My Mark VI "Sister" Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on how thick you're rondo is on the inside coat you may not need Bondo for some of the parts. Just sand down the outside curves then spot putty the little air pockets.

I was using a technique that Mighty John used instead of bondo he uses joint compound. its less hazardous, a little more dusty, but It is SO MUCH easier to work with. It was very helpful for one of my Ironman Builds

thanks Knowledge, Ill have to look into that one. Only problem is I already have a huge container of bondo I wanna get rid of xD haha.

dropping by to check on your build. Looks really good! I'm still slacking=/ I have my whole undersuit bought and the pepakura is kicking my ass. I hope everything goes well with your build!

Thanks for stoppin by! Hopefully by having the undersuit already bought you will be more motivated to finish the suit :p

I have a feeling this is going to be a fantastic suit when you're finished with it. Your progress so far is quite good. Keep it up! We all want to see more! lol.

Rex out.

thankya rex! I hope it will be a good one too

Looks amazing! You work quick!

thankyou deadpool!

Depending on how thick you're rondo is on the inside coat you may not need Bondo for some of the parts. Just sand down the outside curves then spot putty the little air pockets.

Yeah thats what I've started to do in the pics that I showed on the page before this, but I know that I only did one rondo layer so in order to get some nice curves going on ill have to layer a little bondo on top. But sanding down just the rondo definitley works in some areas!

SO! I went to the store and bought some black foamy sheets to do the helmet details ( the black areas in the pic below)
I was wondering if anyone had any good reference shots of the details so I know how to cut the foamies out?? Its odd, but Ive googled and searched on 405th and cant find any pics of the underside of the helmet that would show the visor details or side pics of the helmet.

(black details in this pic are what I'm trying to cut out. I just cant see them very well)
spartan_mark_vi_helmet_by_neo_rock-d34unwe.jpg

(foam sheets im using)
44375.jpg

I believe I can help here. Try this HD Model by FLYINGSQUIRL: http://www.4shared.com/file/GF9jlUqI/Mark_VI_helmet__Final_FS_versi.html

With this you can use the templates to make your foam upgrades. The model also includes templates for the rear section of the helmet as well. (If you do end up using these make sure the scale is the same as your helmet!)

Hope this helps and is a fair return...

thankyou for that! My only concern is that I used a helmet model that was not created by Flyingsquirl (the one who created did the model you sent me) And idk if the details will fit a different helmet

As long as you are trying to put the details on the same type of helmet it should not be a problem. But if you want to be on the safe side you can try printing out one of the largest template pieces and double check the size to be sure the size is correct. After you have checked that you can use the same scale of whatever you adjusted to fit all the rest of the pieces. That should give you success...

Good luck with the foam parts. If you're like the way it comes out, you should try a full foam suit, I started on a foam suit, and so far so good! it's really campfy! :p

Ok guys, heres my helmet! I rondo'd the inside this evening and have been working on sanding it. Theres some minor warping that only I am really noticing, so all in all I think it turned out pretty okay! Thanks for all of the sanding tips people :)

Photo285.jpg

As long as you are trying to put the details on the same type of helmet it should not be a problem. But if you want to be on the safe side you can try printing out one of the largest template pieces and double check the size to be sure the size is correct. After you have checked that you can use the same scale of whatever you adjusted to fit all the rest of the pieces. That should give you success...

Thanks for that then, I've been using the pics of the pieces in pepakura to as reference to make the details and its working out pretty well

Good luck with the foam parts. If you're like the way it comes out, you should try a full foam suit, I started on a foam suit, and so far so good! it's really campfy! :p

i think my next build will be part-foam xD
Good luck, hope it works out.

thanks!

Helmet looks great! did you resin it before you rondoed it? Resining it and letting it cure for 24 hours helps reduce the warping...

It's looking good, Anna! I would have gone with a MK VI for my first build, but I decided to go with a less popular build, so maybe one day. but your's is lookin BFAB!!

tip: people often dont follow this, but use light coats of bondo, then use low grit sand paper and ork your way up. if you dont, youll get uneven coats and it wont look right. great job so far!

So after a day of adding bondo, sanding, and painting, here is my helmet:
it didnt turn out as good as I'd hoped it would (it looks kinda cheapish in person) but nonetheless I think that once the visor is in and I add more physical details to it, it will look better (also the visor area isnt fully cut out obviously)

Also as you can see, I will be painting my armor yellow for the character "Sister" from Red vs Blue. Also I just really like the way yellow looks. I'm doing some black detailing because I've seen some other 405thers do it (like longshot and some others) and I think it looks cool with the yellow.

Photo309.jpg

Photo308.jpg

Photo307.jpg

PS does anyone know what you use to cover those vent areas in the front of the helmet? It kind of looks like people are using a bendy tube thats been cut in half ??

edit: Thankyou everyone who gave the tips about sanding and bondoing; adding light coats of bondo was definitely the way to go

So after a day of adding bondo, sanding, and painting, here is my helmet:
it didnt turn out as good as I'd hoped it would (it looks kinda cheapish in person) but nonetheless I think that once the visor is in and I add more physical details to it, it will look better (also the visor area isnt fully cut out obviously)

Also as you can see, I will be painting my armor yellow for the character "Sister" from Red vs Blue. Also I just really like the way yellow looks. I'm doing some black detailing because I've seen some other 405thers do it (like longshot and some others) and I think it looks cool with the yellow.

PS does anyone know what you use to cover those vent areas in the front of the helmet? It kind of looks like people are using a bendy tube thats been cut in half ??

That work best if you are referring to to ***"vents" at the front.

Seems most people are using cord covers/organizers for the forward vents. I found some at Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart and Target recently. Pretty cheap too.

Also, holy crap. That looks awesome! Everytime I check back to this build, it looks better and better. I really can't wait to see the finished suit. Keep up the awesome work!

Rex out.

EDIT: This stuff
cableorganizer.jpg

Dang!!! Its awesome!!! Just that alone is really neat. I can't wait to see what you do next...

thankyou!!
Seems most people are using cord covers/organizers for the forward vents. I found some at Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart and Target recently. Pretty cheap too.

Also, holy crap. That looks awesome! Everytime I check back to this build, it looks better and better. I really can't wait to see the finished suit. Keep up the awesome work!

Rex out.

EDIT: This stuff
cableorganizer.jpg

Ooo thankyou, at first I didnt really know what cord things you were talking about, but now I get it. I think I found some on amazon that are wicked cheap, ill be ordering those soon. And thanks for the support!
Doesn't look cheap to me. Adding the visor will really help make the helmet look "legit". Also, try giving it a light blackwash and scratches to simulate a metal wear-and-tear look.

As for the vents, as has been mentioned, cable organizing tubes work best. If you'd like, check out Page 5 of my suit build to see how I did it:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31247-Spitfire22V-s-LD-Mark-VI-build-Now-Completed/page5

Ehhh well my crappy laptop camera doesnt really show the cheapness in my opinion. But definitely adding the visor and the vents will help it. Your right though, I need to run over to the store and grab some silver spray paint to get some weathering going on.

Also thank you for the link to your thread, thatll help a lot when I start putting my own vents in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back