My Mark VI "Sister" Build WIP

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Annanymous, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Xarmymustang

Xarmymustang

Bummer on the first attempt for the helm, but im sure as good as your artistic ability is it will come out immaculate :D

2. Annanymous

Annanymous Well-Known Member

haha yeah some pieces are really weird scale wise! Like, even though you may scale the height as 10 inches high it will not really turn out 10 inches high. I guess this is one of those models; (I scaled it at 270 mm high which is larger than most helmets are scaled and it was still too small.) But oh well, I'm 1/2 done cutting out the new one anyway.
    yeeeah I'm not too stressed about it. Cutting the pieces out isn't too bad anyway.

3. Kwameninja

Kwameninja Member

My magnum is gonna look great with that suit! (;

4. Annanymous

thats exactly why I wanted a magnum xD kat+magnum = bffs. Itll also look real cool with the mark 6 build.

5. ODST TJ92

ODST TJ92 Jr Member

Are you going to use Kat helmet on your current Mark VI armor and paint it yellow like the rest of the armor?

6. Annanymous

Naww I'm goingto paint it Kat colors :)

7. SpartanT117

SpartanT117

Sweet! so are you planning a whole new build, or just gonna set the 'ol Kat helmet on the dresser as a display?

8. Annanymous

well, Halogoddess, a fellow 405th member, built a kat suit that she needed to get rid of to make space for her new build. So since I am such a big fan of her build I bought it from her! (All pieces except for the helmet that is.) I know that some of the pieces will be to short as I am taller than her, so I will be rebuilding some pieces for sure as well as making a kat-undersuit. I haven't received it yet in the mail though because Halogoddess is having some issues getting a box from work to ship it in, but I when I get it I'll make a new thread for the new stuff I will be adding to it and the custom undersuit I'll be making for it. :)

9. SpartanT117

SpartanT117

Amazing. :)

10. Xarmymustang

Xarmymustang

Can't wait to see it. Ya don't see too many Kat suits so im sure it will be awesomeness!!!

11. Annanymous

haha yeah, well I can't take credit for it since most of it will have been made by Halogoddess :p

12. LilTyrant

LilTyrant

Hurray for Kat! :) I'm excited to see how your helmet turns out!

13. Annanymous

So here is a mini update, I just wanted to show that I was able to put lights in the front part of the chest plate (if you can even tell from this pic.) They are book lights that I just cut the clips off of and diffused with hot glue.

****By the way, ive noticed that my chest piece is cracking a little but on the edges when I take it off/ put it on. Does anyone know anything I can put inside the piece to strengthen it? Some sort of spray foam or anything to strengthen it?? I would be SO bummed if it broke just from wearing it ... :/

Also, the Reach Magnum you are seeing in one of the pics was NOT made by me. It was made by a talented 405th member named Kwameninja who takes commissions to make weapons. Check out his stuff!

Photo315-1.jpg

--My kat helmet and anything kat related was moved to its own thread so that the 2 projects dont overlap. So feel free to check it out, the link is right below this in my signature :)

14. SpartanT117

SpartanT117

aggggh, can I haz M6 and beautifully awesome chestpiece???!?!?!?!?!? lol it's all looking great!!!! :D I especially like your ingenuity with the hot glue!!!

15. vshore100

vshore100

You could always Rondo the areas that are a little weak. You could pour a little in the affected area, lay a piece of fiber glass cloth or matte down, press it into the Rondo, then pour a bit more over that to strengthen it up a bit. Hope this helps. Everything looks great!:)

16. Annanymous

thanka xD
    thanks for the tips, yeah I was afraid that someone would say more rondo, lol! Arrg how I hate rondo! Its so messy and expensive too. Maybe I will try putting some resin/ fiberglass cloth? At least that is a little bit cleaner and stronger (I think.)

17. vshore100

vshore100

Yes, of course the resin and cloth will work too.:)

18. Starvinartist80

Starvinartist80 Well-Known Member

I put self-expanding foam in voids around the bottom of the ribcage. This had two effects. One, it did provide some extra strength in a high stress area, however, it also caused a couple areas to be pushed out on either side due the pressure caused by the expansion. In hind sight I would stick with reinforcing it with fiberglass. Yes, its a bit more pricy and somewhat more "messy" but the results are worth the extra effort.

19. SpartanT117

SpartanT117

take the advice of the teacher. lol very good observations, don't think I could have come up with that. :p

20. Cinderblock

Cinderblock Member

nice work, this is really coming along :)

21. hey Anna!
    i love your build, its turning out great! i love the whole black in the recessed areas, it makes it stand out. but i do have a question. im making my own armor, but i dont get it. do i use fiberglass mat/cloth, or rondo, or both? ive heard all 3 so im confused. id like to hear what you did!
    UNSC LT commander

22. thorn696

thorn696

The lighting looks great as well as the Chest Plate.

23. Annanymous

thanks for the advice,- I think I am goingto use your tips and probably avoid the expanding foam, I would not want the foam to get into any cracks and break it apart completely lol.
    thankyou
    Well thanks UNSC LT!
    What I, and a lot of other 405thers, do is take the paper model and covered the outside in a thin layer of resin to give it a little bit of strength. Then I combine 1/2 resin and 1/2 bondo (and the bondo hardner) together and pour it into the piece I want to harden. I kinda just move it around so that it covers the inside.- But I'm finding that one layer of rondo isnt really strong enough soo make sure you add enough so that it doesnt break easily.
    thanks thorn!

24. hello again,
    so i take it there is no fiberglass mat in your projects? well thats good, cause i did but any haha ^^; but thanks alot anna, its nice to finally get the info from a reliable source.
    UNSC LT commander

25. Annanymous

yeah as of right now there is none, I may be adding some to reinforce pieces it later. Also you can find a lot more info on this kind of stuff in the forum stickies.