My First helmet project

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieCrazy

OK so I've been a member for awhile now and i'm finally starting on my helmet. On labor day weekend I started this project and tonight, this is where i stopped. here is where I've gotten to

Please let me know how i'm doing. Also if need to post pictures in another place.
Thanks for inspiring to do this. it's been a fun time.

daaaaam man you fast. i started and odst last year and im still not anywhere with it. just have a cast helmet and a peped shoulder :p

Interesting. It looks as though you have the pep printed on cardboard? Hard to tell and not sure if that is possible ? lol
I guess you reinforced it with cardboard? Good looking wip pic though. Let us know how you go about getting the details carved out of that bondo. I'm interested to see different people's method's.

Helmet sizing

I've also started work on my first helmet since joining the forum. I do have a question however. I've placed my Halo 3 Mark VI helmet (the collectors edition case that came with the game) on my desk to use as a general guide. What it kind of bothering me is I've started from the top down. The top of the pepakura model that I am using is almost exactly the same size ( http://sites.google.com/site/soullesssin/Home/armor-files ). I am scared to death that I'm going to get this entire thing put together and its going to be to small.

I'd love some input of others that have gone through this. Thanks!

Even though you've already bondo'd, from my experience it's much easier to do bondo one surface at a time. It helps to keep edges and separate surfaces sharper and cleaner.

Yeah i learned that the hard way Bondo all at once = bad idea
Thanks for the input guys here is the update. ;)
IMG_2136.jpg

Looks good. The bondo will be a hell of a lot easier to work with if you kept it smoother. Thats going to be alot to smooth down. But lookin good

Looks good. The bondo will be a hell of a lot easier to work with if you kept it smoother. Thats going to be alot to smooth down. But lookin good

Yeah i know that after a couple hours of sanding. still thank you for input. Oh well. Thank goodness for power tools. i'll post a video tonight that i will make wilw i'm working today.

Yeah i know that after a couple hours of sanding. still thank you for input. Oh well. Thank goodness for power tools. i'll post a video tonight that i will make wilw i'm working today.

You can get a cheest grater, or file to help level off major inconsistencies in the filler

I would wait until you were done with all your sanding and painting before installing the foam and fans, otherwise they are going to get completely covered with bondo dust and spray paint. And that spot putty is really just for filling small scratches and dips, it does not hold up well at all to sanding.

Not trying to bash. Your helmet is coming along nicely and you certainly have all the right tools for the job. Just trying to save you some frustration. But then again, trial and error and experience are the best teachers. Keep up the good work and keep posting those pics.

And that spot putty is really just for filling small scratches and dips, it does not hold up well at all to sanding.
Aha! I knew there was something not quite right with the pic when I saw it. Hollywood is right about the sanding part. Most of it will just crumble away and hardly any will be left sticking to the helmet after you're done. You should have sanded down the body filler first until it had become somewhat smooth and even and then use spot putty to fill in any holes or gouges and then sand it down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back