My First Helmet/armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good Liq, I liked your weathering, very realistic! Do you know do we have a weathering tutorial on the forum, if not I think you should write one up when you re-weather your helmet.

~James

hey thanks! I kind of accidentally bumped into the way I weathered the armor. I was trying it the way I saw in a tut, and the primer was drying so fast it wouldn't wipe off, so I panicked and grabbed a rag with mineral spirits on it to wipe it off, and voila instant weathering. Now I did have to clear coat over the whole piece when I did that, but yeah I think it turned out pretty good. I'm tinkering with a similar method in my head right now for when I repaint the helmet and we'll see if it works.

I should have some painted pics up in a few days, but I'm still undecided about what colors to use. I have in front of me blue, red, white and yellow at the moment so I'll let y'all ponder on that for awhile :D

Wow, I'm impressed with your helmet touch up, and can't wait to see the rest of it! BTW, I think that you should paint it blue with yellow details (stripes). That'd look so cool!

i have to say killer work it looks like a pro made it and the paint looks really good did u airbrush i have seen some very cool weathering done with them

OK, I've got the helmet finished except for the second visor which I'll cut this week. Hopefully I'll get it right and willa ctually have the double visor look, heh. I have 100% finished my redo of my chest and backpiece. I added some cuts to the back area and dremeled in some rivet looking holes which you can't see well in my crap pics. For the chest I added some red LED lights to the boobie area, and I think they turned out well. I'm anxious to see them at night. I also ran across a new painting technique I'll be doing with the rest of the build as well. Its tough to pick up inside room pictures but it has a nice filthy and worn look to it.

Halowear127.jpg

Halowear123.jpg

Wow thats pretty paintwork on that chestplate, weathering and blackwash looks awesome. I especially like that white pinstripe :lol Gives it a unique flare!

It's looking very nice and I too like that white pinstripe you have across the chest. That is definately different!

My armor is starting to go all wrong and now I am bumming about it. :( I don't know if I even want to finish it now since nothing fits!

hey thanks! I was going to go solid red, but looking at the helmet then the chest they just seemed kind of bland, so I decided to go with the stripes. I probably won't do it on any of the other pieces. The shoulders and forearms will be done this week I'm thinking then its off to legs!

HaloGoddess said:
It's looking very nice and I too like that white pinstripe you have across the chest. That is definately different!

My armor is starting to go all wrong and now I am bumming about it. :( I don't know if I even want to finish it now since nothing fits!

don't give up. Even if the pieces don't fit you might find someone in classifieds that would be willing to take them off your hands to make molds with or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've moved along in progress pretty good the last few days. Ive done a little bondo work to the shoulders, and added some lighting to them. I've also done the same to the forearms minus the lighting as well. Yesterday I cut my second visor for the double visor look. The donor was a clear one I got from my brother for the price of free. I think it turned out pretty good, and even though I have a pretty steady dremel hand I was a bit nervous going along with it.

I have about half the codpiece finished along with messing with my thigh armor. I might cut out the hard inner thigh and replace it with foam or something. I'm still on the fence about it. I wanted to get all this done by May 20 for a con here in Birmingham, but with still needing to rework some of the bottom half and building new shins I just don't see it.

Oh heres a pic of the visor...

Halowear129.jpg

Liq said:
I've moved along in progress pretty good the last few days. Ive done a little bondo work to the shoulders, and added some lighting to them. I've also done the same to the forearms minus the lighting as well. Yesterday I cut my second visor for the double visor look. The donor was a clear one I got from my brother for the price of free. I think it turned out pretty good, and even though I have a pretty steady dremel hand I was a bit nervous going along with it.

I have about half the codpiece finished along with messing with my thigh armor. I might cut out the hard inner thigh and replace it with foam or something. I'm still on the fence about it. I wanted to get all this done by May 20 for a con here in Birmingham, but with still needing to rework some of the bottom half and building new shins I just don't see it.

Oh heres a pic of the visor...

Halowear129.jpg

You may not see it young apprentice..... BUT IT CAN BE DONE! Lol, just felt like being my cheesy self!? But seariously dude, anything you just put your mind to, can become reality. If you want to get your suit done by May 20, then get crackelakin!

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a small progress video with some of the redone stuff.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9LsZqpxHn8[/media]

got a video up of my completed redo..well i say its complete, but I still need to adjust the belt on the cod and/or add some padding so it doesn't droop. I also need to adjust the stormtrooper neckseal so I don't look like a turtle, but thats about it really. The codpiece came from Thorssolli. It is awesome, and built like a truck. I'm not going to worry about sitting on my butt with this thing like I did my pep piece from last year.

tell me what you guys think about it. I'll be taking a short break then moving on to a child size mark 6 suit for my daughter, so I'll have anew wip thread up soon heh. Oh, and sorry for my wifes crappy video work in advance, lol.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUNfaoj3bKc[/media]

Lovin that armor! I'm really thinking of doing that kind of paint style. I'm stuck between red/white, black/white, or tan/white. Such hard decisions. :lol The cod is built like a truck you say? How so? I want to be able to sit on my cod without worrying about it breaking too. How would you go about making a pep cod piece durable enough to sit on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back