My first foam build [[Reach Armor WIP]] Pic Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! When I get the whole suit painted up I'll probably wear it around the house for hours just basking in the awesomeness! Hehe.

I know that's what I'll be doing. May even go to town. LOL :p

Helmet looks like it's coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.

Heya gang! It's been a nice long Christmas break but my hands have not been idle. I give you....An Update!

Helmet progress.

I used rondo to add the "ears" to the sides of the helmet. I built a mold out of playing cards and hot glue (Another huge shout out to Cereal Killer's tutorial!).

IMG_1211.jpg

Here they are after roughing in the gaps with bondo.

IMG_1213.jpg

And after a good filing and sanding.

IMG_1214.jpg

I used the same method to add the disc shapes to the ears, only this time I used the top of a bottle of water as the mold.

IMG_1217.jpg

After shaping and sanding.

IMG_1221.jpg

Here are a few pics of some of the other areas I detailed with bondo.

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

Unfortunately I neglected to document the work between those pictures and these pictures. However, you can see the nearly finished product. I still need to glaze the helmet with spot putty and give it a wet sanding. I also need to trim around where I cut out the visor. A bit more detailing on the back of the helmet, followed by the visor installation, the addition of a couple of lights and interior padding and this helmet will be ready for paint and weathering. Woohoo!

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That, my friend, is a beautiful helmet. Someone has been doing their homework as far as detailing goes. Epic build!

Can't believe I haven't commented on this yet.

Fantastic bondo/sanding job......hopefully, I can get such a high level of skill when I start on my armor.

Beautiful work, well done! This is going to be an awesome suit when your done.

Thank you Sara! I can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel. And I think it might just be a nice blue LED light...

Stunning!
Stellar work you've done, keep it up!

Thanks Random! I just need to get a few hours set aside to finish it up then I can mark it off my list.

Continued impressive work! The only thing letting you down though is your camera, get a better one

Hehe. Yeah, every picture I have posted has been from my Iphone. I think I have a digital camera around here somewhere.

That, my friend, is a beautiful helmet. Someone has been doing their homework as far as detailing goes. Epic build!

I'll accept that compliment with a grin coming from you. You need more threads so I can subscribe to more of your work!

Can't believe I haven't commented on this yet.

Fantastic bondo/sanding job......hopefully, I can get such a high level of skill when I start on my armor.

Welcome to my build thread Corweena, thanks for checking it out! The best advice I can offer for bondo work is to take your time and go ahead and plan for hours and hours of work to get it right. Oh...and the bestest advice I could offer would be to check out Cereal Killers tutorials on bondo.

You should cast that my friend, it's a stunning piece of work

Thanks Ians. I plan on casting the helmet at some point, if only to have a clean copy to wear without that lovely resin/bondo smell.

Ooooooooooooooooooo puurrrrdy.
Nice job mate

Thanks Mike! Any more progress on your suit?

Dude, your helm is amazing.

That sounded kinda weird, but you get what I mean

**Elvis voice ON** A-thankyou. A-thankyou verreh much! **Elvis voice OFF**

The foam work is excellent and the bondo work is crazy awesome! Dont stop now!

Nothing could hold me back now! Well...almost nothing. Actually there are a slew of things that could derail me, but we wont think of them! Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!

It's coming along great. Details on the helmet look good. Keep up the good work.

Thank you very much Spartan_127. I hope to have a viable suit for con-going soon. I would like to go to Dragon Con next year, but looking online I see that almost every hotel is already booked up! Whats a nerd to do?

When you added the fiber glass layer on the inside did you add more than one layer?

I only added one layer of glass on the inside of the helmet, but I went heavy with the resin and overlapped the fiberglass pieces quite a bit and quite often.

Thanks again everyone for checking out my build!

Question to all of you accomplished visor installers out there. Is a standard motorcycle replacement visor going to be large enough to cover the vertical opening of the JFO helmet? From the measurements taken from my helmet I will need a minimum of 6" of height on the visor to cover the opening and have room to install the screw posts. I found a nice (and inexpsensive) visor on Amazon (here's the link http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Chrome-Mirror-Tinted-Motorcycle/dp/B005R5TLBM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_7) that has the silver coloring I like, but there are no measurements other than the weight of the item.

Any advice?

Update time again. The helmet is 99% complete (not including the visor, padding, paint or LED's). 1 more application of spot putty and a quick sanding with the 320 and the construction is complete. But enough talk! Here's the pics.

Here's the helmet after sanding down the spot putty.

IMG_1242_zps0fa73a28.jpg

IMG_1243_zps7a06d529.jpg

And here's the helmet with a coating of primer.

IMG_1244_zpsfdf1e714.jpg

IMG_1245_zpscd54c32d.jpg

IMG_1246_zps27862b9a.jpg

IMG_1247_zps0670e5a7.jpg

After filling some spots that showed up with the primer coat, I decided to go ahead and add the vent fins on the side of the helmet. I chose some plastic tab seperators that come with hardware containers.

IMG_1258_zpsdc871478.jpg

I used playing cards to get the shape before transferring to the plastic. Then I cut out the plastic in the shapes needed and labeled them for their locations.

IMG_1260_zpsfb9b50cd.jpg

IMG_1259_zpsd8984848.jpg

I used superglue to tack the fins into place and I plan on using some epoxy to fully cement them in.

IMG_1261_zpscddec769.jpg

IMG_1262_zps534f5860.jpg

Here are the marked locations of the last few spots that need a little spot putty before the helmet is constructed.

IMG_1263_zps400ec385.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back