My first "Halo Reach helmet and armor build"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renraku

Hello, Everyone

I am a noob in terms of making anything but I have been reading the 405th website for a longtime. I wanted to post my making of a Halo Reach helmet based on the Noble 6 design. I first started with the pepakura file "Reach Helm by BMcClain". after pepping it it sat on my shelf for a year, which I know isn't good but it turned out to be OK. A little background about myself, I am an artist and for the last 8 years I have been a computer game artist so I am no stranger to 3D files. Until this project I really didn't know anything about Bondo or Pepakura. I will post all the photos I took along the way and your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

I do want to thank "Cereal-Killl3r" for his awesome videos on Bondo and resin and the techniques he used to create custom shapes and sculpting.

Here is the concept art I used for my sculpting and shaping of the helmet.
View media item 3052
halo_reach_concept.jpg

Here is my pep work, yes I had some warping but have no fear :) Yes in the image I started to apply the Resin coat to the top.
helmet_pep01.jpg

View media item 3059I will be adding my foam armor pics and work after the helmet is complete.

Last edited:
Update since the site was down and I couldn't post while working on this my updates will come fast since i have been waiting lol...

The helmet is now all resined and waiting to be Bondo/Rondo'd...
helmet_resin01.jpg

Now the next images are more advanced since one I didnt think of taking pictures and two I wasnt sure if it would turn out at all lol... I started to add the details to to helmet after Rondoing the inside and sanding the outside. Since it was my first attempt at using the "card template technique" some of he shapes turned out crooked, I plan on fixing them later on.
View media item 3060
View attachment 254179

helmet_bondo01.jpg

Last edited:
Ok another image for tonight.... I was trying to figure out how to added the rounded ear piece and still keep the shape smooth and round. I took the bottom of one of my plastic mixing cups for the Rondo and cut-off the bottom about 2 inches up. I then cut a hole in the bottom of the now 2 inch cup so I could later pour the Rondo into it. I reinforced the plastic cup with some duct tape and then hot glued it onto the side of the helmet. Next I poured the Rondo mix into the hole and waited for it to cure some before removing the mold/cup. then after a little sculpting this is what I got..
helmet_bondo03.jpg

Also I started on the shape for the mouth vents since they were not quite the right size in the 3D model/pep file. Oh and lol I pushed too hard with a chisel and poked a hole in the side of my helmet :) oops. Easy fix though; simply apply some duct tape to the outside and put some Rondo on the inside and all fixed.

helmet_bondo02.jpg

helmet_bondo03.jpg

Last edited:
Next I molded out the ear piece detail shaped like a half moon. Lot of sanding and smoothing to do yet as you can see in the image.
helmet_bondo04.jpg

helmet_bondo04.jpg

Last edited:
Turning to the other side I started to mold out the cheek vents since the pep file didnt make them extend out far enough and I wanted to add the proper amount of detail
helmet_bondo05.jpg

helmet_bondo05.jpg

Last edited:
I need to add something on top to represent the brim that was present in the concept. I didnt like the concept one since it reminded me of a bike helmet. Also I didnt want to add that delicate of detail to the top of helmet. I may add more detail later on.
helmet_bondo06.jpg
helmet_bondo07.jpg

helmet_bondo06.jpg

helmet_bondo07.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job! I too am starting out here on the 405th.
I'm attempting to build the halo 3 recon helmet, I hope it comes out half as good as your helmet:D.

Keeping an eye on this topic! very good wip. Can't wait to see more.
Thanks, coming from a seasoned vet like yourself means alot :)

Nice job! I too am starting out here on the 405th.
I'm attempting to build the halo 3 recon helmet, I hope it comes out half as good as your helmet:D.
Thanks, I will try to continue explaining each photo and process, let me know if you have any questions.

your work looks really good so far
and the trick with the Cards seems to be very effective ^^
Keep up

Yes I have to thank "Cereal Kill3r" a member of the 405th for showing me this technique. His videos are awesome for learning how to use Bondo and Resin. Before this I had never used Bondo, so I am learning as I go.

I will post more tonight...

Update: Continuing to add more details to the helmet and reshape it where the pepakura fell short.

In this image you can see I added the side brim, this connects the front detail to the side of the helmet and gives more weight to the top. Also I have reshaped the ear piece some with sanding. I am not sure how I want to do the actual ear section yet. I may make a hole that goes right through so I can hear when wearing it lol. I would then probably make it appear to be recessed into the helmet but use a black mesh so it would look closed.

helmet_bondo08.jpg

helmet_bondo09.jpg

The pep file was very square in the back where as the helmet in the concept art was smooth and rounded. So I created a mold with cards again and did a Rondo cast. The clean up was easy with some carving with an Xacto blade and then using a power sander to work out the nice smooth curve.

helmet_bondo08.jpg

helmet_bondo09.jpg

Update:

I have carved the ear piece details but again I am not happy with the way they look. I would prefer a cleaner look and feel so I plan on filling it back in with Rondo and doing something else. Also in the image ; I re-sanded and carved into the helmet more to bring out the curves, bring out the details and then I used spot putty on a few areas.

helmet_bondo10.jpg

helmet_bondo10.jpg

Last edited:
Looking very nice! What a creative use of cards. I will have to keep that trick in mind. Keep up the good work!

Looking really good man! I will one day go for the resin/bondo helmet but I don't think I have what it takes :)

This is coming along very nicely!

Looking very nice! What a creative use of cards. I will have to keep that trick in mind. Keep up the good work!

Yes I am so grateful to the wisdom i gain from watching Cereal Kill3r's videos here on the 405th

Looking really good man! I will one day go for the resin/bondo helmet but I don't think I have what it takes :)

This is coming along very nicely!

I'm sure you could do it, before I started this I had never used Bondo or Resin. Knowledge is power you just have to apply what you learn and always be open to knowledge from any source. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Holy wow! Nice bondo work!
Thanks! :) I am new to using it but so far it working out.

great work

Outstanding work on your helmet, looking great so far can't wait to see the complete armor project with paint and battle damage, keep up the good work. Damo65.
I need to add something on top to represent the brim that was present in the concept. I didnt like the concept one since it reminded me of a bike helmet. Also I didnt want to add that delicate of detail to the top of helmet. I may add more detail later on.
helmet_bondo06.jpg
helmet_bondo07.jpg

Update: After much sanding I decided to throw on a coat of primer just to see how it looked and find all the bad spots that would need to be fixed. I don't care for how the ear piece looks so I will be redoing that soon. Also I still need to cut the vent lines in the front and add the details to the top and sides of the helmet.

helmet_bondo11.jpg

Then same shot but after much sanding and carving...seems like all I do is sand and spot putty :( but I want it to look good. Notice that I added the vent lines to the front. Much more to do though. Still don't like the ear piece lol will fill it in and try something else.

helmet_bondo12.jpg

helmet_bondo11.jpg

helmet_bondo12.jpg

Last edited:
Very decent job thus far! Your bondo work is pretty exceptional and your pictures are very clear. I can tell you take pride in your work. I'll keep my eye on this one as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back