine piece, keep up the awesomeness!

This is some really fantastic work with foam. Thats just awesome. Keep it coming!

Sweet build! Loving the helmet so far!

Thanks gang!

Hey ghost!

Quick question. When using the craft foam how do you go about choosing how much craft foam the piece should get. Im looking at your cod piece and it stands out when you see grey. Im trying to get a similar effect

I usually use the craft foam to cover seams and rough built sections of a piece. Any pieces that need an extra bit of detail or that need added depth get a treatment of craft foam. I also just add what I think will make the piece pop more. Personal tastes come into play alot.

Ghost,

looks amazing bud! I can see now your pep/bondo skills keep up with your foam work. That helmet looks great.

The helmet has been sanded with only 80 grit paper so far so I know it still looks real rough. I'm looking forward to seeing what it will look like when I hit it with some 220. I also cant wait til I cut out the paper visor so I can see what the helmet looks like on my head.

I should have some updates either later this evening or tomorrow sometime.

Thanks again for looking!

Those are some great pics of the JFO helmet. I am currently working on one of my own and it is always helpful to see how others have made their own.

I'll volunteer to be an overseas apprentice!

I'm not going anywhere for a while and I'm moving back closer soon! However a 3rd member of our nerd team would be nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back